restart software after every game / lose connectons

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: restart software after every game / lose connectons

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Couple of things. RAM reduces when you are using multiple applications, having just SWBF2 open should not consume that much RAM.

Systems with faster RAM, good graphics cards and a decent motherboard should be more than able to handle SWBF2 given it is an aging game.

Lag is a key issue, ISP, Firewalls, AV software and any background processes from other applications can factor in. Be careful in ending processes as they could cause your system to become unstable. Use an application like process explorer to take a look at what is running before you leap into anything and do any in haste.

Regards,

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby WD-40 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Kren-
with all due respect, I have abolutely No IDEA what bocca uses his computer for, whether it's surfing the entire worldwide web or just (and I seriously doubt) just BF2 as you suggested. Therefore, I made the assumption that bocca was surfing the 'entire galaxy' of cyberspace and was hammering the crap outta his RAM. Just to be safe, I suggested restart, unless you (bocca) are a weird die-hard gaming freak that doesn't care about web surfing....but that wasn't the impression I got from you! :lol:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:35 pm

:lol: :lol: WD-40...no as I work in IT I kinda analyse performance of high end servers with a variety of monitoring tools so I kinda adopt the same techniques at home, kinda rubs off that way. Run applications in the background for sure you'll notice a differnce however I can't see much point in doing that unless you want to impact on your PC especially at the lower end computers. I am at the back end of copper connection about 1.5 miles away from the local telephone exchange which gives me a first hand experience of lag plus the fact that I am crossing the Atlantic to get to the server in the US to play against u guys.
Last edited by (SWGO)Kren on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Brazosgrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Well, to be fair, I've had my own memory leak problems. I am well aware of (for whatever reason) MY computer has an honest to goodness memory leak in the video drivers that I have read about online being duplicated numerous places. It has something to do with the Win 7 64 bit Open GL video drivers not being totally kosher. But I'm not that technically inclined so its all Greek to me. I regularly have to stop and restart my game, but it doesn't impact the other operations of the computer. I sympathize with you.
Brazosgrad incognito
Brazosgrad
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:06 pm

(SWGO)Kren wrote: I am at the back end of copper connection about 1.5 miles away from the local telephone exchange which gives me a first hand experience of lag plus the fact that I am crossing the Atlantic to get to the server in the US to play against u guys.

welcome 2 my world :lol: :lol: :lol: :punk: :punk: :punk:
i workl whith a dial-up network that normally gives me 100ms ping and crossing the atlantic makes it 250-300ms....
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby WD-40 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:06 am

Well, all I'm saying is that I have optic cable service with a good processor and graphics driver. I kill uneeded programs from running in background, yet on occasion, I get the same thing that bocca has happen, especially when the computer has been left on for days at a time. My girls surf the net alot on that particular computer the game is loaded on, so I truly have noticed a speedy game reload without screen freeze whenever I restart my computer, which clears my ram. Most of the time, I'm one of the first to jump into the next round...just sayin.

Also, there's a free download called 'Game Booster' (I'm away, so I think I got that name right) that shuts off unneeded background programs while gaming. I use it, and it really helps and works great. I also use Kazpersky Virus scan, which doesn't interfere with the gaming.

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk Kren. I want to get back home, and this trip I'm on for my work keeps getting extended.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Understood WD-40, if stopping processes via Game Booster etc works and gives you a better in-game experience then that's a win-win for you. You didn't sound like a Jerk I suppose living in a hotel room ain't much fun, just think of home dorothy and a few clicks of the ruby red slippers will get u back :lol:

Regards,

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Bocca » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 pm

after all that brain power you guys put into solving my issue...seems to have stopped once i got away from that hotel!! :whistling:

(SWGO)Kren wrote:if stopping processes via Game Booster etc works

what is this app? this "Game Booster" you speak of? any negs to it?
Did anyone see which way that guy went?
Bocca
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: boccaxfire

Postby WD-40 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:41 am

bocca wrote:after all that brain power you guys put into solving my issue...seems to have stopped once i got away from that hotel!! :whistling:

(SWGO)Kren wrote:if stopping processes via Game Booster etc works

what is this app? this "Game Booster" you speak of? any negs to it?

Yes, its a free download that works really well. Doesn't screw up your computer either. Here's the link. Decide if you want it.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Previous

Return to Software