Software Recommendations

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Software Recommendations

Postby Draigun » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 am

The following listed software recommendations has been provided by EyesOnly and I. Please give Eyes most of the credit since most of these recommendations are from his list.

(Source from http://va.ucoz.net/forum/23-137-1 and taken from the thread http://draigun.ucoz.com/forum/15-8-1).

* VirtualDJ - Great DJ mixing software that has it all
* Star Wars Battlefront 2 - One of the greatest games that has been made
* 7-Zip - A much better alternative for WinRAR
* Firefox Web Browser - Firefox is not only the fastest browser, but it has extreme flexibility to it.
* Ad-Block Plus addon for Firefox - This is a MUST need when you use Firefox. I think the title of it is self-explanatory.
* Thunderbird Email client - This is no doubt the best program for handling all your email needs. It gets it done fast with comprehensive performance
* HxD - Lightweight hex editor and it creates back-ups every time you save modified RAM
* Free Download Manager - A free download manager that features download acceleration (Also supports .torrent files)
* Adobe Photoshop CS5 Portable - This one is provided by me. It is basically GIMP, except faster and much lighter in weight
* Pidgin - If you have Ubuntu, then this is essential to instant messaging (Supports most IMs - even xfire!)
* Camtasia Studio 7 - This is ok at recording your screen. It has the ability to render your movies in HD (720p - 1080p)
* PlayFLV - This is a plugin for WMP that allows you to play .flv files on the player. This is useful since Windows users need to install a different software for just .FLV; however, Linux users can easily handle .flv...
* Notepad++ - This is wayyyy better than Notepad; it's performance is better and it's ability to read 1MB or over is faster than Notepad's. Also useful for editing some stuff
* Foxit Reader - This program is 92% lighter than Adobe Reader, yet it still reads .pdf with ease.
* Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS - If you hate anti-virus programs that slow your computer down, or little nuisances inside Windows, or just want to try something new, download and run Ubuntu. There is a lot to say about Ubuntu so I can't say everything in this thread. However, Ubuntu not only boots up faster, it is literally immune to "the wild" malware. When I quote "the wild malware, I mean 97% of the malware out there. It's true.

I will be adding more when I see it fits into this...

Click on the name to download it.
Last edited by Draigun on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Re: Software Recommendations

Postby KOko » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:12 pm

I didn't know SWGO allow links to warez software...
Retired member of SWGO 2006~2011.
KOko
Community Member

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 pm

I'll third 7-zip, Notepad++, and Foxit Reader. I use Chrome instead of Firefox, but that's just personal preference.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby SWINE FLU » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:21 pm

I find Google Chrome better than Firefox.

[09:24] -SR-Mandalore: we should just marry each other

X-Fire: swineflu13
Steam ID: iamswineflu
Origin ID: The_Spaniard

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: swineflu13
Steam ID: iamswineflu

Postby =Ralon= » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Same. I'm going to try Foxit now.
=Ralon=
Community Member

Xfire: ralondestroyer

Postby WD-40 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Kaspersky is very good.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby haasd0gg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

KOko wrote:I didn't know SWGO allow links to warez software...

Right you are.
Link to official authorized sites only please.
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby Draigun » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 am

It was a URL shortener... I understand about the ISOhunt one, but the u.to ones? They all link to harmless sites. However, I do understand that having something such as tinyURL of some sort, you never know. But seriously guys... I will never link to sites that give you all sorts of [poo].

I had to plugin the URLs manually EVEN THOUGH they all linked to harmless sites except the ISOhunt one (actually, it technically is harmless, however since there might be some on that page that are filled with malware, I guess it is classified as "warez").
Draigun
Community Member

Postby KOko » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:53 am

Under what kind of license do you distribute Adobe Photoshop CS5 Portable on your site?
Retired member of SWGO 2006~2011.
KOko
Community Member

Postby Draigun » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:31 pm

A CC license.

Draigun's Website by Draigun, DJ Draigun is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at draigun.ucoz.com.
Draigun
Community Member

Next

Return to Software