Of wikileaks and literacy

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: Of wikileaks and literacy

Postby Matt-Chicago » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 pm

The straw man of my personal information isn't really relevant, seeking a more open government in order to have a more informed citizenry and better functioning democracy with real participation is a bit different than the personal information of one person. A better example might be privileged admin information that I asked not be shared...

Dread - having knowledge of the secret and illegal program of kidnapping, torture, and rendition run by the CIA might have made a difference and given the people a chance to object or make an informed judgment about the matter. Doesn't the government still deny the program exists, despite all the information about it? The system is working, LMFAO!

Also - wikileaks has put out less than 1/2 of 1% of the state department cables so far. They have only released documents which have been reviewed by media organizations (they wanted review by the US government by gov refused) and redacted the documents per the orgs recommendations.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby ProfessorDreadNaught » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Dread - having knowledge of the secret and illegal program of kidnapping, torture, and rendition run by the CIA might have made a difference and given the people a chance to object or make an informed judgment about the er. Doesn't the government still deny the program exists, despite all the information about it? The system is working, LMFAO!

1. "having knowledge of the secret..." makes it not a secret.
2. "illegal program" it is a program run by executive authority with congressional oversight. What part is illegal? DUH, that is why the do it this way. You can't use harsh interrogation techniques in the U.S. That is why we take them somewhere else.
3. "might have made a difference and given the people a chance to object" I'm certain the detained DO object. Many people such as yourself have also objected. You are an idiot to think that the American people don't want renditions to go on. They do. They just want it kept secret. You want to make it NOT secret cause you think everyone else is wrong.
4. "Doesn't the government still deny the program exists, despite all the information about it?" What do they gain by acknowledging its existence? You must know that it is their policy not to comment on operations...ever.
5. The system is working. You just don't like what is being done. You think you are right and that everyone else is wrong. The people at the top are power hoarders and corrupt. The masses are too stupid to understand what is happening around them and to them. Ya' know, Marxism/Leninism sounds the same in the new millennium too.
“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.”
“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.”
"Freedom (n.): To ask nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing."
ProfessorDreadNaught
Community Member

Postby mrjamwin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:51 pm

That's the response I expected from you Matt. My point being is that you may have personal information that you might just want to hide to prevent others from using it against you for good or for harm. But it's not ok for any government to withhold information which may be used against them for good or harm or for the well being of the masses. Not all things are to the benefit of the people and even if the information was readily available for the people to decide whether or not something is good or bad. Do you really think the majority of people would want to decide? What decisions are you going to make based on the information that has been provided to you because of these leaks now? What power do you really think you have to make any decisions/changes?
mrjamwin
SWBF2 Admin

Postby WD-40 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 am

ProfessorDreadNaught wrote: You are an idiot to think that the American people don't want renditions to go on. They do. They just want it kept secret. You want to make it NOT secret cause you think everyone else is wrong.
First off, knowing how very intelligent Matt is, Matt is not an idiot...none of you are. Everyone has their own opinion about things. There are some pretty good arguments going on here, but as a former military dude and now a dude with regular access to 'that kinda' information, I must say that government secrets are 'secrets' for a good reason. Not to 'screw' the citizens of the U.S. by keeping it hidden, but to protect National Interests as well as the actual Citizens themselves of the U.S.. Yes, people do die and our ability to defend ourselves is compromised if 'certain' secrets get out.

Regarding 'Lieracy'...It is simply literacy. If you don't have it, you either, 1) Can't afford it, 2) Don't have access to it (due to unfortunate surroundings or circumstances) or 3) Don't want it.

This is obviously a hot button topic. I do not agree with what wikileaks has done, but I cannot say our government has a complaint considering they put it in a format that was accessible....STUPID. Especially, since they did not properly safe guard classified info. We've been hording secrets since the Revolutionary War folks, both Military and Political...and for good reason. Not everyone in the public can be trusted with a secret (Especially the #@!&*% Journalists)...that's obvious..but we, like most Nations, don't want our information (Remember 'Information is Power') aired out to the world. All Nations need leverage of some sort against another, and political,business and military tactics are a continual battle, even in peacetime.
Last edited by WD-40 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Matt-Chicago » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I just thought this article would lend a different vantage point to think about the release in terms of literacy.

The reason I agree with use of the term is because access to this literature is actively denied. Using the term ignorance still fits, but to me ignorance is more passive. I'm ignorant of 17th century art, but not because I'm denied that information.

I wouldn't mind having a wider discussion about the leaks themselves, if anyone wants to start a new topic.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby Duel of Fates » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:32 pm

My head hurts. I really wish people would say what they mean, and mean what they say. :wheelchair:
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby mrjamwin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Liberals aren't capable of doing that. :whistling:
mrjamwin
SWBF2 Admin

Previous

Return to Non-Game Discussions