Eyes Only's Master List of Good FREE Software

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Eyes Only's Master List of Good FREE Software

Postby Eyes Only » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 pm

A list of free software that I use - crapware list coming soon or when i'm bored enough.

Internet Browsers:

Firefox

Firefox is a great web browser that's highly extensible. Firefox 4 has Hardware 3D acceleration. Do use the Adblock Plus plugin :D

elinks

This is a text mode web browser with mouse support. Great for terminal sessions (ssh, etc)

Chrome

Chrome is Google's baby. It's what everyone is currently switching to (in the same manner as safari when it was released for windows).

Chameleon

Chameleon is an excellent browser based on firefox's code. It is minimalistic with a very light footprint and is the best graphical browser to use on older hardware.

TOR clients/Download Managers:

μTorrent

This is a feature rich torrent client that is also very lightweight (the installed package is ~780kb)

FDM's TOR plugin

FreeDownloadManager is just what it says - its a free download manager that works with a lot of popular browsers. It downloads the file you want among simultaneous connections instead of just one.

jDownloader

jDownloader is a download manager written in java. It automatically handles file sharing protocols and automatically checks lists of links for their status when you copy them

PDF:

Foxit PDF Reader

A very nice PDF viewer thats fast, lightweight, and has an integrated browser plugin. My DeFacto PDF viewer.

More when im not lazy - if you have a request for an alternative to what youre currently using and its not on the list, post a reply.
Eyes Only
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: masterqueue
Steam ID: feintmass

Re: Eyes Only's Master List of Good FREE Software

Postby WGO-Jango » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 am

I can vouch for both Firefox and μTorrent. I've been using Firefox for a good five years and its by far my favorite browser with how customizable you can make it. μTorrent has only been on my computer for a few months now but I've never had a problem with it yet. The download speed for most of my torrents are extremely fast as long as there are enough seeders for it.
WGO-Jango

Postby [m'kay] » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:41 am

I've used Azureus/Vuze for a few years now, and though it isn't exactly amazing, it's pretty damn dependable.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 am

Jango<9thAC-Gen> wrote:I can vouch for both Firefox and μTorrent. I've been using Firefox for a good five years and its by far my favorite browser with how customizable you can make it. μTorrent has only been on my computer for a few months now but I've never had a problem with it yet. The download speed for most of my torrents are extremely fast as long as there are enough seeders for it.

+1
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby grrrrrrrrrr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:28 am

(SWGO)MinasThirith wrote:
Jango<9thAC-Gen> wrote:I can vouch for both Firefox and μTorrent. I've been using Firefox for a good five years and its by far my favorite browser with how customizable you can make it. μTorrent has only been on my computer for a few months now but I've never had a problem with it yet. The download speed for most of my torrents are extremely fast as long as there are enough seeders for it.

+1

OMG would you stop saying "+1" on every post you make? It does and means nothing except showing you know how to use addition. If you want to show that you agree with the replier, then say it, instead of "+1"...
grrrrrrrrrr
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:56 am

im too lazy to do that. :lol:
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby [m'kay] » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 am

(SWGO)MinasThirith wrote:im too lazy to do that. :lol:

+1
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby Dad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:00 pm

I don't have much use for some of these (and don't really know what some of them are), but...

I've been looking for a free reliable download of Archon and Archon 2:Adept. Those were great games and I am sorely in need of every distraction available.

If it's possible to find them, I know you can.
i weep for the future

later
Dad
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: dadkills

Postby ӺȁȿŧƔ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Rar Frog for opening up .rar files. This is for if you don't want that crappy Winrar.
http://download.cnet.com/Free-RAR-Extra ... 04840.html

Gimp for image editing. Much much better than Paint but not quite as good as Photoshop. Photoshop costs and takes a lot more memory while gimp is free and simpler.
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

And this one inst software, but I'm trying to promote it. The most simple picture sharing site I've ever seen. Create an easy profile and drag and drop your images right on the browser. Share images on forums much quicker and more efficiently.
http://min.us/
ӺȁȿŧƔ
Community Member

Xfire: Fasty002

Return to Software