Star Wars The Old Republic - Pre Launch Guild Program

A place to comment anything about other (not SWGO supported) games.

Re: Star Wars The Old Republic - Pre Launch Guild Program

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I am still going to play it and give it a try however as Yanoda mentioned guild wars 2 will be out soon and as I have played GW before I will also be trying this out.

I've never paid for a monthly game subscription before but if it is no good then I won't be playing it.

Regards,

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby Dad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Buck_Furious wrote:
Dad wrote:Question. is this like world of warcrap? Do you pay for the game, then have to pay monthly, just to play it? Do you have to spend silly amounts of time keeping up "skills" and that sort of nonsense?

Yes, yes and yes. Just hopefully with not as many idiots as warcrap.

Well, that just blows monkey nuts. Count me out too.
i weep for the future

later
Dad
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: dadkills

Postby haasd0gg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 pm

'Star Wars' vs. 'World of Warcraft' - the gauntlet is thrown

Will "Star Wars: The Old Republic" be able to take on "World of Warcraft"? EA thinks so.

By Winda Benedetti

When it comes to "Star Wars: The Old Republic," the folks at EA who are publishing the massively multiplayer online game clearly have their eyes on a very particular prize: "World of Warcraft" and its 12 million subscribers.
EA wants those players to leave their online universe of orcs and elves for a new online universe filled with Sith and Jedi. And they seem to feel confident players are going to do so.
And as "The Old Republic" launch nears, the game publisher seems to be stepping up the "WoW" vs. "Star" Wars" trash talk.
In an interview with Industry Gamers this week, Frank Gibeau, head of the EA Games, suggested that "WoW" is an aging game and that playing it can feel like tending to a "shopping list."
"When I play 'World of Warcraft,' you go and get your quests, and you go and do your quests, but it feels more like doing a shopping list at times," Gibeau said. "[Our game] is more about talking to characters, learning what’s going on, investing in it, getting emotionally attached to it. You can still go in accessible ways and grind out quests if you want, but at the same time there’s a higher-level story that’s carrying you through 'The Old Republic.'"

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
Meanwhile, speaking at the Goldman Sachs conference last month, EA CEO John Riccitiello said they expect "The Old Republic" to get "a big chunk" of the "WoW" market.
Riccitiello also said that the acting and dialogue in "The Old Republic" will make "WoW" look like a "silent movie" by comparison.
Oh snap!
Certainly it's no surprise that EA is talking up their forthcoming massively multiplayer game. EA has said that "The Old Republic" is their largest project ever and that makes it a big and potentially risky investment.
But "Star Wars" is hardly a David to the "WoW" goliath. No, I'd give that title to "Rift"– the upstart MMO launched earlier this month which has been earning good reviews and a growing following. But, as a new intellectual property, it has an uphill battle to fight if it wants to steal away a significant number of "WoW" players.
"Star Wars" on the other hand has ... well ... "Star Wars." And that's going to help make it a serious "WoW" contender from the get-go.
Yes, some early hands-on reports suggest "Star Wars: TOR" does feel similar to "WoW." But these are based on just a small sneak peek of what is sure to be an epic game – one that not only features fully-voice acted dialog (unlike "WoW") but an epic story created by the developers BioWare, a company highly regarded for the story telling it brought to games like "Mass Effect" and "Dragon Age."
advertisement

Meanwhile, despite having a lot to say about how their forthcoming game compares to "WoW," the folks at EA insist "TOR" is not a "WoW" knock off.
Gibeau certainly acknowledged that EA learned "lessons" from "WoW," but in his interview with Industry Gamers he was keen to talk up the things that will make "The Old Republic" stand apart from its massively-popular competition.
"It’s a sci-fi IP, it’s Jedis and Sith, you own your starship, you go to planets, you have the Force; it’s very different than orcs and humans and night elves and the rest," he said. "On the first level, the IPs are highly different, the gameplay highly differentiated, and the stories highly differentiated," he said.
In fact, he's especially keen to point out that with "TOR" it will be "the first time an MMO has actually had a story."
"We’re not being slavish or imitating them at all. We’re doing our own thing. We’re doing our own unique way," Gibeau said.
All of this "Star Wars" talk aside, plenty of folks are betting that it will be Blizzard's forthcoming MMO game "Titan" that will be the game that actually takes down Blizzard's MMO game "World of Warcraft."
One thing is for sure, when you're sitting on the top of the hill, you make for a very large target.
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 pm

To be honest WOW lost a lot of popularety (where i live)
Most people who i know quit it because they got bored by it.

We will see how SWTOR goes....

But WOW can still counter this and bring a WOW2 on the market instead of their infinite expansion packs.
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 am

I can't say anything specific, but it's pretty fun from the testing I've done so far. Still planning to buy it on release (which is "maybe some time between July and December"...)
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby WD-40 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:56 am

Well, I saw the video, and I must say that I would get bored very fast if I had to have 'conversations' with another character to get to the action. I'd rather it was just a 'blow crap up' kinda game. Character development is a waste of time. In the video, instead of selecting a 'verbal' response, why cant an option be "Pull gun out of holster and double-tap two shots to other character's forehead", in order to move things along faster?...And also, I won't pay a monthly charge for the 'privledge' of playing the dang game.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Jedi Power » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 am

Amen WD. I bought Knights of the Old Rebublic when it came out and I didn't play it very long. I am not good on those adventure games where there is a task and a conversation. My favorite games have been the X-Wing and Battlefront series because it is straight forward combat. Another thing about KOTOR or the new The Old Republic is the fighting style. I can't stand to chop a character with a lightsaber or shoot them 25 times before the character falls. The battles seem so contrived. And now we are talking about a monthly fee? Forget about it!
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Origin ID: SWGO_Jedi_Power

Postby Mandalore » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:00 pm

WoW has 14 million subscribers now roflmao. An industry record by far.
For anyone who wasn't expecting an MMO for a MMO, I guess I'm sorry? Don't know where you were mislead along the way. Really we all knew the game had two options, subbing or MTs. I think they went with a mix though If I'm not mistaken?
After watching the video I can say I wish the game was a bit more like old school EQ but I guess I'd just go play EVE if I wanted a game to be ridiculously complex. ^_^
Edit: after reading Jammie's last post I have to say I doubt SW:TOR will get even close to WoW in terms of subscribers. The one thing that Blizzard initiated and mastered in the MMO industry was advertising. For SW:TOR I have yet to see one advertisement on TV or even on other web-sites besides SW orientated ones. We also have to factor in "the first MMO experience" for the majority of people who started off on WoW.
Last edited by Mandalore on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I don't think they're planning microtransactions. Does anyone have a source that says otherwise?
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Previous

Return to PC Games