So EA just teased a new Battlefront

A place to comment anything about other (not SWGO supported) games.

So EA just teased a new Battlefront

Postby THEWULFMAN » Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Source: http://m.gamespot.com/news/ea-teases-new-star-wars-battlefront-game-6408642

Summary: Electronic Arts has teased that one of its multiple in-development Star Wars titles is an all-new Battlefront game. Speaking today during the Stifel 2013 Technology Conference, CFO Blake Jorgensen offered the hint.

"The opportunity to do a new Battlefront, for example, which is one of the very popular Star Wars games, or some of the other traditional games that were made, is very exciting."

Star Wars: Battlefront III, despite never actually being announced, was reportedly 99 percent complete, though this claim was contested.

Jorgensen further explained that its new Star Wars games stand to benefit from the marketing potential at Disney, a company that owns many consumer-focused enterprises like amusement parks, film studios, cruise lines, and media outlets.

He also reiterated that EA's new Star Wars games will not be based specifically on any of the upcoming Star Wars films, though they may be released near them to leverage the marketing opportunity.

"These aren't movie games, per se; these are stand-alone games," Jorgensen said. "But obviously they would come out near the movies and be able to tailgate off of some of the buzz that will be created around the new Star Wars movies.

Discuss. I personally want to hear who the developer is before thinking much about it. Might be DICE but who knows.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Re: So EA just teased a new Battlefront

Postby [NR]Delta » Thu May 23, 2013 1:57 am

I'm betting on a battlefield 3 type game with star wars unit skins, weapons and vehicles. Although that isn't by itself a bad thing, it certainly won't be anywhere even close to what swbf2 is like. With BF3, EA/DICE sacrificed the core gameplay mechanics of battlefield 2 for a call-of-duty style gameplay, then covered up their hack job with hundreds of useless unlocks and weapons. Additionally, this probably means we'll have to install Origin, which EA' spyware, and the game itself will have to run off of battlelog, which is a main menu based off a web browser. That means every time you switch servers, you have to fully restart the game. Also, Battlelog is extremely vulnerable to DDOS attacks, as demonstrated about a month ago.
In conclusion, I think an EA/DICE SWBF3 will be utter garbage- EA's strategy seems to be to dumb down every franchise, to make it more like COD, so it can attract the "casual" gaming crowd, which is the one thing that still fuels COD's unbelievable sales. The battlefront franchise as we know it is probably dead.
Leader of Team New Republic.
[NR]Delta
Community Member

Xfire: delta4343

Postby Doves » Thu May 23, 2013 2:01 am

[NR]Delta wrote:I'm betting on a battlefield 3 type game with star wars unit skins, weapons and vehicles. Although that isn't by itself a bad thing, it certainly won't be anywhere even close to what swbf2 is like. With BF3, EA/DICE sacrificed the core gameplay mechanics of battlefield 2 for a call-of-duty style gameplay, then covered up their hack job with hundreds of useless unlocks and weapons. Additionally, this probably means we'll have to install Origin, which EA' spyware, and the game itself will have to run off of battlelog, which is a main menu based off a web browser. That means every time you switch servers, you have to fully restart the game. Also, Battlelog is extremely vulnerable to DDOS attacks, as demonstrated about a month ago.
In conclusion, I think an EA/DICE SWBF3 will be utter garbage- EA's strategy seems to be to dumb down every franchise, to make it more like COD, so it can attract the "casual" gaming crowd, which is the one thing that still fuels COD's unbelievable sales. The battlefront franchise as we know it is probably dead.

Doves
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: whendovescry
Steam ID: circles308

Postby [NR]Delta » Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 am

Well, what am I supposed to say? EA's done a great job of butchering every franchise they touch. On a side note, I did find a team who was trying to recreate SWBF2 using the Cryengine 3, and that looks fairly promising.
[NR]Delta
Community Member

Postby THEWULFMAN » Thu May 23, 2013 3:07 am

[NR]Delta wrote:On a side note, I did find a team who was trying to recreate SWBF2 using the Cryengine 3, and that looks fairly promising.

It's pretty safe to say you're refering to Battlecry. Don't know exactly why you didn't just say so.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Postby Hobo » Thu May 23, 2013 3:29 am

agree with delta, regs will dominate the game. also, there's a 100% chance of cb being gone. but look on the bright side (for you EA haters), all the previous companies that tried to make bf3 went out of business. so if the curse of star wars battlefront still holds true, EA will die. :D
Hobo
Community Member

Steam ID: a_hobo_

Postby CommanderOtto » Thu May 23, 2013 4:03 am

battlefront is dead... but hopefully this won't be as bad as we think. Something is better than nothing!
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby THEWULFMAN » Thu May 23, 2013 4:34 am

A Hobo wrote:agree with delta, regs will dominate the game. also, there's a 100% chance of cb being gone. but look on the bright side (for you EA haters), all the previous companies that tried to make bf3 went out of business. so if the curse of star wars battlefront still holds true, EA will die. :D

This is such a common misconception. Electronic Arts is a publisher, not a developer. They do not make games, they pay developers to make games and then they sell those games.

Basically what I'm saying is, if DICE were to make it (under EA), if the curse was true, then DICE would go down.

On the other hand... EA's stocks have been doing very poorly for five years, maybe their time will come soon.

Anyway. If EA keeps doing what they've been doing, they'll push their developer to meet an insane deadline, the game will be buggy and not that amazing besides its graphics at most.

If EA does what I'm hoping they'll start doing, is they'll start giving their developers more time.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Postby [NR]Delta » Thu May 23, 2013 4:54 am

Yes, I'm referring to battlecry. That'll be great, provided everyone can run it, since the cryengine can be so demanding.
[NR]Delta
Community Member

Postby haasd0gg » Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 am

My PS never has a problem running anything... :whistling:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Next

Return to PC Games