Evolution & Creationism Debate at Museum

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: Evolution & Creationism Debate at Museum

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:54 am

Col. Homestar wrote:

My hypocrisy??? :lol: :lol:

I am defending the bible, yet I'm not supposed to defend it by citing scriptures in it??

When you post your copy/pasted arguments which twist meanings and out and out omit context, of course I'm going to cite scriptures.

Would you rather I find a youtube video with some random Joe saying why you should believe in the bible.

I can't believe I'm about to say this but I miss responding to Mandlore, at least he took the time to explain his arguments from his own perspective. :whistling:

Man just a couple of post back I said I respected your beliefs, I guess now I have to edit that as I've lost respect for you. :roll:

Homestar, they are not "random people." They are well-established scientists. I for one appreciate people who source information and post links. You are free to debunk them, but as I'm not an evolutionary biologist, I feel it is important for me to illustrate my points using links and outside sources, as me saying evolution is true is relatively meaningless. I'm not a Nobel Prize winning discoverer, nor am I the foremost expert on Biblical History. That's why I take input from other people.

It was silly of me to label your citation of scripture hypocrisy (I'm sorry), but it is childish of you to attack me for getting information from learned individuals simply because you can't debunk the evidence they provide.

By the way, Otto specifically asked for sources.
Love and Pepsi are the two most important things in life.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Xfire: sirpepsi

Postby Col. Hstar » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:18 am

(SWGO)SirPepsi wrote:It was silly of me to label your citation of scripture hypocrisy (I'm sorry), but it is childish of you to attack me for getting information from learned individuals simply because you can't debunk the evidence they provide.

The attack was from you saying defending scriptures with scriptures was hypocritical. Thank-you for apologizing.

I'm not attacking you for using information from other sources. I would much rather you use your own words in responding instead of saying "here read this link because it shows why you're wrong". You Imply that I'm resorting to childish antic because I can't "debunk" what you posted, but you can't even explain in your own words what you posted... Also, I am the one who took the time to respond to your post with all the scriptures you felt were contradictory. I didn't leave any of them out, if you don't accept the answers given that's your choice, but claiming that I'm frustrated for inability to cope with your arguments is your fantasy

None of us are Biblical Scholars, I'm not and I wouldn't expect you to be one either.
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:02 am

Col. Homestar wrote:
(SWGO)SirPepsi wrote:It was silly of me to label your citation of scripture hypocrisy (I'm sorry), but it is childish of you to attack me for getting information from learned individuals simply because you can't debunk the evidence they provide.

The attack was from you saying defending scriptures with scriptures was hypocritical. Thank-you for apologizing.

I'm not attacking you for using information from other sources. I would much rather you use your own words in responding instead of saying "here read this link because it shows why you're wrong". You Imply that I'm resorting to childish antic because I can't "debunk" what you posted, but you can't even explain in your own words what you posted... Also, I am the one who took the time to respond to your post with all the scriptures you felt were contradictory. I didn't leave any of them out, if you don't accept the answers given that's your choice, but claiming that I'm frustrated for inability to cope with your arguments is your fantasy

None of us are Biblical Scholars, I'm not and I wouldn't expect you to be one either.

That's rather presumptuous of you, don't you think? I most certainly understand everything I post. And I can most certainly summarize all of it, but when there exists such a large amount of information to share, what pleasure do you derive from expecting me to rephrase all of it and post it here so that you can read it? Why should I analyze each and every one of the Professor's points and convey them here for your convenience when there is no logical reason to do so?

If that's what you demand - fine, but admit that you are only perturbed because you can't counter the scientists' positions with fact.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Postby Col. Hstar » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:07 am

(SWGO)SirPepsi wrote:If that's what you demand - fine, but admit that you are only perturbed because you can't counter the scientists' positions with fact.

:lol: So its grade school taunts now. :lol:

It seems to be a recurring argument everyone has with you Pepsi. Of course people want you to phrase things in your own words. That's why teachers in school always make you show your work. They want to know that you know what your talking about. It shows effort and interest on your part.

You keep beating the mantra that the bible cannot debunk or counter your positions with facts, yet this is all from your limited perspective. Pepsi you can go on pretending that nothing said here has countered your arguments and that's fine with me. I'll leave you with this scripture

Matthew 10:11-14
11 “Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave. 12 When you enter the house, greet the household. 13 If the house is deserving, let the peace you wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from you return upon you. 14 Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet.

I'll take my leave from this thread now. If I do re-enter, I'll just be posting corrections of mis-represented scriptures.
I need a coke
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:57 am

How very pretentious of you! I do have a limited perspective, but I recognize it and am continually learning. You would like my opinion? I love Christ and Christ's message, but I hate how Christianity [the institutions] have perverted and politicized it over the past several centuries. I believe the Bible to contain several evil stories, and I believe it espouses questionable morality. I believe it to be historically inaccurate, an amalgamation of ancient texts - nothing more.

I refuse to continue a conversation with someone who sullies the word "evidence," who continually and purposefully denies presented view, and who attacks me for citing sources and sharing insightful commentary, while simultaneously hiding behind his ignorance.

You are free to continue pretending that the words of countless scholars, the research of multiple scientists, is meaningless. You can continue to ignore actually addressing my arguments and instead attack the format of my posts. And you can continue to live under a shroud and beat encroaching enlightenment away with a Bible.

I am embarrassed, embarrassed that I did not see how pointless this would be earlier. I weep for you, Homestar.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 am

(SWGO)SirPepsi wrote:
CommanderOtto wrote:
(SWGO)SirPepsi wrote:Your hypocrisy is evident, as you constantly cite Bible verses to back up your claims. [/color]

of course, we are talking about the Bible! :-|
No, in a debate about Biblical Inerrancy, passages from the book I'm attempting to debunk do not constitute valid evidence. You need to corroborate Biblical accounts with fact, and you'll notice I didn't criticize his use of the Bible until he called me out on sourcing information he didn't agree with. I'm not limited to looking at the Bible when attempting to disprove it or when illustrating contradictory doctrine.
So far you have submitted things from yahoo answers or "About.com" and other websites that are clearly not evidence. The Bible is not scientific evidence of the type you would like, but if you claim it to be false, we have to cite it, do research and prove your point is incorrect.
I've not once cited "Yahoo Answers," and I find it disgusting the way you conveniently ignore the numerous scientific articles I cited in the beginning of the thread and the multiple Biblical analyses written by established scholars. What about the hour lecture by the IV League University Professor? While trying to mis-portray my arguments, you have cast light on the type of discourse you enjoy engaging in - discourse that reaffirms your views.
but then, let me ask, what proof is there that Jesus went to India?? About.com lists similarity of stories, which is a pure theory with absolutely no evidence, nothing more. The beliefs of Hindus are completely different from those taught in Christianity.
There exist a wealth of Indian accounts, authored by monks and officials alike that tell the story of Christ visiting India. This documentary is done by the BBC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiy5uY3Iw2s. Is that source legitimate enough for you? I'm not saying that these accounts are necessarily true, but I am saying that other cultures offer accounts of Christ in their territory - even the Japanese believe he visited their island.
and by the way, I just explained to you, gnostics were other Pagan religions from the middle east that had no connection with the original scriptures. The fact that they later "mixed" with Christianity. It is pretty obvious they manipulated the text to gain more followers. Not very different from what happened in the middle ages when the church accepted the use of a cross to symbolize Christ, when in fact that symbol comes from nordic pagan religions. One thing is the original texts, another thing is mixing it with pagan mystic beliefs later on. The gnostic books in the Bible feels like adding a chapter of Physics in the middle of a Poetry book. It doesn't belong there. The content does not match.
There are no "original scriptures," (who are you to say which is correct and which is not without supplying evidence?) and your laughable "explanations" do not elucidate the nature of the scripture. To me, the inclusion of some of the Books in the Bible feels exactly as you described, and the exclusion of others, like the Gospel of Thomas, to me appear to be motivated by a desire to preserve the idea that Jesus was divine, despite the fact that he never claimed to be. Thomas talks about his Jesus's childhood, and much evidence suggested Christ was in love with Mary Magdalene, some of that evidence is found in Thomas. I wonder why the Church excluded his account - he was a disciple after all.

as I said, you can't believe two things. You only believe one. Or you believe one account, or you believe the other one (gospel of thomas). But I know the Bible because I read it (not just mere passages). If something is conflicting then one of them is false. I chose mine. You choose the gospel of thomas. That's all i'm saying. Either Judas is a traitor or he is a hero. You can't have both. By the way, these are hardly laughable attempts, the problem is that you are debating something you hardly understand. For your account of an Indian Jesus to be true, then that means that text that was found by the russian explorer must have been written sometime around 1-30 of the common era. I doubt that is the case. Tell me, in what year was this text produced? If it was produced 3 or 4 centuries after, it's a legend that formed from probably some christian that traveled there and retold the story of Jesus with very little knowledge of the Bible itself. Note, 300 or 400 years after Jesus in some far away land in an era when people have few or no reading capabilities... thus, it can't be taken seriously. And about BBC making a program about Jesus in India, it is not surprising. There are plenty of programs that make sensational claims to make extra viewers like those Nostradamus tv shows or programs about Armageddon in the History Channel, spewing a bunch of crazy theories to gain an extra buck. And no offense, I am not trying to insult you by this. I sincerely believe you have never even read the Bible you are accusing to be false.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:54 am

There are undeniable contradictions and falsities in the Bible. If you refuse to see them, we're done here.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:55 am

(SWGO)SirPepsi wrote:There are undeniable contradictions and falsities in the Bible. If you refuse to see them, we're done here.

fine.

EDIT: all I was merely saying is that you are talking about books that do contradict (like the gospel of thomas or judas)... the bible itself does not have any. Again, I am sorry you feel like this. :-|
And let me add, criticizing the Bible without knowing much of it is just like an economist disregarding the Austrian school of economics without even knowing what they teach.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:17 am

Otto, I'm sorry for reacting like that. I'd like to inform you that I have studied the Bible intensely - I've read it multiple times and have not only taken classes on it for 8+ years but also attended Chapel services 5 of 7 days each week for the same amount of time. When I choose to speak about the Bible, I am informed.

The Books I referenced do contradict the Bible. That was the point I was making - that there do exist viable historical documents that offer a different take on events. That's all I was trying to prove, that the Bible isn't the sole text from the time period. I think we can agree on this.

Where we disagree is here: I do not believe the Bible to be flawless. It does have both faults and contradictions. The Gospel of Thomas was, I believe, purposefully excluded from the Bible because it contradicted with what the Church wanted to teach. Biblical teachings, the notion that the teachings of the Bible are compatible is ridiculous - the only reason that they are as cohesive as they are is because they have been edited to agree.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:28 am

(SWGO)SirPepsi wrote:Otto, I'm sorry for reacting like that. I'd like to inform you that I have studied the Bible intensely - I've read it multiple times and have not only taken classes on it for 8+ years but also attended Chapel services 5 of 7 days each week for the same amount of time. When I choose to speak about the Bible, I am informed.

The Books I referenced do contradict the Bible. That was the point I was making - that there do exist viable historical documents that offer a different take on events. That's all I was trying to prove, that the Bible isn't the sole text from the time period. I think we can agree on this.

Where we disagree is here: I do not believe the Bible to be flawless. It does have both faults and contradictions. The Gospel of Thomas was, I believe, purposefully excluded from the Bible because it contradicted with what the Church wanted to teach. Biblical teachings, the notion that the teachings of the Bible are compatible is ridiculous - the only reason that they are as cohesive as they are is because they have been edited to agree.

Ok, then I am wrong about you not knowing anything. I am actually happy that you have dedicated several years to the study of the Bible as well. As for your idea that it was edited to agree, well, each person has to make a decision on what to believe.

and let me tell you, I have read almost everything you posted, except the video... I have some prejudice against videos on these things, specially because channels want to make money and they do not always inform as they should.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Previous

Return to Non-Game Discussions