Ukraine crisis escalating

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: Ukraine crisis escalating

Postby ProfessorDreadNaught » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:27 pm

BurzaP wrote:
[NH]Shadow wrote:
BurzaP wrote:I have no idea how this things will go but I regret that when I was judged in my eighteens by ability to serve in army I got A.. I could ask for D.
I haven't a clue if there will be any war in Ukraine (or if it has already started, I mean, if we can call occupation this way) but if the answer is positive and we know Ukraine won't win it then I wouldn't be surprised if Russia would like to attack Poland. Blitzkrieg, 1 day and with our 30 000 troops against 700 000 I can't see a future. European countries are obligated to help us but it would already be too late. I'm just only speculating without any real knowledge to the situation but I have bad feelings about this :/

Cześć, Burzap :clap:
I didn't know you were in the Polish army...that's pretty cool. :punk:

hey, I haven't precised enough. I'm not in army because military service is not obligatory min my country. But my category means that if there is a need they will take me to army without any questions. Hopefully, there will not be such situation. Besides that, I don't think that being in army is cool when it comes down to killing others (and in the end it's what it is for). Sad suits better. No matter what for, I just don't like idea of killing and being killed as life is too short anyway. People should fight to keep peace if country is facing aggression and formally I can be one of them but being object of slaughter is nowhere near what I call "cool" :)

A little off topic, but your comment deserves an immediate response. Being in the army or any military for that matter, is not, in the end all about killing. It IS about enforcing the will of a ruling government. If that means rescuing someone from a flooded home after a natural disaster, distributing food to starving people, setting up checkpoints, inspection stations, walking patrols on city streets, detaining dangerous or suspicious characters, seizing drugs, guns, hostages; protecting embassies, providing secure communications for diplomats, flying reconnaissance missions to gather imagery and maintain satellites for Global Positioning, planting mines, detecting and disarming mines, deterring or capturing pirates, drug smugglers, gun runners, slave traders; or as in the case of ballistic submarines, just being there to give someone pause before doing the unthinkable...

These things are what a military does before a single shot is fired in anger or any life is taken. Knowing HOW to kill and demonstrating that you can do it goes a long way to achieving these things WITHOUT having to kill. Military service in a country run by good and sane rulers is something that any man or woman should be proud of. You don't have to be a rabid, blood thirsty killer to serve (and provide GOOD service) to your country's military. It DOES mean that you must take it seriously enough to kill as a last resort, but in those cases, I think you could generally be proud of even that service too.
“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.”
“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.”
"Freedom (n.): To ask nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing."
ProfessorDreadNaught
Community Member

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:27 am

Well said.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby WD-40 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:10 pm

I agree with what Dread outlined to the degree the military was/is properly used as intended, and provided the intentions are 'pure' by a legit Leadership. However, in this case, Russia's presence is obviously not welcome by the majority of Ukrainians since it is 'their' soil now. Their Democracy is now threatened by a bully who would possibly (maybe even likely..we'll see) influence where they go from here, and just 'who' runs the Country. A puppet state? Hope not.

Early in the Iraqi War, many Iraqis wanted the US there. After years of presence and an established new Government, many wanted us out, even though we meant well. We still had a lot of influence on their politics because of our military presence. The US presence on the Military side at the Baghdad Airport is practically zero now compared to the immense presence that we had there just a few years back. I've seen both scenarios in person. The airport under the US control was well run. Now it's a total cluster-f***, with BS extortion fees for handling toward airlines and even the US govt to land there.

The military can keep certain things in check, but who knows what exactly you end up with when people with an ax to grind end up with power in their hands and suddenly have control? God knows, many leaders like that useless P.O.S. Karzi in Afghanistan has stolen millions in US aid and stuffed it away somewhere safe for when he has to leave the country after losing his power.

Personally, I wish the US had just stayed the hell out of foreign issues like takeovers, and spent the Trillions on building up our Military, protecting our borders, helping our economy and its Citizens, and protecting Israel, instead of wasting those trillions (and American lives) intervening in countries who end up hating us anyway. Let the chips fall where they may.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Duel of Fates » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Well said.
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby Hobo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:37 pm

why do we care about is isreal? not that I'm against protecting them, just curious.
Hobo
Community Member

Steam ID: a_hobo_

Postby ProfessorDreadNaught » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Hobo wrote:why do we care about is isreal? not that I'm against protecting them, just curious.

They are the only liberal western democracy in the region. They ensure peaceful access to religious sites that others would destroy. They are the enemy of our enemies.

Pick any.

Also, partially its penance. We hemmed and hawed and stuck with appeasement while a genocide occurred.
“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.”
“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.”
ProfessorDreadNaught
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:25 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (140.68 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 am

ProfessorDreadNaught wrote:
Hobo wrote:why do we care about is isreal? not that I'm against protecting them, just curious.

They are the only liberal western democracy in the region. They ensure peaceful access to religious sites that others would destroy. They are the enemy of our enemies.

Pick any.

Also, partially its penance. We hemmed and hawed and stuck with appeasement while a genocide occurred.

It's also the fact that many Evangelical Christian's view Israel as an important part of the end times plan so that tends to trickle upwards to the government.
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby ProfessorDreadNaught » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:47 pm

(SWGO)DesertEagle wrote:
ProfessorDreadNaught wrote:

Pick any.

It's also the fact that many Evangelical Christian's view Israel as an important part of the end times plan so that tends to trickle upwards to the government.

Its a FACT huh?

Name ONE christian, (evangelical or otherwise) who will state that as a reason to support Israel.

WOW, puttin' words in peoples mouths.
ProfessorDreadNaught
Community Member

Postby Mandalore » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:29 pm

It's because Israel is a cool kid. Also because they are a first world economy, have a secular democracy, and share a religious tradition more recognized than the more numerous strings between Islam and Christianity. Pity that their promised land is almost entirely bereft of strategic resources and is arguably the most fought over strip of land in world history.
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Game Discussions