The God Damned Gun Control Thread

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

The God Damned Gun Control Thread

Postby [m'kay] » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:48 pm

And now there can be one thread entirely devoted to this. Instead of just having a bunch of different discussions about single instances that inevitably end with "someone should make a topic, maaaaan". Go nuts. Sorry for stealing your thunder MD, but damn we need some centralization up in this [female dog].
[m'kay]
MVP

Re: The God Damned Gun Control Thread

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah, this forum is like herding cats. I had a trap baited though and you kinda messed it up.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

einstein-movies.jpg
einstein-movies.jpg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Postby WD-40 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:22 pm

First Obamacare, now the Guns...what's next?
image.jpg
image.jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby [m'kay] » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 pm

MATTHEW'S_DAD wrote:Yeah, this forum is like herding cats. I had a trap baited though and you kinda messed it up.

A master baiter wouldn't have any issues with a tiny problem like this, MD. You must train much longer and harder before you can measure up to me.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 pm

[m'kay] wrote:longer and harder
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Matt-Chicago » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:15 pm

I support common sense gun control.
Limit the number of guns someone can buy at one time or in a month - this would cut down on the tens of thousands of guns sold to criminals every year.
Background checks with no loopholes

That's about it - I don't think limiting the type of gun, clip, etc would do much.
I support efforts to dry up the supply of guns for criminals and make illegal guns harder to come by and therefore more expensive.
There are ways to do that without taking away anyone's guns.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby Darth Crater » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:01 pm

MATTHEW'S_DAD wrote:-snip picture-

False analogy. The neurological processes behind brand recognition and aggression are significantly different.

WD-40 wrote:First Obamacare, now the Guns...what's next?
-snip picture-

Slippery slope fallacy. Also, the Constitution is ambiguous on that point and designed to be amended.

matt's plan seems pretty sensible to me.

Also, Wulf, you never got the chance to reply to me in the other thread - anything you were interested in saying?
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby WD-40 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Darth Crater wrote:
WD-40 wrote:First Obamacare, now the Guns...what's next?
-snip picture-

Slippery slope fallacy. Also, the Constitution is ambiguous on that point and designed to be amended.

I don't believe for 1 second that the Fore Fathers designed the 2nd Amendment around 'The Right to Bear Arms' just for the sake of people 'having' them so they can shoot bullets in the air anytime they wanted. No, I truly believe that they understood the importance and urgency that the 'Militia' played in protecting the Colonies (or New U.S. States) from being utterly over run and destroyed by the British Invaders.

That being said, I understand that the 1700's (and even the early 1800's) was very much a 'Musket' world when the Constitution was framed in 1791. I also realize that we do not live in a 'Musket' world anymore...far from it. And THAT is the basis for people wanting to Amend the 2nd Amendment or get rid of it entirely. A bad move, because that doesn't change the fact that the entire planet has evolved into 'modern weaponry'.

Given that fact, the 'Red Dawn' movie isn't too much of a stretch considering the military capabilities of numerous nations...especially if several gang up all at once on..say...the United States. It also isn't too much of a stretch to assume that our Nation's Defenses could be crippled. If there is no established Military to defend our Land, then what is left to stop the invaders?

Enter the 2nd Amendment! Established 'secret' Militias, and hastily organized ones (like on Red Dawn) using Automatic Weapons, with big assed clips, claymore mines, rocket launchers, whatever...are all that is left. That's what the 2nd Amendment is about! Protecting our Sovereign Land from Foreign Invaders. That situation would be scarily similar to what the Colonists faced at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. No established Army to defend the Land. The Fore Fathers did not want to repeat that crisis.

What Matt C. said is spot on. We have existing Laws in place that simply are not enforced properly. A few minor adjustments seems doable. But it's the Mentally Retarded or disturbed that are ruining the Heart of what the 2nd Amendment was meant for. And a President and Congress that cannot see that, nor have they thought this thru based on history. How do you know where you're going, if you don't know...or think about... where you've been?
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Darth Crater » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm

I said this in the last thread, but I'll repeat it - Jefferson's vision is dead, and so is the militia. Civilians armed with civilian weaponry cannot meaningfully stop a modern military. Civilians armed with military weaponry can't stop one either, because civilians can't afford military weaponry. In the event that several nations enter into a suicide pact by trying to invade us (because it will shatter the world economy), somehow get an invasion force across the ocean while facing a military stronger than the next 14 nations combined (plus several of those nations, as our allies), and take over? Your guns will do nothing.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Next

Return to Non-Game Discussions