PSN down

A place to comment anything about your favorite Playstation games.

Re: PSN down

Postby WGO-Jango » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:34 am

The graphics for consoles will be 720p, like always, and no anti-aliasing. The point of buying it for a console is that I don't have to worry about or buy upgrades for my PC to run it. I think nearly everyone over at WGO is upgrading something for BF3.

EDIT: Sony says the network might be down for another week, so now would be a good time to dust off those old board games and prep mentally for face to face contact. God help us all.
WGO-Jango

Postby White_Tiger_Zord » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Well this effing Sucks I had to cancel my credit card because there saying the guys that hacked PSN are stealing card information out of PSN ids :evil:
ImageImage
=(SWGO)=SG-1_F-302
White_Tiger_Zord
Community Member

Xfire: whitetigerzord
Steam ID: SG-1_F-302

Postby Corpse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Maybe our governments can all cut our deficits by suing Sony for all they've got. :lol:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby (Rogue).ltc.dan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 pm

White_Tiger_Zord wrote:Well this effing Sucks I had to cancel my credit card because there saying the guys that hacked PSN are stealing card information out of PSN ids :evil:

PREYS THE LORD I DON'T HAVE A PS NOR A CREDIT CARD :lol: cause if i did have credit card then i would have to cancel it ♪ sings of joy ♪ :clap:
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/rogueltc/[/url]
(Rogue).ltc.dan
Community Member

Xfire: rogue2345
Steam ID: ltc.dan

Postby [m'kay] » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 pm

(Rogue).ltc.dan.(SWGO) wrote:
White_Tiger_Zord wrote:Well this effing Sucks I had to cancel my credit card because there saying the guys that hacked PSN are stealing card information out of PSN ids :evil:

PREYS THE LORD I DON'T HAVE A PS NOR A CREDIT CARD :lol: cause if i did have credit card then i would have to cancel it ♪ sings of joy ♪ :clap:

Pfft. If your parents gave you a credit card, I wouldn't even pity them. They'd [m'kay] deserve it.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby White_Tiger_Zord » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Nargotah wrote:
(Rogue).ltc.dan.(SWGO) wrote:

Pfft. If your parents gave you a credit card, I wouldn't even pity them. They'd [m'kay] deserve it.

ummm im 24 y/o i have my own credit card :twisted:
ImageImage
=(SWGO)=SG-1_F-302
White_Tiger_Zord
Community Member

Postby WGO-Jango » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Supposedly Sony is or has sent out email to registered users who's information may have been taken. Sony has suggested that if the password you use to access the PSN is used for other sites or services to change them. They also recommend changing your password once the network is back online. I believe the blog contains a link for a free credit reporting service provided by Sony but, I'm not entirely sure.
WGO-Jango

Postby White_Tiger_Zord » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:37 am

hmmm i didnt get any Email from sony about card info

but still just in case i canceled my card in 3 days ill get a new one better safe then sorry and the teller did tell me that i wasent the only doing it.
ImageImage
=(SWGO)=SG-1_F-302
White_Tiger_Zord
Community Member

Postby haasd0gg » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Good news?...
http://www.gamekudos.com/news/4019-psn- ... -continues

PSN coming back online but fallout continues.

Posted Sat 30th Apr 2011 5:07pm by Ming Fung

Tentative date for PSN return on the 3rd May, Press have a field day and Sony’s woes continue.
To say it’s not a good time for Sony and PSN users is an understatement. The 3DS launch spawned a number of sensationalised stories in main stream media; PSNs recent security breach has only given the UK press more bullets to fire at the video games industry.

The Telegraph, Daily Mail, the Sun, Metro, Sky and the BBC have all covered the story extensively, with headlines such ‘Panic Stations’ and ’77 million PlayStation accounts hacked’ hitting it home. Most people who follow the industry would agree that main stream media should pay more attention to the video games medium, but this is not what it needs! Sony’s own handling of the situation has been called into question, why did it take them six days to inform PSN users? How are they going to resolve the situation?

Sony communicated this in a statement

"There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised,"

"We learned there was an intrusion 19th April and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident.”

"It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly yesterday evening."

The severity of the problem is such that US Democrat Senator Richard Blumenthal has written directly to SCEA’s Jack Tretton on the subject, part of the letter read.

“Although the breach occurred nearly a week ago, Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised. Nor has Sony specified how it intends to protect these consumers.”

So what happens if you’re a PSN user at risk, well Visa has advised individuals to be vigilant

A Visa statement read

“Concerned cardholders should keep a close eye on their accounts and report any unusual or unexpected activity to their issuing bank,"

However Graham Cluely of analysts Sophos recommended a far more proactive (and sensible) approach

"If you're a user of Sony's PlayStation Network, now isn't the time to sit back on your sofa and do nothing.”

"The fraudsters won't wait around – for them this is a treasure trove ripe for exploiting. You need to act now to minimise the chances that your identity and bank account become casualties following this hack.”

"That means, changing your online passwords (especially if you use the same password on other sites), and considering whether it would be prudent to inform your bank that as far as you're concerned your credit card is now compromised."

What action is Sony taking? Well some PSN services are tentatively coming back on line on the 3rd May and they have committed to taking action against those responsible. The question is whether they can catch the culprits and the level of punishment dished out if they can. Judging by the recent PS3 hack legal action, we can expect them to act aggressively.

SCEE's head of communications had this to say

"We are as upset as you are regarding this attack and are going to proceed aggressively to track down those that are responsible,"

Bringing the service back online is one thing but managing the fallout from this is another. The first lawsuit against Sony has been filed, and in the UK the ICO (Information Commissioners Office) may well investigate Sony over user information protection which could result in a £500K fine. To make matters worse unconfirmed reports this morning suggest that 2.2m PSN account details were put up for sale by the hackers.

Certainly no Microsoft fan boy should use this as a stick to beat Sony with. Yes its negative press for Sony’s service, but when it’s all said and done the PSN security breach is an attack on the gamers whose details were stolen. There is no moral high ground, and the reason for it happening is likely to be financial in nature.

Putting this into perspective the security breach is damaging not only to Sony’s reputation but the video games industry. The question is, how will the industry not JUST Sony use this in a positive fashion and what lessons will we learn as we dive deeper into digital services.

UPDATE

Sony's deputy president Kaz Hirai will host a media briefing on Sunday 1st May to address the issues on the PSN security breach.
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby [m'kay] » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:07 pm

White_Tiger_Zord wrote:

ummm im 24 y/o i have my own credit card :twisted:

Was talking about the 11 year old :P
[m'kay]
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation Games