Catastrophic failure on my laptop.

Re: Catastrophic failure on my laptop.

Postby THEWULFMAN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks Nite. I almost forgot that you have Fibromyalgia too, sorry about that. That is my main problem. That, combined with arthritis of a 60 year old man makes life... interesting to say the least.

I get by with my sanity intact usually thanks to my laptop and keeping my mind busy. Being on the internet so much due to my pain has had some benefits. I get to talk to a lot of people, some nice like you, some not-so-much. I've gotten a few really good friends. One of which, Marth, has entered a business partnership together with me, with the intention of starting our own company some day.

And my parents are really supportive, they bought me the laptop to begin with. We didn't have a lot of money at the time, and we have a lot less now. So getting it fixed has problems. But luckily I have Marth to help out. He's going to help me out eventually, the wait is just a nightmare (first world problem, I know).
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby Yanoda » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Wish you all the best Wulf!
I can't help much concerning the Laptop since I'm not too knowledgeable with them. Though you should also consider the cost of fixing the laptop to maybe getting a new one if the price difference isn't much of a difference.
You can also take the HDD out and use it as an external drive since it should still work. This also gives you an extra drive as backup fort he future.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby [m'kay] » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Another thing you could do is hook your desktop up to a TV, get a wireless mouse/keyboard, and then just use something solid as a mousepad for browsing the web, and use a gamepad for video games. It's not perfect, but it's better than sitting there bored. Failing that, read Ender's Game and then the Ender's Shadow series. They're pretty good, so long as you ignore the author's ridiculous sensibilities. They don't really shine through in his work so much, thank [m'kay]. Good luck.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby NiteRunner81 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 am

I think I have a wireless Mouse/Keyboard combo around here if you have a desktop. Next weekend I'll get the hubby on trying to find it so that if you want it I can send it out to you. I run a dual setup with a wired KB/Mouse and a wireless Mouse.. I need to get a new wireless KB. The combo doesn't work for my ideal since my wireless mouse doubles as a media remote.
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby THEWULFMAN » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:02 pm

That's a very nice offer Nate and I really appreciate it, I don't have a desktop worth speaking of though. I have one, but it is ancient (it's like a decade old). I only use it for hooking up my wifi since it can't handle it.

I just gave my laptop to a friend who works in tech support. See what the cost of fixing it would be. I will hopefully just have to pay for parts, that might be pricey though. Then I have Marth to help me there. I should come out of this with a better processor, maybe anyway.

Thanks for the offer. It's nice to meet people who are willing to help.

"When you can't run anymore, you crawl... and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Previous

Return to Hardware