Common Core "State" Standards

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: Common Core "State" Standards

Postby NiteRunner81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 am

And IdealistCake -- your name says enough to me... and ALL of my links are unbiased.. the WICHE site and future of sex ed sites are direct RESOURCE sites for Common Core's new SEX ED standards and my regions SHARED data mining exchange.

It is UNCONSTITUTIONAL .... States are supposed to be the ones that develop the standards.. not offered a waiver and a boat load of cash to adopt a NATIONALLY DEVELOPED set of standards by LOBBYISTS that produce "Human Capital"..

I'm sorry I want my son to be a free thinking intellectual INDIVIDUAL, not "Human Capital".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OPpbQWg9X8 ---- FULL OF FACTS!!!!
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 am

NiteRunner81 wrote:I'm considering homeschooling myself. It all depends. I think I may be biting off more than I can chew. I'm raising the money I need for his materials just incase. Homeschooling with a newborn just seems a bit intense.

I was homeschooled for what is considered the hardest part of schooling: high school, and I got a great education (it prepares you better for college because it basically becomes self-study at that point).

I highly recommend joining a local umbrella organization (my parents did this), they will help you get all the necessary paperwork, make recommendations on materials (there are often curriculum fairs where you can check out lots of material). Also, I recommend joining the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). They provide lawyers and advice just in case the state comes knocking (we never ever had to use them but it was peace of mind, you can get them on the phone and they will talk to the official).

If you count the cost, it's cheaper than private school, and you get to chose the curriculum.

And Idealist, I have actually talked to a friend of mine (a 7th grade teacher) who had to implement some of this stuff, and she tells me that it's terrible, and that all of the teachers hate it.
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby [NH]Shadow » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:05 pm

(SWGO)DesertEagle wrote:
NiteRunner81 wrote:I'm considering homeschooling myself. It all depends. I think I may be biting off more than I can chew. I'm raising the money I need for his materials just incase. Homeschooling with a newborn just seems a bit intense.

I was homeschooled for what is considered the hardest part of schooling: high school, and I got a great education (it prepares you better for college because it basically becomes self-study at that point).

I highly recommend joining a local umbrella organization (my parents did this), they will help you get all the necessary paperwork, make recommendations on materials (there are often curriculum fairs where you can check out lots of material). Also, I recommend joining the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). They provide lawyers and advice just in case the state comes knocking (we never ever had to use them but it was peace of mind, you can get them on the phone and they will talk to the official).

If you count the cost, it's cheaper than private school, and you get to chose the curriculum.

And Idealist, I have actually talked to a friend of mine (a 7th grade teacher) who had to implement some of this stuff, and she tells me that it's terrible, and that all of the teachers hate it.

THIS. Do all of this ^
I know it's not my place to make any re commendations, but;
Spoiler: show
I would recommend having your child do a lot of out-of-school but learning-related electives. Don't force him to do electives he doesn't want, but let hm find and interest and kindle it. Some of my best learning comes from of school activities, some of which I still get school credit for (I.e. learning multiple 'real' languages [arabic] and multiple coding languages).
'You've taken your first step into a larger world'
http://galactic-voyage.com
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Max » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:16 pm

I know nothing at all about any of this, seeing as I'm homeschooled so I don't do anything with public schools (Until I take the ACT) but my dad is a 3rd grade teacher.(I'm homeschooled, but my dad is a teacher I know.) & as far as I've heard, my dad and the other teachers at the elementary school he teaches at, all love it.
MAX SPEED
(SWGO)Max
Community Member

Xfire: mrelite1

Postby Duel of Fates » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 pm

Guess not everyone drinks the same flavor kool-aid.
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby haasd0gg » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Duel of Fates wrote:Guess not everyone drinks the same flavor kool-aid.

haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby NiteRunner81 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:25 am

Just joined the HSLDA...

Regardless of what flavor of koolaid any of us drinks I shudder to think that anyone thinks its okay to use medical devices such as pressure mice, blood pressure sensors, MRIs, posture detectors, or retinal scanners to detect childrens reactions to certain subjects is okay... In my humble opinion anyone who thinks that is okay to do to children should refrain from having children. That is downright abusive and intrusive to a child's privacy.

Scenario one: child gets shown a picture of a man (gay, straight, Mexican, black, etc.) who looks a lot like a neighbor that sexually abused them and these devices detect it.. they can assume its prejudice and ARREST parents for "raising a bully" when its really a child's reaction to traumatic stimuli.

Scenario two: Teenage boy gets shown a picture of an attractive woman and gets turned on.. then gets shown a picture of a male subject and then doesn't get turned on... OR VICE VERSA.... gets called a bigot and parents get investigated. OR gets their sexual orientation broadcasted in front of the class and gets bullied or called a bully....

And in the sexual education standards they are pushing they want children to know what masturbation is and how to do it by the 2nd grade... WTF??????

EDIT: And being forced to answer survey questions like this:

NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Postby haasd0gg » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 am

I didn't say I agree with the extreme potential of this and, I'm sure, if it becomes bastardized or abused in such a way then you will certainly see more folks moving over to home or private education.
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby NiteRunner81 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:06 am

haasd0gg wrote:I didn't say I agree with the extreme potential of this and, I'm sure, if it becomes bastardized or abused in such a way then you will certainly see more folks moving over to home or private education.

I didn't think you were disagreeing with me at all... There are some others that obviously think these standards are god's gift to educational standards when in reality they violate our constitution. CCSS was developed, copyrighted, and implemented in a way that makes it federally ILLEGAL for teachers to supplement or modify the curriculum in any way, shape, or form. Achieve Inc. has copyrighted the curriculum and is only licensing it out to certain text book/work book publishers. Houghton Mifflin and Carson Dellosa are the two bigger ones that are going to make a KILLING over this...

And also... The push to private/home education has already happened due to CCSS... I never thought in a million years I would want to home school, especially with my health concerns and the fact that the hubs and I have yet to have a date night or hour to ourselves since Tank has been born.. But now, with Common Core and the fact that idiots can't seem to keep their kids home when they're sick I'm on the verge of it. I already have Kindergarten Curriculum developed and ready to execute.
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Postby CommanderOtto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:00 pm

NiteRunner81 wrote:Just joined the HSLDA...

Regardless of what flavor of koolaid any of us drinks I shudder to think that anyone thinks its okay to use medical devices such as pressure mice, blood pressure sensors, MRIs, posture detectors, or retinal scanners to detect childrens reactions to certain subjects is okay... In my humble opinion anyone who thinks that is okay to do to children should refrain from having children. That is downright abusive and intrusive to a child's privacy.

Scenario one: child gets shown a picture of a man (gay, straight, Mexican, black, etc.) who looks a lot like a neighbor that sexually abused them and these devices detect it.. they can assume its prejudice and ARREST parents for "raising a bully" when its really a child's reaction to traumatic stimuli.

Scenario two: Teenage boy gets shown a picture of an attractive woman and gets turned on.. then gets shown a picture of a male subject and then doesn't get turned on... OR VICE VERSA.... gets called a bigot and parents get investigated. OR gets their sexual orientation broadcasted in front of the class and gets bullied or called a bully....

And in the sexual education standards they are pushing they want children to know what masturbation is and how to do it by the 2nd grade... WTF??????

wait, what? I wasn't paying much attention to this thread, but if it is true... then WTH? Why would anyone allow something like this? One thing is to bring the curriculum to national standards, another thing is to completely control kids lives like this.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Game Discussions