Software Recommendations

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: Software Recommendations

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 pm

well i have a small thing to say about the anti-virus i dint like kapesrsky i once saw gow a man having kapesesky removed it and put on my personal favorute NORTON antivirus/360
and if found more than 1000trojan horses spaw maills etc.. and some say NORTON is too save cos most peaple cant open google whith it well all i have too say is
why whould peaple that put in work and effort into makig a program that is suposed to be very good for free?
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Darth Crater » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:39 pm

The problem with Norton (at least the older versions, haven't used it in ages) was that it consumed massive amounts of system resources. Removing it from an old family PC cut a minute (a big deal in software) off the startup time...
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby Draigun » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:19 am

I've decided to remove anti-virus from the list.

I wouldn't recommend using an anti-virus because even Kaspersky, was taking somewhat of a huge toll on my performance. In fact when I uninstalled it, my computer ran better by at least half.

Frankly, why would you need an anti-virus anyway? Just know what you download and what sites you go to. Don't be dumb and download [poo] that you really, have no idea what it does. If you want to browse the web without worries of malware, install and run Ubuntu Linux. Seriously, Ubuntu is immune to malware. Although it might be difficult for people who are used to the Windows environment. But seriously, if you know what you download, and be intelligent about it, you really don't need an anti-virus. Hell, I don't even have Windows firewall enabled. Linux has a firewall but it's all closed.

Read here for more information.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Postby Darth Crater » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:28 am

The above advice MIGHT make sense if everyone in the community was tech-savvy, and nobody was using a shared computer. Even then, I doubt it.

(Ubuntu and/or other Unix-based systems are good, true, but hardly IMMUNE to viruses - especially if you strip off all protection...)
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby Draigun » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:02 am

Darth Crater wrote:...

The above advice MIGHT make sense if everyone in the community was tech-savvy, and nobody was using a shared computer. Even then, I doubt it.

(Ubuntu and/or other Unix-based systems are good, true, but hardly IMMUNE to viruses - especially if you strip off all protection...)

Why would you strip off all protection? Unix systems are not 100% immune, but they are to the point where most viruses, cannot infect your computer; thus rendering "the wild" malware, useless.

Yeah. Ubuntu is definitely a tech-savvy OS.
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:54 pm

ypur right antiviruses like norton use an high amount of the computer thats why i started to build my own computer if you got a gamers computer its not so much of a problem i got a small gamer computer specs are
intel quad-core q8200 2.33GHZ
Nvidea 250GTS 1GB grafic card
4GB corsair 800MHZ ram
Windows 7 ultimate
and an ASUS motherboard
well this is the important
stuff for me and i cant feel an antivirus on it
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Previous