Government involvement in Healthcare, what scares me....

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Government involvement in Healthcare, what scares me....

Postby Flyswamper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 pm

This is a perfect example of what scares me whenever I see government getting more involved in healthcare...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/06/07/edmonton-oncololgist-shortage-cross-cancer-chemotherapy.html

I do think that there are patients that probably shouldn't get treated when the situation is hopeless. However, what scares the beejebus out of me is who is making that choice/decision....
Last edited by Flyswamper on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics stink!
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Re: Government involvement in Healtcare, what scares me....

Postby mrjamwin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:54 am

Hey Matt-Chicago, I dare you to say you support this. Go ahead I double dare you!!! :whistling: :lol:
mrjamwin
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Draigun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:51 am

The government in the U.S. is corrupted by power-hungry arrogant totalitarian-like "leaders".
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Postby Duel of Fates » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 am

Draigun wrote:The government in the U.S. is corrupted by power-hungry arrogant totalitarian-like "leaders".

Oh good, thought you were going to say the evil capitalists or bankers. Government healthcare is nothing more than a power grab by the so called elected representatives and a major drain on the economy.

Fly, I wonder though, when we asked you about Canadian Healthcare early on, you had no complaints about the system. (And I believe you answered honestly as far as you knew.) Now there are these news reports after the US has jammed this behemoth of a bill down the throats of the American citizens? Does anyone else find that timing to be a little hinky?
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby WD-40 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:40 am

I haven't had a chance yet to look at it yet, but I can guess what it says. It's been the experience throughout US history, that when the Federal Government runs 'anything' or tries to 'fix' it, it is totally screwed up. Political appointments, and picking the lowest bidders for positions and contracts, typically means sloppy performance and a bad result. It's sad.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Flyswamper » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Duel of Fates wrote: Fly, I wonder though, when we asked you about Canadian Healthcare early on, you had no complaints about the system. (And I believe you answered honestly as far as you knew.) Now there are these news reports after the US has jammed this behemoth of a bill down the throats of the American citizens? Does anyone else find that timing to be a little hinky?[/color]

Actually, your memory needs a little refreshing. Every time that I've ever addressed this subject I always point out that I am very concerned about how healthcare is "rationed" here in Canada. Of course, it is "rationed" in the US system too.... In the US it is rationed based on whether you have money and/or insurance (i.e. ability to pay). In Canada, it is rationed based on limited services and how severe and curable your situation is.

I have been in Canada for about 7 or 8 years now and I still do not have a family doctor that will take me as a continuing patient. I had one briefly and then he "quit" all his patients and started up a walk-in clinic practice where they look after immediate needs but do not provide long-term care/relationship. I believe I have mentioned my neighbor (and older lady) that needed cataract surgery and was on the waiting list for nearly 2 years before she went "around the system" and got it done by paying out of their own pocket. Her situation was that she was on a waiting list that always had her scheduled for the surgery maybe a few months away.... But new patients with more severe conditions kept bumping her continually down the waiting list.

My co-worker who had torn cartilege in his knee. The doctor here (walk-in clinic I believe) told him something like take aspirin...you are old. He went to the US on a business trip for a week, saw the doctor on monday, surgery on wednesday, on a plane back to Canada on Saturday. Now, there are bad doctors in the US too... and that isn't the point of this story. The point is that even *IF* the doctor had suspected something more serious, he would have waited many many months before it was taken care of here. But he was fortunate enough to have US coverage too and got it down within a few days time.

Other co-worker walked around with torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) for over a year waiting for surgery to be scheduled. He didn't have torn cartilege that was giving him trouble so he just had a "weakened" knee joint that prevented him from physical activivity but still allowed him to walk...so his surgery wasn't urgent.... hence over a year wait time for the surgery.

Yet another co-worker that has his own consulting firm had knee issue (torn ACL again). He explained to me that he could wait ~ 12 months and do it normally through the system, or he could claim it was an occupational injury (or something like that) and use the fact that he was a business owner/self-employed and somehow hop in front of the line by paying for it out of his business expenses. I never pursued the exact details, not sure how "shady" it was or not..... but it was another example of the wonderful system at work here...

Now.... there are good aspects. Nearly everybody can get in to see a walk-in clinic if you have any sort of immediate need and the cost is covered by government run healtcare/insurance. So....if you only have mild things and are relatively healthy, it isn't a bad place to be. But.... if I ever get cancer or something major...I'll be on the first flight down to the US to get myself taken care of (I have insurance in both places).

Note that each of these stories are not just hearsay..... I personally know the name and situation of each person I've mentioned....
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Flyswamper » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:24 pm

What this news story illustrates to me is that even though Sarah Palin may have got her "death panels" story a little bit off of reality..... In essence, the "gist" of what she was getting at is already in-place and operating here in Canada's public healthcare system.
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Duel of Fates » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks Fly, my memory needs more than a little refreshing sometimes. :whistling: I stand corrected. And I agree with you on most of your concerns regarding healthcare both Canadian and American. I am not so concerned with my current health. I am concerned with how this will play out for my wife, daughter, and son.
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby Dad » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:27 pm

politicians

:989:
i weep for the future

later
Dad
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: dadkills

Postby samonuh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 am

Draigun wrote:The government in the U.S. is corrupted by power-hungry arrogant totalitarian-like "leaders".

You're SOOO original -.-

Get over life, it only lasts about 80 years...
SAMONUH
samonuh
Community Member

Next

Return to Non-Game Discussions