X-Box Gamer dies after Marathon Session

A place to comment anything about your favorite Xbox games.

X-Box Gamer dies after Marathon Session

Postby WD-40 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Remember...Gaming can 'kill ya'!

The Story:
The father of a 20-year-old “gamer” – who died after playing a marathon session on his Xbox – has launched a campaign to raise awareness about the health risks of playing video games for extended periods of time.

An autopsy revealed that 20-year-old Chris Staniforth from the U.K. was killed by a pulmonary embolism, which is a condition that occurs when one or more arteries in your lungs become blocked.

In most cases this happens when a blood clot travels to your lungs from another part of the body – most commonly the deep veins of your legs. This is called deep vein thrombosis or DVT, according to the Mayo Clinic.

This is a condition that can occur in otherwise healthy people, just like Staniforth.

Risk factors include long periods of bed rest and sitting in a cramped position for an extended period of time. That’s why people are told to get up and walk around and stretch their legs when they’re on long flights.

Professor Brian Colvin – an expert on blood-related conditions – said it’s "unhealthy" for kids to spend long periods in front of their consoles.

"There's anxiety about obesity and children not doing anything other than looking at computer screens," he told The Sun.

Colvin and other medical experts are now urging kids to take regular breaks when they spend hours in front of their video consoles.

Staniforth’s father, David, is hoping this new campaign to warn parents about the dangers of these marathon video-gaming sessions will sink-in after the death of his son.

"Games are fun, and once you've started playing it's hard to stop,” he told the newspaper. “Kids all over the country are playing these games for long periods — they don't realize it could kill them.”

Staniforth, who had no underlying medical conditions, was complaining of a low heart rate before he collapsed. His father said his son would spent up to 12 hours a day playing his Xbox.

This isn’t the first death related to “gaming.” In 2005, a South Korean died after playing online games for three days without taking a break.

Microsoft – the manufacturer of the Xbox – said it "recommend gamers take breaks to exercise as well as make time for other pursuits."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/0 ... z1ToMiXrqb
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Re: X-Box Gamer dies after Marathon Session

Postby Corpse » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:37 pm

WD-40 wrote: The Sun.

No.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby fightingclam » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That's pretty insane, WD. It's sad that the guy had to go out like that....
ImageImage
fightingclam
Community Member

Xfire: fightingclam9

Postby Girl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Wooooooooow scary stuff right 'dare! :action-smiley-043:
Make your own sandwich!
Girl
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: meg2393

Postby WD-40 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 am

fightingclam wrote:That's pretty insane, WD. It's sad that the guy had to go out like that....

I'm sure he went down 'fighting'.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby mrjamwin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:37 am

One more reason not to buy a xbox
mrjamwin
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Girl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:02 am

Yup. PS3 all the way.
Make your own sandwich!
Girl
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: meg2393

Postby (SWGO)KT » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 am

Uncle works for Microsoft... We already have nintendo things I think he'd kill me and my brother if we go a ps3... Haha.

I don't understand how people can play video games forthat long... My head starts to hurt and hour 2. And that's for watching movies too. I hate when people addicted to video games are skinny... You should be punished for your addiction! I couldn't get obeise even if I tried...
(SWGO)KT
Community Member

Postby WGO-Jango » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 am

Wow, so the failbox [poo] kills now? Way to go Microsoft!
WGO-Jango

Postby Corpse » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:21 am

I'm pretty sure I've stayed up all night playing Fallout and I haven't died. Maybe I should do that more often to see if I die.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Next

Return to Xbox Games