Donald Sterling

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Donald Sterling

Postby JAF » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:47 am

"Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. " - Babe Ruth
JAF
Community Member

Xfire: jaf10

Re: Donald Sterling

Postby CommanderOtto » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:19 pm

LOL at one of the signs a fan took to the game... "Clippers new owner Wanted!! Racists need not apply!!"

Good thing that idiot won't even get to see the games. I can only imagine his face when knowing the news :lol:

BTW, good to see you again JAF. :th_a017:
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby [NH]Shadow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:06 pm

JAF wrote:Image

HAHAHA. I heard he was fined 2.5 million bucks, and banned from the NBA or something like that.
'You've taken your first step into a larger world'
http://galactic-voyage.com
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby Duel of Fates » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:34 pm

I am not condoning his rant, nor his bigotry. BUT, this is America, where freedom of speech is still a right? Even perceived private conversations? You alright with someone losing their properties, investments, and assets, and their right to access those? What laws has the guy broken? And he is being punished by being banned from his team and the NBA?

This is bizzarro world again. How do you ban a team owner from the NBA?

I think everyone that has interacted with this jackass knew he was a piece of racist scum for years. Including the NAACP taking donations for 15 to 20 years from him, knowing he was a racist bastard and slum lord. Hell, they were even going to give him a Lifetime Achievement Award. For the second time! Talk about hypocrisy.

This is still America. You cannot lose your property because you are a stupid racist bigot. Everyone has a right to be stupid.

I think if you really wanted to force him out, boycott the team, don't buy the team merchandise, season ticket holders demand refunds, sponsors drop him like a hot rock. Defund him.

Let the howling from the PC police commence.
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby JAF » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:56 pm

I complete agree with you DoF...this is America and that's why they are banning him. NBA is a large business and you can't have a "business partner" who makes the company look bad. Companies don't want to be associated with the Clippers because the owner is a bigot, which is losing the NBA money as well as shedding bad publicity on the NBA. And with a new commissioner, he needs to show that he can take control of a situation, hence the lifetime ban. I don't think he deserves to be punished for his words but for the fact that it costs the NBA money.
"Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. " - Babe Ruth
JAF
Community Member

Xfire: jaf10

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Duel, this will fall under the franchise agreement that Sterling would've been aware of from the get go. My issue is if this is a two way street, which I'm sure it isn't.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby Duel of Fates » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm

JAF wrote:I complete agree with you DoF...this is America and that's why they are banning him. NBA is a large business and you can't have a "business partner" who makes the company look bad. Companies don't want to be associated with the Clippers because the owner is a bigot, which is losing the NBA money as well as shedding bad publicity on the NBA. And with a new commissioner, he needs to show that he can take control of a situation, hence the lifetime ban. I don't think he deserves to be punished for his words but for the fact that it costs the NBA money.

That is fine from a business perspective. Like I said, defund him, no one that is outraged by his conduct should do business with him and devalue his franchise to the point he sells it. But to take it away? What would be next? Someone says something about gays? Someone says something about Obamacare? Someone says something about abortion? Take their business away? Sell their assets? Where does this lead?

The NBA could have revoked his franchise license, and devalued his team so that when he sells the team, he will not reap as much from it. (even tho he is a billionaire already). But the NBA doesn't want to devalue the clippers because that would hurt the revenue and the bottom line for the NBA. So they are showing their hypocrisy as well.

I just wonder where this slippery slope will lead to?

just saw your comment MD, not sure what you mean by "two way street"?
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby CommanderOtto » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Duel of Fates wrote:I am not condoning his rant, nor his bigotry. BUT, this is America, where freedom of speech is still a right? Even perceived private conversations? You alright with someone losing their properties, investments, and assets, and their right to access those? What laws has the guy broken? And he is being punished by being banned from his team and the NBA?

This is bizzarro world again. How do you ban a team owner from the NBA?

I think everyone that has interacted with this jackass knew he was a piece of racist scum for years. Including the NAACP taking donations for 15 to 20 years from him, knowing he was a racist bastard and slum lord. Hell, they were even going to give him a Lifetime Achievement Award. For the second time! Talk about hypocrisy.

This is still America. You cannot lose your property because you are a stupid racist bigot. Everyone has a right to be stupid.

I think if you really wanted to force him out, boycott the team, don't buy the team merchandise, season ticket holders demand refunds, sponsors drop him like a hot rock. Defund him.

Let the howling from the PC police commence.

I thought he was only being banned from participating in the team, but that doesn't mean he will stop being the owner. I have not heard anything of his assets being seized for this. As far as I know, he is simply not allowed to participate in anything NBA related, that's it.... so the talk of "who is going to be the next owner" is referring to what steps he will take now. Will he sell his team to his wife? Nobody knows yet. If he can sell his team, that means nothing was seized. And well, I guess the NBA has the right to ban him or else he would be damaging the reputation of a sports institution.

I could be wrong, but... my 2 cents.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:07 pm

He's going to have to cave sooner or later because of the lack of sponsor money.

I don't think the NBA can force him to sell the team, but the sponsors are certainly free to pull their money and people to boycott the stadium.
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:50 pm

I heard on the radio that he bought the team for $15 million and it's now worth about $700 million. If true, I'm sure he'd sell for the right price. It's a win for him.

BTW, I don't condone what he said or how he acts either. However, secretly taping a private conversation should have legal consequences for the Post-op plastic bimbo who taped it.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Next

Return to Non-Game Discussions