Revolution in MMO's? GW2

A place to comment anything about other (not SWGO supported) games.

Revolution in MMO's? GW2

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Mon May 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Well in case you guys didn't know Guild Wars 2 is comming out "soonish" this year.
Before i continue unlike most MMO's GW2 is free after buying the box, no monthly fee.
I'd say that for MMO's the systems they came up with are kinda revolutionary because they are ditching the old MMO systems.

For starters all current MMO's even SWTOR use the "Holy trinity system" which involves tanks, healers, and damage(Dps)
Instead of giving extemely detailed written comments i'm gonna base this thread of videos....
The "holy trinity" system:

Developers opinion:

Now GW2 is getting rid of that system, alongside other things, these are 10 reasons why to be interested in this game, FYI, before thinking "MMO's is much diffrent then FPS games, in MMO's you take turns beating on each other(like KOTOR) but GW2 has dynamic combat so it feels much more like something similar to a FPS but with an MMO theme to it)

Now the "lille" things, a few of them are a mayor to me.

The PVP system (this video link ain't working directly so it's being redirected)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VKhrCDWfg&feature=relmfu

Now since most here will be interested in PVP
Part 1 review: (FYI these guys are meh tough, just saying :lol: )

Part 2

Oh and here is a link to the 8 classes videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alexrediculous

A lot of info, so please i'd like to hear lots and lots of thoughts about it

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Re: Revolution in MMO's? GW2

Postby Mandalore » Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 pm

In theory they're doing away with the "holy trinity" system, however in practice a roughly analogous system will prevail. You'll see some characters decked out to increase healing efficiency, decked out for tanking, for burst DPS, for sustained DPS and what not. While there isn't a "dedicated" healer almost all of the other roles have traditional castings.

The gameplay itself in terms of how you control your character and battle enemies isn't exactly novel, it just seems like that in comparison to the American/European mainstage of MMOs. In Asia, where NCSoft originates from I believe (Korea?) MMOs like this are the norm rather than the exception, thinking along the lines of Mabinogi Heroes (Vindictus).
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Tue May 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Well tough almost none replied to this thread i am getting very positive feedback trew Xfire.

@mandy

Tough i did notice some characters have a more defensive build then others(especially the guardian) there can't be tanks because:
1- No way of them to get aggro, while wielding a shield said classes have no "threat" increasing abilities, so that said a "damage" dealing class would have the mob on him
2- Every class has 1 heal, depending on how said heal is traited it can become an AOE heal for everybody, however you can't "target" a certain member in the group and heal him, wich makes tanks more obsolete, since if only 1 person would get beaten on there would be no way to get his hit points back up.

From what devs state the system would be preventing damage, if you actually need to recover hit point/morale/life in their eyes your already losing, it's all about preventing damage done, the tanking role got changed to "control" which is basicly CCing/Debuffing enemies and whatnot, while healing got changed to support, in which a "heal" could be suportive but not the main thing, support focuses on cross profession combinacions buffs and whatnot.

Every class depending entirely on what weapons they use(or in the case of an elementalist which attunement they use) they can fit either of the 3 roles (support, controll and damage) in their own way.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby SuperHappyMan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:32 pm

It's an MMO. It's not revolutionizing anything, just providing a new take on the same concept. Getting rid of the "Holy Trinity" isn't a revolution, it's just the opposite of having one. I would consider a revolutionary MMO one that actually realizes that people are, you know, people and that they like to interact with other people in a variety of different ways that don't just revolve around conflict or [m'kay] about. EVE is kinda close to that, but it's so ridiculously hard to get into that I can't really consider it terribly excellent. But really, GW2 is just another MMO with another gimmick. I'm sure it'll do fairly well, but it's hardly something to get into an orgasmic joy about.
SuperHappyMan
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 pm

SuperHappyMan wrote:It's not revolutionizing anything, just providing a new take on the same concept. I'm sure it'll do fairly well, but it's hardly something to get into an orgasmic joy about.

Well i just mencioned "revolution" in the topic name because they simply go away from anything iv'e seen in any other MMO.
Really bold changes like:
-The trinity
-Dynamic quests/events
-Defacto grouping
-Down/up lvl scaling
-Dynamic combat
-5-man raids(instead of 12)
-No endless grind
(list goes on)

From what i'm seeing with all the MMO's iv'e played is that 99% of the time the players alwayes have the same issues, or things they want to change in current MMO's, some simple changes could make things much easier, and everything i ever suggested, or any really good suggestions that make sence that iv'e seen being suggested in other MMO's are being added to GW2, tough for FPS gamers this won't sound special, for MMO gamers it's a big chance, it's gonna be interesting to see how far they go.....

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby SuperHappyMan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:49 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:
SuperHappyMan wrote:It's not revolutionizing anything, just providing a new take on the same concept. I'm sure it'll do fairly well, but it's hardly something to get into an orgasmic joy about.

Well i just mencioned "revolution" in the topic name because they simply go away from anything iv'e seen in any other MMO.
Really bold changes like:
-The trinity
-Dynamic quests/events
-Defacto grouping
-Down/up lvl scaling
-Dynamic combat
-5-man raids(instead of 12)
-No endless grind
(list goes on)

From what i'm seeing with all the MMO's iv'e played is that 99% of the time the players alwayes have the same issues, or things they want to change in current MMO's, some simple changes could make things much easier, and everything i ever suggested, or any really good suggestions that make sence that iv'e seen being suggested in other MMO's are being added to GW2, tough for FPS gamers this won't sound special, for MMO gamers it's a big chance, it's gonna be interesting to see how far they go.....

MT

Yeah, I suppose that's a fair point. I'm sorry for attacking you based on that revolution thing, it's probably me just getting pissed that MMOs still haven't gone terribly far beyond "YEAH KILL [poo] GET LEVELS DING [m'kay]". Ah well.
SuperHappyMan
Community Member

Postby mrjamwin » Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Holy [poo] SuperHappyMan showing a sensitive side? :eek:
mrjamwin
SWBF2 Admin

Postby SuperHappyMan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 pm

mrjamwin wrote:Holy [poo] SuperHappyMan showing a sensitive side? :eek:

MMOs are very dear to my heart and I treat them with the utmost seriousness. That and honestly seeing Minas go from barely literate to pretty [m'kay] great at English has given me some hope in regards to other members, so I guess that psychologized me into a nicer guy or some [poo].

(but for the love of [m'kay] Minas go easy on the commas they don't deserve so much use)
SuperHappyMan
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 pm

SuperHappyMan wrote:Yeah, I suppose that's a fair point. I'm sorry for attacking you based on that revolution thing, it's probably me just getting pissed that MMOs still haven't gone terribly far beyond "YEAH KILL [poo] GET LEVELS DING [m'kay]". Ah well.

Yea well that's something iv'e hated in MMO's a boring grind, LVLing especially when lvling a second toon is extremly boring, just the same quests, pick up a quest kill things collect things go back turn em in, boring as hell GW2 has dynamic lvling and trows that kind of system out of the window, you never know what happens next quests come to you.
Much will depend on the variety, but we'll see.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SuperHappyMan wrote:MMOs are very dear to my heart and I treat them with the utmost seriousness. That and honestly seeing Minas go from barely literate to pretty [m'kay] great at English has given me some hope in regards to other members, so I guess that psychologized me into a nicer guy or some [poo].

(but for the love of [m'kay] Minas go easy on the commas they don't deserve so much use)

Well i try and do what i can with my English, and em....let's just say that when i was away, i was the youngest guy in the guild i'm in while playing lotro and we use ventrillo for all comunication so :gunsmilie:
Ill try and work on the commas a little bit if i'm not too lazy to check

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Acesonnall » Tue May 08, 2012 10:35 pm

:lol:
-------------------

This'll be my first time playing this game then. Never appealed to me before.
My temporary site: http://flavors.me/acesonnall
3DS FC: 2750 - 1690 - 5913
(Let me know when you add me so I can add you back)
Stupidity indeed knows no bounds.
Acesonnall
Community Member

Next

Return to PC Games