Tips Thread

Tips Thread

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Having played this game for just over a month now, I've come up with some tips that really help me, so I thought I would share one and see what you guys have come up with.

One I recently found: Ion shot is massively useful in Walker assault for both Reps and Imperials.

Need to shoot the walker?: ion shot.

Enemy put up a squad shield?: ion shot. A few bursts and it's down.

Enemy popped a personal shield to try and activate/deactivate an uplink?: ion shot, a few bursts and it's down, a few more and he's dead. I've been trying to find a good shield counter for awhile now (cycler rifle requires careful aim, impact grenades are even harder to use, homing shot takes way too long to lock on and fire, etc).

Turret farming your guys for kills (particularly on hoth)?: ion shot. A few bursts and it's done.

I now carry ion shot in one of my hands for all Walker assault matches. I'm considering carrying it for Drop Zone too.

Another tip is to forget about Ion Torpedo for anything except anti-AT-ST use or possible anti-X-Wing use. Ion shot does a much better job against pretty much everything you would want to use the torpedo against.

For the walker, use the pulse cannon instead and aim for the weakspot, you will actually do more damage than the torpedo will usually do (since it can't hit the weak point). Typically you can get +45 instead of +30.
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Re: Tips Thread

Postby Corpse » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:56 pm

Yeah man ion shot is so good against turrets. Screw those guys on Sullust.

It's also useful in HvV. If Leia pops a shield, take it down with ion shot and leave her in the open.

I do prefer the ion grenade for taking down shields though. Ion shot reduces weapon damage, making it harder to land the kill. Ion grenades detonate on contact with personal shields and do 62 damage to the enemy as well.

Furthermore, post-January patch, ion grenades have a lower cooldown than ion torpedoes. And they do more damage. It's pretty rewarding to equip the scout trait, and sneak up underneath/alongside an AT-AT and repeatedly throw ion grenades at the weak spot. Does 70 points of damage each time.

Most important tip: If you get an AT-ST, use it as anti-air. Rebels' ships are super overpowered compared to the Empire's. The AT-ST's missiles lock on, cooldown quickly and their main gun does a tonne of damage. Don't let your team get destroyed by some guy sitting in an A-wing divebombing the ground.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby WD-40 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:47 pm

My center card is Ion Shot. Pretty much any weapon from the EE-3 gun thru T-21B with Ion Card is deadly against what you mentioned. While the card is active, along with taking out a turret, I will wipe out as many adjacent turrets as I can while the card is active (Denial of Use tactic) so the enemy cannot pop in those. It is great against the droids as well, and if you lead the shot properly, a T21 or T-21B with Ion Shot card will do significant damage against fighters or even finish them off if they already have damage. Bad thing is, every shot fired is a tracer round, so the fighters are looking for that to zero in, so wait for the best opportunity. If you throw an 'Ion Grenade' at a low flying fighter at just the right time and place, it will destroy the fighter.

I've played the Pulse Rifle for a few days now, and I like it. Gotta lead the shot a little for moving targets and if you get a red center reticule lock illuminated with it fully charged, the target is gonna be dead (and flying backwards on impact). I believe the Cycler Rifle is effective against any shielded person as it is a solid projectile (like the Homing shot), however it has drift down, and I've not tried it.

The 'Ion Torpedo' is good against the AT-ST to knock off 40% life with each hit in the front, and a bit more if you hit it in the side or the back (weakest spot). If the AT-ST is down to 30% or less, if you hit it with the torpedo, it is destroyed. It will destroy any droid in one shot. It only does about 3-4% damage on an AT-AT, so kinda a waste there (better to hunt the enemy who are looking for tracers firing at the AT-AT's) unless the AT is down to less than 10% and you're at the last stage of the map, but....one Ion Torpedo does more damage than dozens of regular heavy weapon shots against an AT-AT or ST.

Finally, if you shoot the AT-AT, aim for the cylinder that runs along the bottom (fore and aft) as that is it's weakest spot. Obviously, the Ion powered weapons do the most damage.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:30 am

Also, with the cycler rifle and the pulse cannon, stabilize your aim for a split second before firing, otherwise it tends to miss (if you are strafing, it generally misses).

The DL-44 seems to be similar.
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Return to Star Wars Battlefront III