In Depth review of this game?

In Depth review of this game?

Postby SWINE FLU » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 am

I'm interested in buying this this game; but I want to make sure my money will be worth it. Anyone want to give me an in-depth review please?

[09:24] -SR-Mandalore: we should just marry each other

X-Fire: swineflu13
Steam ID: iamswineflu
Origin ID: The_Spaniard

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: swineflu13

Re: In Depth review of this game?

Postby KOko » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Well, it's not just buying the game, it's also paying monthly fee for access... so you better check twice before you jump in.

I used to be in the beta weekends and my first impressions were quite good, but with some issues too.
Main issue - the cooldown shared by all skills. Comming from LOTRO that have very different approach this was major let-down.
Second - the classes "advancement", or the actual absense of such... As far as I did go, I didn't feel anything special while advancing to new level. Also - the dark and light classes are just the same. Copy-Paste the red ones in the blue area... While it solves tons of possible PvP balance issues, it's borring like hell.

The strongest part - the story! It's immersive, huge, KOTOR in it's heart. But on some forums I have read that the story and the quests are far less once you cross the lvl20 and the future leveling is a pain.
I also liked very much what they did with the "pets", a.k.a. companions (who don't want a sexy twi'lek walking nearby :whistling: )

One very important part of every MMO you must consider - the community. On the beta weekends this didint impress me at all. Foul language, immaturity, profanity... things I am not used to in LOTRO...

At a glance - it looks great out of the box - fun and huge. But will this appeal last enoughfor the money you will put in? I'm not convinced.
Retired member of SWGO 2006~2011.
KOko
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:16 pm

SWINE FLU wrote:I'm interested in buying this this game; but I want to make sure my money will be worth it. Anyone want to give me an in-depth review please?

It's an MMO not a FPS so if you take that into consideration then thats a good start.

There are monthly fees there, scheduled maintenance, development, expansion, a huge amount of shards, a massive amount of players online whom you can undertake quests with and add as friends.

There are various skills relating to the different classes and the abilities to improve these through levelling-up, combat with enemies, training and development of abilities per character etc. Plenty of force powers for both light and dark side, crafting, companions that go on missions to obtain objects for your character development.

The planets are huge and equally so are the sectors on each planet. When you reach a certain level you have a companion to assist you which can be switched-off and back-on, ships, customisation of these. There is trading, weapons development and also PVP warzone battles which contribute to increasing your health points. There are group quests, flashpoints etc. I have just got my own starship and am currently travelling to differnet planets to improve my character and expand the story. I will then be travelling back to the republic fleet/space station after this planet.

Lag-wise not really had much at all.

In terms of if there is a fan-base and interest in the game across the globe then have a look at the link below:

http://www.gamerdads.co.uk/News/StaffNe ... story.aspx

The game is what you make it and considering SWBF2 has been played by a lot of people day-in-day-out using the same characters then if you did not get bored with the characters in this game then I doubt you will be bored with SWTOR.

You pay for the game, you pay whatever plan you like, be that monthly or whatever. If after you have spent a month or more and don't like it then what have you lost, much in the same way as if you buy any other game however the patches will be included in the cost. Expansion-wise it has been on the grape-vine that there is going to be a multiplayer space combat element which will add another element to the game.

In terms of players being civil I think I have seen one player swear from starting the game before the official release to the present day. Obviously there could be servers where you have players acting stupid but if you can cope with and all the crap that some players dish-out in SWBF2 and other online games then I'm sure you will be able to cope. Some people might be sensitive to other players but if you are getting hassled then there is a way to report them so I would not worry that much.

Anyway I am at level 19 with a Jedi Consular:

http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com ... -consular/
http://torguild.net/calculator/jedi-consular/shadow/

See what you think.

Regards,

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby SWINE FLU » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for the points, guys. I'm an frequent player of LOTRO at the moment; and LOTRO has great PvP/PvE levels. What do you think about the PvP/PvE in SWTOR?

[09:24] -SR-Mandalore: we should just marry each other

X-Fire: swineflu13
Origin ID: The_Spaniard

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: swineflu13

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:06 pm

From what I have experienced it is pretty good but it won't appeal to everyone as there is aspects of most games people like/dislike.
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Return to SWTOR (The Old Republic)