Star Wars 1313 on hold?

A place to comment anything about other (not SWGO supported) games.

Star Wars 1313 on hold?

Postby CommanderOtto » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:06 am

another star wars game that looks like it's being cancelled but we will have to wait and see... Here's the article from Gamespot:

Three independent sources have told Kotaku that development on Star Wars 1313 has been frozen since Disney acquired the Star Wars brand in October. As a result, the action shooter could miss this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo and slip into 2014, they said.

This contradicts comments from LucasArts at the time of the Disney acquisition. A representative said at the time that development on all projects continued unabated.

Asked about the status of Star Wars 1313, a LucasArts representative told the site that the game is not canceled, but would not say more.

"LucasArts has been working diligently to take advantage of the tremendous opportunities that the new Star Wars movies present," the company said. "Star Wars 1313 continues production."

Kotaku's sources also provided new development details on Star Wars 1313. The game was reportedly conceived in 2009 as a tie-in to a live-action Star Wars television show that was to be set between the original Star Wars films and the prequel movies. The game was called Underworld at the time, the sources said, noting it would feature adult themes.

The sources added that Underworld/Star Wars 1313 was originally planned as an open-world role-playing game in a similar vein to BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series. Episodic character updates were to be delivered through regular downloadable content expansions.

This game was scaled back in 2010 due to budget concerns, the sources said, and was rewritten with a plot not related to the TV show. It was also at this time that LucasArts was reportedly looking to reinvent itself and was considering Star Wars spin-offs in new genres. The company was supposedly considering a Star Wars version of FarmVille and a Call of Duty-esque first-person shooter code-named Trigger.

The report goes on to detail a 2011 or 2012 meeting where Star Wars creator George Lucas saw Star Wars 1313 and "loved" it. He also reportedly told developers to have the game answer questions like "Who is Boba Fett?" and "Why was Han working for Jabba?" and "Who were the Bothan spies?"

The game's last public showing came eight months ago during the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo in June.

For more on Star Wars 1313, check out GameSpot's previous coverage of Star Wars 1313.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/star-wars-1313-on-hold-6404659

NOTE: I recommend looking at the video at the bottom of the article in the link.

CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Re: Star Wars 1313 on hold?

Postby Darth Crater » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 am

CommanderOtto wrote:The report goes on to detail a 2011 or 2012 meeting where Star Wars creator George Lucas saw Star Wars 1313 and "loved" it. He also reportedly told developers to have the game answer questions like "Who is Boba Fett?" and "Why was Han working for Jabba?" and "Who were the Bothan spies?"

And this is the reason why Lucas should never be let anywhere near Star Wars.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby Col. Hstar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:34 am

Darth Crater wrote:
CommanderOtto wrote:The report goes on to detail a 2011 or 2012 meeting where Star Wars creator George Lucas saw Star Wars 1313 and "loved" it. He also reportedly told developers to have the game answer questions like "Who is Boba Fett?" and "Why was Han working for Jabba?" and "Who were the Bothan spies?"

He would have gone on to make a series about Han solo when he was a kid :lol:
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10 pm

lol blinking ewoks is why he should not touch star wars anymore :lol:

anyway, I wish we had more star wars games with awesome graphics like those. We really need new stuff. I wonder what happened to the battlefront type game for xbox live arcade?
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:33 am

So disney is to blaim?

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby THEWULFMAN » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Darth Crater wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more Crater. I swear he doesn't read any of the books.

I was looking forward to seeing 1313, would suck if they canceled it.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby CommanderOtto » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:51 pm

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Darth Crater wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more Crater. I swear he doesn't read any of the books.

I was looking forward to seeing 1313, would suck if they canceled it.

it's very probable... since swbf3 was cancelled and looked like it was almost ready, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing with this game. When a company buys another company, the new owners usually "cut costs" by firing people and destroying ongoing projects. Why? because in this case disney just bought the star wars name, which wasn't cheap, so they are out of money... and finally, there is a bad year ahead since the U.S government just reduced spending, which means the economy is going to slow down, at least for this year. Basically that results in less sales for Disney (movies, park tickets, toys....).
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby 11_Panama_ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:51 am

LOL Otto, you almost sound like you know what you're talking about. Disney broke? Highly unlikely. Disney owns more than you know. Let's use ESPN, one of their acquirements, is alone worth 40 billion. Now add ABC family of networks, the parks worldwide (remember, they have them in Japan and France also, not just the U.S.), cruise ships, islands, production companies and a lot more than I list. Broke? Where do you get your information from?
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 am

11_Panama_ wrote:LOL Otto, you almost sound like you know what you're talking about. Disney broke? Highly unlikely. Disney owns more than you know. Let's use ESPN, one of their acquirements, is alone worth 40 billion. Now add ABC family of networks, the parks worldwide (remember, they have them in Japan and France also, not just the U.S.), cruise ships, islands, production companies and a lot more than I list. Broke? Where do you get your information from?

i'm not saying they are broke, wrong choice of words. What I mean is that this is just common practice when a large company buys another. I suppose this is the reason they are stopping the game production, they just made massive spending to buy star wars, so they will probably want to cut costs. They are probably invading Lucasfilm with groups of people to see all the projects that were going on, see if it is still viable to continue, how many people are working on this, how much money was put into this, when will it be ready, should it continue and so on.... And regarding the next year...the economy really sucks right now and when the government puts less money out there, the economy slows down even more.

but again, this is what I suppose is happening, but this is what usually happens when one company buys another. Many things are scrapped and people fired (sometimes management, sometimes much more)
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Doves » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 am

Over the shoulder view? Disgusting.
Doves
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: whendovescry
Steam ID: circles308

Next

Return to PC Games