The God Damned Gun Control Thread

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: The God Damned Gun Control Thread

Postby Son » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:22 pm

CommanderOtto wrote:I think the only thing obama can do for now, that will not cause major protests around the States is....

to add a mental health test as a requirement to owning a weapon (everyone in the same household included). That way situations where the mother is ok but the kid is a maniac... these people won't get access to dangerous things like this.

this way no one will complain about gun control I guess. No guns were banned. Everyone is still allowed to own bazuka sized weapons... but you take it away from imbeciles with mental health issues (no matter how small they are). I mean, no one can get angry about that right? It's a reasonable precaution.

What about the imbeciles who break in and steal the guns of the person who is legally allowed to own a firearm? (if they break in when no one is home)
Welcome to SWGO....Enjoy your ban

Despite what your mamma has told you...
Violence does solve some problems.
Son
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: caeduslives
Steam ID: jwfrens80

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

well that could happen... but most guns are acquired in stores. There are gun deaths even in Australia, where guns are practically banned. There is always someone that finds a way.... but the mental health law could help overall. As I said, it's a reasonable precaution that will not interfere with people's right to own the weapons they want.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Darth Crater » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Col. Homestar wrote:-good post snipped for space-

Agreed on assault weapons. I wouldn't say a gun ban is "never" going to happen, but it'll take at least 50 years and a lot of education if it does. A better question would be - what can be done to make violence unnecessary? I favor eliminating poverty and promoting mental health.

WD-40 wrote:I believe the point was not that ONLY bad Governments want to take away your guns, but that by people 'owning' guns and having the right to bear them helps keep good governments FROM going bad...To keep them in-check. A Government SHOULD fear the People, because they represent the Peoples interest due being elected by The People. If the majority of the 'legitimate' People want to change Laws, well, bring it. We dont change them because some Congressional leaders or the Prez grabs an 'opportunity' of impassioned anger to push personal or Party Agendas. thats just stupid and irresponsible! And that's exactly what we're seeing today.

Okay, that is an interesting argument - "widespread gun ownership prevents governments from going bad." To which I ask, how do you explain the Middle East? They've had rebellions, sure, but those don't occur everywhere and often make the government worse.
WD-40 wrote:Regarding the North Pole, our biggest threats are who? Hmmmm...China, Russia, North Korea and Iran come to mind. They are located where?....Hmmmmm....the other side of the Planet the last I checked. If they were to launch anything from 'land' for an airborne assault (ballistic missiles included), from which direction would you figure would afford them the shortest direction for fuel burn and surprise? Think about that.

As a Jet Pilot, I recently HAD to fly a mission 'requiring no fuel stop' from Denmark to Los Angeles because of what we were carrying. Look at a globe, and tell me the route 'you' would take limiting yourself to 5,000 nautical miles of fuel without stopping to refuel en route.

(Hint: I had to fly way north of Iceland en route and got a great view of the 'Northern Lights'. Yes, modern technology allows us to fly directly over the North Pole if we 'had' to, and No, I did not have to fly directly over the Pole.)

So you college aged book worm worms who have no military or aviation experience 'presuming' you know everything because you read it in a book or on line can just consider that academia is no substitute for 'actual experience'. Keep in mind, that I agree it would not be in Chinas or Russia's interest to attack us in any way short of Nuclear Threat toward them. Remember, I was using Hypotheticals for the gun point regarding the Fore Fathers to spar with Crater. :gunsmilie: But North Korea and Iran are just whacky enough to lob missiles at anyone.

Oh, I know polar routes are used for travel. They just aren't helpful for an actual invasion. You can't invade by air when your opposition has the best-funded air force and is operating from their home territory. You can't get ships across the Arctic easily, and if they do land in Canada you have to cross hundreds of miles of frozen terrain before you get to anything remotely resembling a strategic target. Missiles are not an invasion and can't be stopped by assault rifles anyway.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby WD-40 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Oh good gawd!
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby THEWULFMAN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 pm

While invading through an artic route is actually feasible and something we constantly considered the soviets might do during the Cold War, invading through S. America and Mexico would be a lot easier.

The overall point is to circumnavigate our essentially unstoppable navy.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby Matt-Chicago » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25 pm

mrjamwin wrote:
haasd0gg wrote:There is absolutely no reason to take away a persons right to defend his home and family. Do any of you folks arguing for gun control realize that laws only apply to law abiding citizens? The criminals do now and still would have firearms. Disarming the rest just turns us all into targets.
Making comparisons of U.S. firearm laws to European nations is like saying "the golf ball fits in the cup, the basketball would fit".

Haas, you're bringing logic and facts to this discussion which liberal people who can't understand facts or logic continue to agrue the subject by using only their emotions and saying "that's not fair" You should know better by now! :whistling: Crater will still continue with his emotional [female dog] and bring little or nothing to this discussion. :lol:

I finally found a picture of Mr. Jamwin!
mr jamwin.jpg
Mr. Jamwin
mr jamwin.jpg (121.45 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 pm

LOL
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby [m'kay] » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Dohohohohohoho.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 pm

hahahaha nice :appl:
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Darth Crater » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:43 pm

THEWULFMAN wrote:While invading through an artic route is actually feasible and something we constantly considered the soviets might do during the Cold War, invading through S. America and Mexico would be a lot easier.

The overall point is to circumnavigate our essentially unstoppable navy.

Oh, look, an actual argument for arctic invasion not based purely on ad hominem attacks!

I guess it does make more sense than directly attacking our coasts, but that's rather faint praise. Going through Canada would ironically be like invading Russia - look at how well that worked for Napoleon and Hitler. And their supply lines didn't have to cross an ocean.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Game Discussions