Good Riddance Fred Phelps

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: Good Riddance Fred Phelps

Postby (SWGO)Max » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:55 pm

[NH]Shadow wrote:
(SWGO)Max wrote:I know very little about this guy. What exactly is all the hate for?

He protested homosexual weddings, and inspired his church to wave "God Hates ***" signs all over the place [which is untrue by the way, God loves everyone]. He was the antipodes of a true Christian, in my humble opinion.

Ah. Yes, that's taking it too far. Homosexuality is wrong, & the Bible says it is an abomination to the Lord, but you are correct, God doesn't hate anyone. It isn't a mans job to try to layout punishment or judgement on others. They may be wrong, but God gets the final say.
MAX SPEED
(SWGO)Max
Community Member

Xfire: mrelite1

Postby 11_Panama_ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Max, it takes a lot of cojones in today's world to come out and say that... watch out.. they might classify you a homophobe (I love how the word is a misspelling according to the auto correct :lol: ), and compare you to Hitler or worse, get charged with a hate crime for being against what has been forced on us.

I proof read my post. And what started as a humorous post, actually isn't funny... because being against same sex partnerships could actually be made into a hate crime some day. God I hate what this country has become. :cursing:
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby NiteRunner81 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:35 pm

I guess what irks me the most about Fred Phelps is that he was shielded from having his funeral picketed by having his services held at Arlington.

Just shows how much of a coward he was to give to others what he refused to take in the end. Yellow bellied son of a....
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:30 pm

(SWGO)Max wrote: Homosexuality is wrong, & the Bible says it is an abomination to the Lord

Care to back up that statement with verses that aren't pulled out of context?
...انا أتكلم اللغة العربية. هل هي سيئة؟ لا
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Postby Col. Hstar » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:31 am

صَامَّنُحْ(=DK=) wrote:
(SWGO)Max wrote: Homosexuality is wrong, & the Bible says it is an abomination to the Lord

Care to back up that statement with verses that aren't pulled out of context?

Leviticus 18:22
“‘You must not lie down with a male in the same way that you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable act.

Of course it is important to know that the word detestable is not at all the same as abomination. Abomination is defined as "a thing that causes disgust or hatred" while detestable is defined as "deserving intense dislike" not a huge difference but it shows that we are not expected to have hatred towards people who commit the act.

Also while in the Mosaic Law the punishment was to be put to death, this is no longer the case since we are not bound by the law. The Law was in place for the ancient nation of Israel who wanted the special position of being God's chosen nation. Hence the strict laws meant to keep the nation clean spiritually. While the Law does not apply to us today, it still offers insight into what is acceptable to God and what is not.

Also I agree with Panama's statement. One does not have to approve of homosexuality to be open minded. It's my lifestyle choice to live according to bible standards. There is nothing close minded or bigoted about that. People need to learn to respect each others views.
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby NiteRunner81 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:17 am

Personally I don't approve of homosexuality but to be honest, I want them to legalize SSM's worldwide because there are sometimes people caught in the cracks that didn't ask to be put in those cracks. Kids of gay couples, for example. No one should be taken away from a loving parent and sent to live with strangers who will blow their world apart. You also deserve to die with the people YOU want around you.. basic rights..

Also I think at least in the US, we have bigger fish to fry and need to get this civil rights issue closed so that the focus can be steered in the direction it needs to... like lets say the economy and rejecting all this education reform..
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am

Col. Hstar wrote:Leviticus 18:22
“‘You must not lie down with a male in the same way that you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable act.

But look at other things banned in Leviticus:

-Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6)
-Tearing your clothes (10:6)
-Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (cf: camel, rabbit, pig) (11:4-7)
-Going to church within 33 days after giving birth to a boy (12:4)
-Going to church within 66 days after giving birth to a girl (12:5)
-Lying (19:11)
-Swearing falsely on God’s name (19:12)
-Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19)
-Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)
-Trimming your beard (19:27)
-Cutting your hair at the sides (19:27)
-Getting tattoos (19:28)
-Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32)
-Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)
-Selling land permanently (25:23)

I am willing to bet anything that you and many other Christians do not adhere to all of these demands of the Old Testament. If we are going to focus so hard of condemning gay marriage, why not condemn just as heavily those who eat pork or shave their beard? All sin is equal in the eyes of God, so it seems hypocritical for Christian society to judge so harshly and make illegal the act of two men or women entering into a romantic relationship.
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Postby THEWULFMAN » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:37 am

I'm a Christian, but I have a very simple rule. If you can't explain to me why something is wrong without using the bible*, then I consider the rule null and void. Basically Leviticus doesn't apply to Christians anyway, according to Paul in Galations.

And as for how the WBC treated homosexuals, I'll just quote the bible itself.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." -Matthew 7:1

Even if homosexuality is a sin, it's not our place to judge them.

*The exception to my rule is about Religious specific things. As an example, not saying God's name in vain, or not worshiping other gods.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:57 am

The only reason homosexuality was viewed as wrong back in the day was because of the tribal system, under which each person was expected the mate and provide as many new children to continue on the tribe's name. A man sleeping with another man was viewed as a waste of reproductive potential.
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Postby [NH]Shadow » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:53 pm

صَامَّنُحْ(=DK=) wrote:
Col. Hstar wrote:Leviticus 18:22

But look at other things banned in Leviticus:

-Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6)
-Tearing your clothes (10:6)
-Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (cf: camel, rabbit, pig) (11:4-7)
-Going to church within 33 days after giving birth to a boy (12:4)
-Going to church within 66 days after giving birth to a girl (12:5)
-Lying (19:11)
-Swearing falsely on God’s name (19:12)
-Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19)
-Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)
-Trimming your beard (19:27)
-Cutting your hair at the sides (19:27)
-Getting tattoos (19:28)
-Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32)
-Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)
-Selling land permanently (25:23)

I am willing to bet anything that you and many other Christians do not adhere to all of these demands of the Old Testament. If we are going to focus so hard of condemning gay marriage, why not condemn just as heavily those who eat pork or shave their beard? All sin is equal in the eyes of God, so it seems hypocritical for Christian society to judge so harshly and make illegal the act of two men or women entering into a romantic relationship.

There are two types of Laws given in Leviticus: the first kind is permanent laws, not to be violated under any circumstances. Example: "do not sleep with a man as you would a woman", "do not sleep with an animal as you would a woman", "do not sleep with your daughter or mother or relative as you would your wife". The other kind is laws that are for specifically the Israelites, and are for their health (most of the laws that you mentioned, were made to prevent disease, misconduct, and bodily harm). For example: getting tattoos isn't "wrong" nowadays, but it certainly does physical damage and can be detrimental later. Other laws include "Whoever touches a human corpse will be unclean for 7 days" [Numbers 19:11]. Now, with modern science, we kno that touching a dead corpse and eating pre-dead animals are detrimental to one's health.
'You've taken your first step into a larger world'
http://galactic-voyage.com
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Game Discussions