The God Damned Gun Control Thread

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: The God Damned Gun Control Thread

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:17 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/1928105/

People with less access to guns are less likely to commit suicide. This is primarily because suicidal impulses are temporary and guns are an extremely quick and efficient method. This ties into what I've said before about gun ownership increasing risk of death. This is not necessarily a reason to ban guns - but it is a reason to think hard before buying or owning one.

Oh, and Homestar's suggestion sounds good to me.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:01 am

WD-40 wrote:I totally believe that every American citizen child should be properly educated and afforded the opportunity to do so. The problem is money, getting good teachers, paying them properly, and weeding out the crappy teachers. Then you also need students to all have the desire to learn. Unfortunately, all of the above does not happen as we would like it to.

Of course! :) Our problem then is figuring out a way to adequately and fairly implement education without putting too much strain on the taxpayer.

EDIT:

EDIT AGAIN:

From UNESCO:
Education is a fundamental human right and essential for the exercise of all other human rights. It promotes individual freedom and empowerment and yields important development benefits. Yet millions of children and adults remain deprived of educational opportunities, many as a result of poverty.

Normative instruments of the United Nations and UNESCO lay down international legal obligations for the right to education. These instruments promote and develop the right of every person to enjoy access to education of good quality, without discrimination or exclusion. These instruments bear witness to the great importance that Member States and the international community attach to normative action for realizing the right to education. It is for governments to fulfil their obligations both legal and political in regard to providing education for all of good quality and to implement and monitor more effectively education strategies.

Education is a powerful tool by which economically and socially marginalized adults and children can lift themselves out of poverty and participate fully as citizens. ~ http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/ ... education/
Love and Pepsi are the two most important things in life.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Xfire: sirpepsi

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:08 am

Hstar, where exactly did I propose government funded mental care? That's the last organization I would allow into that field.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby WD-40 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 am

Nice quote Pepsi. Well written. But more would be needed. I figure that the 'more educated' citizens are (kids and adults), the more responsible society can be. Instead of violence, we'd have understanding, more equality and consensus. Sounds like the world of Star Trek, where all are employed, all are properly educated, all exist under a common Law, and money is never used. 'Our' world needs a serious enema.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Col. Hstar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:26 am

MATTHEW'S_DAD wrote:Hstar, where exactly did I propose government funded mental care? That's the last organization I would allow into that field.

I didn't say you proposed it. You claimed that gun violence is not the fault of guns but the violent people who use them. Those violent people are mentally unstable. That the solution was to focus on the people instead of guns.

So if the solution is helping those who are mentally unstable, where does the funding for that help come from? Unless you tax the gun owners (which was my proposal) it would be left to the government to fund and administer said medical help. If you leave your solution open ended the government would have to fill in the gaps
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:55 am

Col. Homestar wrote:
MATTHEW'S_DAD wrote:Hstar, where exactly did I propose government funded mental care? That's the last organization I would allow into that field.

I didn't say you proposed it. You claimed that gun violence is not the fault of guns but the violent people who use them. Those violent people are mentally unstable. That the solution was to focus on the people instead of guns.

So if the solution is helping those who are mentally unstable, where does the funding for that help come from? Unless you tax the gun owners (which was my proposal) it would be left to the government to fund and administer said medical help. If you leave your solution open ended the government would have to fill in the gaps

IDK...maybe we should just shoot the mentally unstable and save an assload of money in the obviously already failed attempt at 'helping' them. If they are [m'kay] mentally, and cannot possibly contribute positively to a normal society...why the hell are we even debating this?!?
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Darth Crater » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:58 am

I thought you were violently opposed to the existence of tyrannical governments?
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby WD-40 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:11 am

Darth Crater wrote:I thought you were violently opposed to the existence of tyrannical governments?

:lol: it's the 'Ying' to their 'Yang' argument. And it's far cheaper.

Besides, Obama will just blame Republicans for it anyway.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Col. Hstar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:54 am

Well if we're looking for the cheapest route we might as well leave everything the way it is.

Save money on ammo :whistling:
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Col. Homestar wrote:

I didn't say you proposed it.

Here...

Col. Homestar wrote:You blame governmental handouts as on of the reason for gun violence and say they should stop, but then on the other hand you say the government should step in and help cure the mentally unstable.

No big deal. Back to the point of the thread though...
Col. Homestar wrote: You offer a problem without a solution.

Well, I went back to find my post and now I can't find it, so here's the short version. No more frivolous laws. No more chipping away at the Constitution. If you want any more gun laws then repeal the 2nd amendment and then create all the laws you want to. Have your elected officials say it out loud to the press, "REPEAL THE 2nd AMENDMENT". I think it would be great if they would just come out and say it. Let's stop playing games and put our cards on the table so everyone can see them.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Game Discussions