You think you are paying high taxes? Think again...

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Re: You think you are paying high taxes? Think again...

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Even if social security lasts, if you depend on it, you are going to have a very meager retirement. It's not very much.

If you want a truly good retirement you have to invest. There are ways of doing that which are relatively safe and decently profitable. The trick is to take your risks while you are young (thus making more money) before backing it down progressively to safer and safer investments as you get older (i.e. less profit).

When you are ready to retire, you put it all in something that is very safe (like government securities) and live off the interest.

Nothing is 100% safe but there are plenty of people who have successfully retired.

Where I live, I was told that you need to have 2 million or so saved to retire comfortably. Apparently being a millionare ain't what it used to be. :mrgreen:
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:43 pm

(SWGO)DesertEagle wrote:Even if social security lasts, if you depend on it, you are going to have a very meager retirement. It's not very much.

If you want a truly good retirement you have to invest. There are ways of doing that which are relatively safe and decently profitable. The trick is to take your risks while you are young (thus making more money) before backing it down progressively to safer and safer investments as you get older (i.e. less profit).

When you are ready to retire, you put it all in something that is very safe (like government securities) and live off the interest.

Nothing is 100% safe but there are plenty of people who have successfully retired.

Where I live, I was told that you need to have 2 million or so saved to retire comfortably. Apparently being a millionare ain't what it used to be. :mrgreen:

sure, that's true. I am not saying that you should depend totally on social security either... but removing it entirely or let it decrease into nothingness is totally different.

Duel of Fates wrote:
CommanderOtto wrote:then you are going to be doomed to a very bad retirement. Financial institutions disappear through the years, government stays. Besides, I have never been in any country where there is not a social security of any kind. That comment "there is no right to pension" is patriotic religiousness... not common sense well-being or economics. Oh, if that is the case, then we shouldn't have police (no "right to have police to save you"), then we shouldn't have roads (I don't see the declaration of independence say "right to good roads"), or maybe we shouldn't have any schools either (no "right to education" right?). For some reason all civilized nations have social security of some kind.

and you are claiming that all the elderly today are raiding social security? What kind of madness is that? sure there are some people who deserve to go to jail for stealing from it, but not everyone is a thief.

See otto, you are falling into the same line of thinking. It is all or nothing. Big Government, or no government.

yeah I know... I was just trying to point out that the "rights" type of argument is not very good.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby deadmeow » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Ultimately you can only depend on yourself. However, what you do comes back to you, good and bad. If you give to the community, this is something that will come back to you. If you give to others, this will come back to you. Even the largest governments fall. Government is corrupt by it's very nature (control of people with violence and coercion). Corrupt things only become more corrupt. In today's world however, if you are lucky you will live somewhere where there is not too much repressive government, as most places have government.

As far as rights go, no person has the right to harm or control another person. We have a difficult road ahead as humanity. The experiment of government will end with government becoming extinct. This will happen in one of two ways. As technology increases, government will commit easier and larger genocides, but this will get out of hand through biological, nuclear, or other form of warfare and make all life extinct on Earth. The other way government could become extinct, is if people wise up,and disengage from government, entire communities, armed forces, police, etc.. Government will destroy the planet like a cancer (and itself in the process), or people will learn to turn the other cheek and love their enemy, and reject all forms of harm.

Back to today's world, we can only take small steps day by day. If you want to disengage from government, you don't have to vote, you can even look for ways to "legally" make less contact with government. You can build a stronger community by doing volunteer work, or taking a job that helps your community where you live. As I get older I can see much clearer. However, if you want to use your life energy to play politics and act as if your life is only temporary, you can try to grab all you can. This is the beauty of free will, as we all have choice.
deadmeow
Community Member

Postby Darth Crater » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:54 pm

deadmeow wrote:Ultimately you can only depend on yourself. However, what you do comes back to you, good and bad. If you give to the community, this is something that will come back to you. If you give to others, this will come back to you. Even the largest governments fall. Government is corrupt by it's very nature (control of people with violence and coercion). Corrupt things only become more corrupt. In today's world however, if you are lucky you will live somewhere where there is not too much repressive government, as most places have government.

As far as rights go, no person has the right to harm or control another person. We have a difficult road ahead as humanity. The experiment of government will end with government becoming extinct. This will happen in one of two ways. As technology increases, government will commit easier and larger genocides, but this will get out of hand through biological, nuclear, or other form of warfare and make all life extinct on Earth. The other way government could become extinct, is if people wise up,and disengage from government, entire communities, armed forces, police, etc.. Government will destroy the planet like a cancer (and itself in the process), or people will learn to turn the other cheek and love their enemy, and reject all forms of harm.

Back to today's world, we can only take small steps day by day. If you want to disengage from government, you don't have to vote, you can even look for ways to "legally" make less contact with government. You can build a stronger community by doing volunteer work, or taking a job that helps your community where you live. As I get older I can see much clearer. However, if you want to use your life energy to play politics and act as if your life is only temporary, you can try to grab all you can. This is the beauty of free will, as we all have choice.

[citation needed]
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:58 am

deadmeow wrote:Ultimately you can only depend on yourself. However, what you do comes back to you, good and bad. If you give to the community, this is something that will come back to you. If you give to others, this will come back to you. Even the largest governments fall. Government is corrupt by it's very nature (control of people with violence and coercion). Corrupt things only become more corrupt. In today's world however, if you are lucky you will live somewhere where there is not too much repressive government, as most places have government.

I partially agree with the way humanity is going (yes, it's going downhill), however I do have a source that says there is hope. :whistling:

Our democratic government has lasted a pretty long time, and done fairly well all things considered. I do believe we need to fight the downhill trend but realize that it is a losing battle.

Mankind as a species requires government, it's innate. If there isn't a government people will make one. We do not do well without control, and we know this, so we band together and assign people to limit the damage.
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:26 am

Darth Crater wrote:

[citation needed]

lol crater :lol:
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby NiteRunner81 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Hell, HOA's are a type of government... A type I wish were ILLEGAL...... Some HOA's don't allow you to fly flags..
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby WD-40 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:55 pm

(SWGO)DesertEagle wrote:Even if social security lasts, if you depend on it, you are going to have a very meager retirement. It's not very much.

I plan to help supplement my retirement income by creative interaction with the public.
index.jpg
index.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Duel of Fates » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:50 pm

WD-40 wrote:

I plan to help supplement my retirement income by creative interaction with the public.
index.jpg

paypal?
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Previous

Return to Non-Game Discussions