Overclocking

Overclocking

Postby (SWGO)Your_God » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 pm

I was thinking of overclocking my 3970x to around 4+ Ghz but I dont know if its possible so here I am asking you guys!About cooling look at my signature and tell me if that enough or I should use some Hydro series of corsair.Thanks!
My gaming rig:
-Intel i7 3970x -Extreme series-
-Nvidia Gtx 670 Double(x2)
-Corsair Vengeance O/c Ram 16gb 4x4
-MSI X79A-GD65 8D (s 2011, X79 ,DDR3)
-Corsair Professional series 1000W
-CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler
(SWGO)Your_God
Community Member

Xfire: killerofsema
Steam ID: dont have:D

Re: Overclocking

Postby [m'kay] » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:51 pm

If you're asking on this forum, then no you should absolutely under no circumstances overclock your PC. If you are absolutely determined to inevitably [m'kay] up your PC because you don't look up some trivial fact that ends up being incredibly important, then google "how to overclock my PC" and follow the advice of the least twelve year old looking site, which for some reason you haven't done. Nevertheless, this is a bad idea and you will brick your PC because every post i've ever seen you make leads me to believe that you will [m'kay] it up horribly.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby wcocaboose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 pm

If you have Turbo Boost enabled on the system the processor already dynamically overclocks itself to 4ghz when under heavy load.

Permanent overclocks can be a bear to deal with if you don't have everything set just right. With your cooling the likelihood of frying your system is minimal. At this point I'd suggest leaving your system stock until you've done a fair bit of reading, else you'll spend the next week troubleshooting blue screens or hangs.

This is a good place to start for information:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/for ... 2e9db142ec
A day does not define us; we define the day. Today only happens once. Win it!
wcocaboose
Site Admin

Postby (SWGO)Johnny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Why do you need to have an overclocked cpu in the first place?
:6438: (SWGO)Johnny :6438:
(SWGO)Johnny
Community Member

Xfire: swgojohnny

Postby Doves » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:15 pm

So he can download videos really fast before his parents get home.
Doves
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: whendovescry
Steam ID: circles308

Postby [m'kay] » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 pm

(SWGO)Johnny wrote:Why do you need to have an overclocked cpu in the first place?

When you have a system like his? If you want to stream The Witcher 2 at max at 100% quality at 60 FPS, you MIGHT need to overclock it.

I'm saying he doesn't, and if he actually had the expertise/baseline level of intelligence to build his PC, he'd know well enough to learn to overclock it himself instead of asking a Star Wars forum.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby (SWGO)Your_God » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Wow relax {m'kay}i ordered the pc with those parts,I didnt build myself but as this is tech support and I trust you guys I thought this would be a good place to ask as some of you ofcourse are better than me in pc tech i admit i am a total noob at pc building. As i want to oc this pc for video editting .Thanks as you advice i will keep the system as it is .Just rendering takes a bit of time.
My gaming rig:
(SWGO)Your_God
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm

[m'kay] wrote:
(SWGO)Johnny wrote:Why do you need to have an overclocked cpu in the first place?

When you have a system like his? If you want to stream The Witcher 2 at max at 100% quality at 60 FPS, you MIGHT need to overclock it.

I'm saying he doesn't, and if he actually had the expertise/baseline level of intelligence to build his PC, he'd know well enough to learn to overclock it himself instead of asking a Star Wars forum.

seriously, overclocking is just unnecessary. For example, I could overclock and try to get 5 gigahertz while playing flight simulator, but then that would really reduce the life of my computer, just because I wanted to play in max graphics for a few hours....

overclocking can be very complicated and since you just said you don't know much about building computers, I suggest you don't touch it. Your gaming rig is truly impressive, you don't need to overclock lol
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby NiteRunner81 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:55 pm

(SWGO)Your_God wrote:this is tech support and I trust you guys I thought this would be a good place to ask as some of you ofcourse are better than me in pc tech i admit i am a total noob at pc building. As i want to oc this pc for video editting .Thanks as you advice i will keep the system as it is .Just rendering takes a bit of time.

Just to let you know, wcocaboose overclocked and tested products for Intel. What he forgot to touch on was:

CommanderOtto wrote: that would really reduce the life of my computer, just because I wanted to play in max graphics for a few hours....

(Thank You Otto for pointing out the biggest reason not to overclock)..
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby (SWGO)Your_God » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks guys I will probably forget the over clocking and maybe Sli the gtx(will read guides don't worry :p) so I can get better fps.Thanks again !
My gaming rig:
(SWGO)Your_God
Community Member

Next