Catastrophic failure on my laptop.

Catastrophic failure on my laptop.

Postby THEWULFMAN » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:59 pm

About 20 minutes ago, I was playing World of Tanks while I was waiting for time to go to the hospital. My screen went black(all power to it gone, not just a black screen), all audio cut out, and my HDD stopped accessing. The fan was still running and the power light was still on. I waited a minute, then held the power button down to shut it off.

I turned it back on, but it was acting the same. Then it emitted seven very loud beeps during its POST. "Could" mean it's a virtual mode exception error, meaning my CPU or motherboard took a dump. Then again not every BIOS is the same, even in the same manufacturer.

I'm not asking for a solution, just information on what might be wrong. Confirmation of my fear, if you will. I hope to god my HDD is fine. I'll live as long as that's okay. Otherwise I've lost years worth of work.

I'm on my ancient Netbook that's falling apart and barely working.

This has not been my week.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Re: Catastrophic failure on my laptop.

Postby 11_Panama_ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Bummer Wulfi. Can you take it in and get it looked at? Is it worth to fix? Either way, sorry to hear that....I'd be lost without my comp, I'm almost ashamed to admit to that. I know longer watch TV because of my comp (well, I still watch sports and documentaries). Good luck Wulfi.
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby crazyperson » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:45 pm

And this, my friend, is why I back up my hard drive fairly often.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of hellfire raining from the sky every now and then.
crazyperson
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:23 pm

I doubt your hard disk failed like that, usually normal non-SSD hard disks warn previously before crashing stating you need to replace it.
Unless of course you've been using crapware :whistling:

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby THEWULFMAN » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 am

11_Panama_ wrote:Bummer Wulfi. Can you take it in and get it looked at? Is it worth to fix? Either way, sorry to hear that....I'd be lost without my comp, I'm almost ashamed to admit to that. I know longer watch TV because of my comp (well, I still watch sports and documentaries). Good luck Wulfi.

I am lost without my proper computer, and I don't know if I'm ashamed to admit that or not.

I can take it in and get it looked at, but I really don't trust computer repair shops anymore. In theory all it needs is a new CPU and accompanying motherboard. That is still a pretty penny I don't have.

I don't watch TV anymore, with the exception of The Mentalist. My computer is my life. And now I'm stuck with this netbook that has seen better days. Ugh. Single core 1.6 GHz, and a crap GMA card. It's excruciating. First world problems, I know. But with my health, I do not get out. My computer keeps my brain occupied and prevents me from going totally insane.

It's only been like 12 days but it feels longer.

A good friend of mine has a plan though. He's going to be sending me a laptop probably, once he gets a new display for it. Then I'll probably swap HDDs.

Thanks for the wish of good luck. I like that we got past all that bullpoo and became friends(right? I'm not saying like "good friends" or anything, but yeah, I think we're friends. Loosely at least).
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Postby crazyperson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 pm

THEWULFMAN wrote:
11_Panama_ wrote:First world problems, I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3w1_E1V46M
There's nothing wrong with a bit of hellfire raining from the sky every now and then.
crazyperson
Community Member

Postby 11_Panama_ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:50 pm

We 'aight Wulfi. :mrgreen:
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Hey when my PC got destroyed by water(literally fried) i was quite in a shock till it was fixed, going from spending your days on a PC, being on school learning about PC's then going to no PC's is a big hit.
Anyhow i don't really know what to recommend you, do you really need a laptop?
The reason why i ask is because i know quite some people, including family that buy laptops so they can "take them with them" but never do.

Basically saying, if you can manage with a desktop by all means, go for a desktop.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby THEWULFMAN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 pm

@MT

Due to health issues I'm stuck in bed most of each day. Sitting is painful after only a little while. So I would "like" to use a desktop, but am forced to use a laptop. And I do take it pretty much everywhere with me, like when my mom is in the hospital (which is very often *sigh*). So I use laptops for their portability.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Postby NiteRunner81 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:48 pm

I am terribly sorry to hear of your health issues, Wulfi. I have Fibromyalgia, and it sucks.. If you need any support please let me know!!!
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Next

Return to Hardware