A cool side-project

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

A cool side-project

Postby [NH]Shadow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Sup,
Thought I'd show y'all a little bit about what I do for fun...
I build chain maille armor, and other chain maille objects. (And my apologies, the purpose of this topic is not to try to sell my crap, it's for educational purposes only)
This is my current project: a chain maille bullwhip. It's currently just under 3 feet long, and I just started it (and learned the weave [pattern] yesterday)
Sorry for the relatively low quality of the image.... :-|
I'm building it in three parts: the body, the end of the whip, and the handle. The whip will not be crack-able, since, to cause the whip to crack, the end must have a cracker (sorry, that's a technical term, not trying to sound racist :lol: ), and the whip (and the cracker) must travel past the speed of sound. The rings in the whip, which are 3/8 inch 14 gauge aluminum, cannot handle the stress of rapid acceleration/deceleration, and would fly apart rather quickly. This is a close-up of the rings:
"+1" if you think it's cool.
'You've taken your first step into a larger world'
http://galactic-voyage.com
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Re: A cool side-project

Postby haasd0gg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Image failure
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby [NH]Shadow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:37 am

haasd0gg wrote:Image failure

Lol, sorry. Those images are already outdated. I've added about 3 feet since then:
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby [NH]Mr.Yankovic » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm

[NH]Shadow wrote:Sup,
Thought I'd show y'all a little bit about what I do for fun...
I build chain maille armor, and other chain maille objects. (And my apologies, the purpose of this topic is not to try to sell my crap, it's for educational purposes only)
This is my current project: a chain maille bullwhip. It's currently just under 3 feet long, and I just started it (and learned the weave [pattern] yesterday)
Sorry for the relatively low quality of the image.... :-|
I'm building it in three parts: the body, the end of the whip, and the handle. The whip will not be crack-able, since, to cause the whip to crack, the end must have a cracker (sorry, that's a technical term, not trying to sound racist :lol: ), and the whip (and the cracker) must travel past the speed of sound. The rings in the whip, which are 3/8 inch 14 gauge aluminum, cannot handle the stress of rapid acceleration/deceleration, and would fly apart rather quickly. This is a close-up of the rings:
"+1" if you think it's cool.

Shadow, You wants some leather strips to make crackers?
Don't Take No Passengers-Rico Rodriguez [NH]Mr.Yankovic Morbid Angel
[NH]Mr.Yankovic
Community Member

Location: Hiding Behind Your Car Peeling Your Licence Plate Sticker Off.
Xfire: mryankovic

Postby [NH]Shadow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm not maing a cracker for it. The rings won't be able to handle the acceleration/deceleration of cracking.
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:19 pm

wow...

do you know how to smith swords too? I think that if you could add images of that, that would be awesome :gunsmilie: I love the format of Rapiers because they are so thin and elegant. If i'm correct, they were invented by the spanish as Espada de Ropa and then it became popular throughout europe.

that reminds me so much of the original series El Zorro. Very old program that is very popular in south america.

CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby [NH]Shadow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:08 pm

CommanderOtto wrote:wow...

do you know how to smith swords too? I think that if you could add images of that, that would be awesome :gunsmilie: I love the format of Rapiers because they are so thin and elegant. If i'm correct, they were invented by the spanish as Espada de Ropa and then it became popular throughout europe.

that reminds me so much of the original series El Zorro. Very old program that is very popular in south america.

I don't know how to smith swords yet, but that is something that I'm interested in learning...one of the chain maille shirts that I made had a brass cross on the front, it's pretty cool...I'll post pics of it later.
300th post
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby mrjamwin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Can you make a chain mail g-string for me? It's going to be a Christmas gift for Haas. Don't tell him ok! :whistling: :lol:
mrjamwin
SWBF2 Admin

Postby [NH]Shadow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 pm

mrjamwin wrote:Can you make a chain mail g-string for me? It's going to be a Christmas gift for Haas. Don't tell him ok! :whistling: :lol:

:lol:
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby haasd0gg » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 pm

I got a drawer full already :th_a017:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Next