My first Ebola quarantine

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

My first Ebola quarantine

Postby haasd0gg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:50 pm

So, yesterday, I busted my ass all day at a nursing home (one of my regular customers) running wires for new "readers" that the nursing staff use. The place is a nightmare for my trade- finished ceilings galore and an infinite number of only semi-movable obstructions on the floor (patients). This is a 2 part project for me and I decided, after packing up all my crap, that I would run back in and do a couple things to make my life easier on the next visit. I left my phone in the truck, reentered the building and hit the 4th floor. Within 10 minutes I was done with that and its counterpart on the 3rd floor. I get off the elevator at 2, open the door to the wing, and everyone turns and looks at me with masks on their faces. The nurse in the middle yells "Hell no! Go somewhere else!" I turn around to the lobby and realize there's a fire chief standing with the administrator and the parking lot is full of rescue and police. The chief had me and the half dozen other people go into the main office and a minute later 2 guys in full hazmat suits with respirators wheel this nurse out on a gurney. I watched as they loaded her in the wagon and saw the chief of police holding the umbrella over the mayors head and news crews setting up across the street. We were locked down inside the building, surrounded by police for almost 2 hours (which I will be billing the customer for). Finally they decided it wasn't Ebola and let everyone leave.
A mostly happy ending, for sure, but all in all I'm pretty nervous about the whole situation.
http://www.turnto10.com/story/26807338/nursing-home-worker-who-visited-nigeria-shows-flu-like-symptoms

The nurse in question had recently travelled to Nigeria. She walked in to work and fainted and that was enough to prompt what went down. While it is scary to be confined, involuntarily, it felt like a practice run for the responders. I'm not trying to sound like Dale Gribble, but it feels like this virus is being used as just another tool for the government. The white house is sending troops and has gotten the thumbs up to spend $1billion to fight Ebola. Its [m'kay] ridiculous. Connecticut has declared a state of emergency, granting the health commissioner power to quarantine any person or group he believes may have been in contact with the virus.
I continue to quietly stockpile ammo, drugs, food, and seeds and wait for the [poo] to hit the fan.
http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Connecticut-Governor-Declares-State-of-Emergency-Over-Ebola-as-a-Precaution-278380851.html
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Re: My first Ebola quarantine

Postby WD-40 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:36 pm

haasd0gg wrote:I continue to quietly stockpile ammo, drugs, food, and seeds and wait for the [poo] to hit the fan.

:punk:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Darth Crater » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm glad you're alright! There are going to be a lot more scares like that than there will be actual Ebola cases - there are many more common diseases you can pick up in Africa which present the same initial symptoms. And even if they have Ebola, they're not incredibly infectious until they reach the "bleeding from everywhere" stage.

I don't envy the people who have to handle the containment procedures, though. For either the task of managing the quarantine, or the task of keeping unjustified panic down...
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby imaim » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:59 am

Yikes. glad ur alright w/this false alarm.

stockpile away
imaim
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: imaim

Postby FaiL.? » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm

I live in Connecticut. Sheeeeeit.
FaiL.?
Community Member

Origin ID: Egrigious

Postby NiteRunner81 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:19 pm

HAHA -- just realized another positive to my situation. On the farm that me and the kids are living on we can stockpile stuff. We most certainly won't be PollyAnnas here.. There are plenty of guns here. My mom does a garden annually and cans. Can't wait till next year to dive in with her.
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby WD-40 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:42 pm

NiteRunner81 wrote:HAHA -- just realized another positive to my situation. On the farm that me and the kids are living on we can stockpile stuff. We most certainly won't be PollyAnnas here.. There are plenty of guns here. My mom does a garden annually and cans. Can't wait till next year to dive in with her.

That would be some invaluable skills to learn. I wish I knew more about survival off 'the land'...just in case.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Haas, if you get a chance you should read The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Zone-Terr ... 0385479565
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby Duel of Fates » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Might need more than one book if you get the extra long quarantine. :whistling:
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Return to Non-Game Discussions