Good Riddance Fred Phelps

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: Good Riddance Fred Phelps

Postby (SWGO)Max » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:45 pm

صَامَّنُحْ(=DK=) wrote:
(SWGO)Max wrote: Homosexuality is wrong, & the Bible says it is an abomination to the Lord

Care to back up that statement with verses that aren't pulled out of context?

Leviticus 18:22 - Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

1st Timothy 1:9-10 - Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,(10) For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

1 Corinthians 7:2 - But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.(Does not say each man should have his own man, or each woman her own woman.)

Genesis 2:23-24 - And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Jude 1:7 - Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Romans 1:27 - And the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Because the Bible does not say homosexuality is wrong in every verse, that doesn't make it right. You never read in the Bible of homosexual marriages, or examples of homosexual relationships. The Bible never supports it, which to me means that it is wrong.

Like I said though, we are not to judge others, God gets the final say.
James 4:12 -There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?
MAX SPEED
(SWGO)Max
Community Member

Xfire: mrelite1

Postby Col. Hstar » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:10 pm

THEWULFMAN wrote:Yeah, Paul would agree. He was appalled when the teachings of Moses and Abraham was being added to the "Christian" faith in the people of Galatia. That's why he wrote them, telling them to stop it. We are free from the curse of the old laws thanks to Jesus' sacrifice. All that mat.ters is our faith, not the laws we used to be bound by. That combined with the fact that Matthew taught us not to judge, as it is not our place, is why I'm so firm in my beliefs about homosexuality.

Sorry but I want to point out that Paul was not appalled by the teachings being added. He did not view them as a curse or bad in any way whatsoever.

Galatians 3:23-25
23 However, before the faith arrived, we were being guarded under law, being handed over into custody, looking to the faith that was about to be revealed. 24 So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith. 25 But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian.

Clearly he had deep regard for the law. He did not view it as wrong, in fact he said that it was a safeguard for them. He simply said it was no longer needed.
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Son wrote:MD got him with a time bomb in the cantina as he was protesting the death of vader...

Lol, I just saw that.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:11 am

(SWGO)Max wrote:Because the Bible does not say homosexuality is wrong in every verse, that doesn't make it right. You never read in the Bible of homosexual marriages, or examples of homosexual relationships. The Bible never supports it, which to me means that it is wrong.

Because the Bible does not say driving is wrong in every verse, that doesn't make it right. You never read in the Bible of people driving cars, or examples of car owners. The Bible never supports it, which to me means that it is wrong.

It is sinful to drive, because it is not mentioned in the Bible.

Because the Bible does not say playing video games is wrong in every verse, that doesn't make it right. You never read in the Bible of people gaming, or examples of video game owners. The Bible never supports it, which to me means that it is wrong.

It is sinful to play video games, because it is not mentioned in the Bible.
...انا أتكلم اللغة العربية. هل هي سيئة؟ لا
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Postby 11_Panama_ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm

I tend to look at it in the opposite view... it's not an issue if it's not in the Bible.
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby THEWULFMAN » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Col. Hstar wrote:Sorry but I want to point out that Paul was not appalled by the teachings being added. He did not view them as a curse or bad in any way whatsoever.

Galatians 3:23-25
23 However, before the faith arrived, we were being guarded under law, being handed over into custody, looking to the faith that was about to be revealed. 24 So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith. 25 But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian.

Clearly he had deep regard for the law. He did not view it as wrong, in fact he said that it was a safeguard for them. He simply said it was no longer needed.

Galatians 1:6-10
6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Galatians 3:1-3
3 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?

Galatians 3:10-14
10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.” 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Okay fine. He was astonished, and considered them fools, but he wasn't appalled. I don't know how much clearer he needed to make it that those who follow the law are under a curse, though.

I'm not going to lie, and say that some of the old laws never had a place. They did, in an ancient world completely unlike our own. Those who still follow them are not following the teaching's of Christ and his apostles. They have no place in a modern world.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby Col. Hstar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:14 pm

THEWULFMAN wrote:Galatians 3:10-14
10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.” 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
Okay fine. He was astonished, and considered them fools, but he wasn't appalled. I don't know how much clearer he needed to make it that those who follow the law are under a curse, though.
I'm not going to lie, and say that some of the old laws never had a place. They did, in an ancient world completely unlike our own. Those who still follow them are not following the teaching's of Christ and his apostles. They have no place in a modern world.

In my opinion you are misusing the word cursed. In the very same scripture you quote Paul explains his use of the word curse. Right after the portion you underline is where he quotes Deuteronomy 27:26 which says "Cursed is the one who will not uphold the words of this Law by carrying them out." This scripture implies malediction or calamity for those not following the law. Paul warned the Christians continuing to follow the law after redemption by Jesus Christ would bring the same calamity or malediction as was mention in Deuteronomy.

If you claim that Paul felt that the law was a curse, How do you explain him referring to it as a guardian only 14 short verses later?

@Samunah
Leviticus 18:22 is pretty clear cut.
Also no one said driving or playing video games is wrong. However you can find helpful principals for these activities. For instance the bible warns against drunkenness and we all know the dangers of DUI.
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Previous

Return to Non-Game Discussions