2 Questions

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: 2 Questions

Postby FaiL.? » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 am

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Anything that's "free" on the internet i don't trust.
Norton all the way

Mt

Yes, I use Norton, it's alright, but there are rumors that Norton pays ppl on the side to infect computers so that they an fix them.
FaiL.?
Community Member

Origin ID: Egrigious

Postby THEWULFMAN » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:27 am

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Anything that's "free" on the internet i don't trust.
Norton all the way

Mt

Microsoft Security Essentials is free for people who have a legal copy of Windows. Why? Because it's made by, get this, Microsoft. Shocker I know. Not everything that is free sucks. Speaking of other free stuff that doesn't suck, Spybot - Search & Destroy©®. A widely trusted name, it's not [poo]. It's not like we're suggesting Joe and Ted's Anti-Virus Software made by two guys in their basement.

Norton on the other hand, is crap. My Co-Executive Developer/Best Friend Marth had Norton. Had. It allowed a virus into his computer while it sat on its fat ass doing nothing but using more memory than an AV should have to.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby Yanoda » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am

I would like to add that I had Norton for 5 years now had had no problems what so ever.
Never got a Virus problem on my PC since then.
Had one Virus though that was not picked up by AVG and another AV program, but Norton caught it and quarantined it. I would also like to mention that I knew the virus was present and purposefully installed it to check what AV program would get it. Norton won that round.
It also uses few resources and does not hamper my PC in anyway.
I've had good experience with Norton thus far and will continue to support them. Though MSE sounds promising and I will check it out later.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby 11_Panama_ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks guys, I guess I'll try them all. There's still one question that hasn't been answered. I got Spy bot, but it doesn't catch malware in real time...I use it to scan files...am I using it wrong? Is it able to stop malware in real time?
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby [m'kay] » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:23 pm

11_Panama_ wrote:Thanks guys, I guess I'll try them all. There's still one question that hasn't been answered. I got Spy bot, but it doesn't catch malware in real time...I use it to scan files...am I using it wrong? Is it able to stop malware in real time?

No, but it can catch a lot of [poo] that other less specialized suites won't. And you don't want to wait until your browser's been hijacked before you go and try looking for that [poo], yaw dig?
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby haasd0gg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Tea timer works with your browser though. It's not high powered but it works
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby THEWULFMAN » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm

haasd0gg wrote:Tea timer works with your browser though. It's not high powered but it works

Yeah. One of best bits about Spybot - Search & Destroy is Tea Timer and it's real time protection. I've had it prevent malware from jacking up my registry at least once.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby 11_Panama_ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Yeah, I used Tea timer before, but I was under the immpresion that it's main function is to ask for your permission before programs are installed. Will that recognize malware before it hijacks a file?
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby haasd0gg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:17 pm

It stops stuff from making changes to your browser at least.
I'd like to hear from the tech support moderator on this :whistling:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:56 am

~Hadrian wrote:Yes, I use Norton, it's alright, but there are rumors that Norton pays ppl on the side to infect computers so that they an fix them.

Those rumors are around, they i won't say anything on that subject i do say that:
I've RARELY had a virus on my computer, sure once in a while i would download something from a site i didn't know and expect something to be in it,(many trojans)
However i'm more worried about hackers, crackers or scriptkiddies Norton would have little to do with those since they benifit themselfs by breaking in and taking what they can....

If my files are gone, or my HD is broken due to a virus infection, i won't lose any sleep over it(most of what i do is gaming and since it's online and i wouldn't lose anything)
However, if anyone was able to find out my gaming passwords, or my bank card numbers(via steam for example) then i'd be screwed......

Norton has protected me for, 2-3 years now, never have i been sucsesfully hacked, though there were attempts.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

PreviousNext

Return to Software