Star Wars Standalone Films

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Star Wars Standalone Films

Postby Jedi Power » Fri May 23, 2014 12:25 am

The Official Star Wars Site has announced that the first standalone film is on the way! In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.
"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

Now here is our dilemma... As information and images are released or leaked, will it be Episode VII or will it be the standalone? What a wonderful problem to have! The "Golden Age of Star Wars" has arrived!
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Origin ID: SWGO_Jedi_Power

Re: Star Wars Standalone Films

Postby CommanderOtto » Fri May 23, 2014 2:38 am

Im happy for the new trilogy, but I knew Disney was going to ruin this somehow. Stand alone films? They simply don't care about the story, they just want to swallow star wars, chew it, and spit out the remains after they made all their money.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Col. Hstar » Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 am

I'm a bit skeptical too. A stand alone means you'll get people who have a scifi screen play or story they want to tell and what they do is slap the Star Wars title on it to make lots and lots of money.

Don't believe me?

It happened to the novels. Books like Shadows of Mindor, Death Troopers etc weren't really Star Wars grade books. Even the latest Fate of the Jedi series was repetitive and predictable. Death Troopers was just a zombie book with undead storm troopers instead of Zombies.

If someone wants to do something good make a TV show out of the X-wing series
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Sat May 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Col. Hstar wrote:If someone wants to do something good make a TV show out of the X-wing series

I heard those books were pretty good.

Disney, please don't EA this.
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby Jedi Power » Sat May 24, 2014 11:53 pm

I've been pulling for an X-wing series for a long time.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Origin ID: SWGO_Jedi_Power

Return to Non-Game Discussions