SWTOR Free to Play Preview

Re: SWTOR Free to Play Preview

Postby [m'kay] » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:17 pm

SWINE FLU wrote:
CommanderOtto wrote: just killing enemies like in swtor.

You do lots more than that in SWTOR. PvP Warzones, PvE Flashpoints, PvE Operations, a great crafting system, space combat (not great, but it's there), get to know and romance companions, enjoy social gatherings on your server and so on.

And that is the biggest amount of pictures and videos I've ever seen in a post, well done Otto! :appl:

Three of those things are literally killing enemies, the crafting system is just like every other MMO on the market, space combat was pretty fun, i'm not too interested in banging polygons, and frankly the last one is so standard in any MMO I didn't think anyone could include it. That's as much of a reason to get the game as "this FPS has shooting mans that you blam blam with your guns!"
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby SWINE FLU » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:33 pm

[m'kay] wrote:
SWINE FLU wrote:
CommanderOtto wrote: just killing enemies like in swtor.

You do lots more than that in SWTOR. PvP Warzones, PvE Flashpoints, PvE Operations, a great crafting system, space combat (not great, but it's there), get to know and romance companions, enjoy social gatherings on your server and so on.

And that is the biggest amount of pictures and videos I've ever seen in a post, well done Otto! :appl:

Three of those things are literally killing enemies, the crafting system is just like every other MMO on the market, space combat was pretty fun, i'm not too interested in banging polygons, and frankly the last one is so standard in any MMO I didn't think anyone could include it. That's as much of a reason to get the game as "this FPS has shooting mans that you blam blam with your guns!"

Granted. After playing about 100 hours of GW2, I resubbed to SWTOR after posting that to see if I was right in what I was saying, and to be honest SWTOR is pretty bad compared to GW2 or LotRO. I don't understand why I held it in such a high opinion, and why I was blind to the problems it has over other MMOs... Unsubbed from SWTOR again, and will be watching the future expansions to see if things get better for SWTOR.

[09:24] -SR-Mandalore: we should just marry each other

X-Fire: swineflu13
Steam ID: iamswineflu
Origin ID: The_Spaniard

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: swineflu13

Postby [m'kay] » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 pm

To be honest, I can't see TOR doing incredibly well after this - the influx of a bunch of ten year olds jumping onto it with their parent's credit cards will provide a pretty decent revenue boost, but i'm not sure if they're ever going to make enough of a profit to justify the exorbitant cost of production. It was pretty fun while it lasted though. I played a Smuggler, and fighting around trying to get my ship back was really fun... But then I got it, and there was just some "ooooh hidden pirate bounty" and from the moment I saw that I knew it was just going to be like 100,000 credits that I couldn't use for anything. If they'd just given me some crap ship to use and kept the focus on trying to get my real ship back, I honestly would've been in it for the long haul.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby NiteRunner81 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Swine - we need to talk buddy!!! Have you been testing this F2P [poo]? I have... and it is

BANANAS!!!!

and unfortunately I dunno if there is an NDA for it or not, so I'm not gonna lip myself out yet... especially since during the server merge some other jackasshole had my legacy name so I had to change it so I said [m'kay] it all -- Nite'Runner legacy!!!!!
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 pm

I never played SWTOR, and i most likely won't.
I heared terrible feedback from many players and friends that the game doesn't live up to MMO standards of today.

BTW Narg, if your all about the little things you could try LOTRO some time.
You can get a house, and literally decorate it with thophies collected from enemies, alongside mounted combat, and epic PVE the game is fun again for me.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:29 am

lol I just wanted all of you mortals to see how great star wars galaxies was. XD

but, as I said, I do like TOR. However, some changes need to be done quick. They need to give the player more freedom to do whatever he wants. For example, in TOR, once you have done the quests in one planet you practically have no reason to be there anymore. Once you have been to alderaan and done quests there, there is really no reason for you to go back. We need a "sandbox type of game" just like swg. TOR did well in many things but they need to add freedom! :wacko:
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Hobo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:01 am

Hmm... My story is pretty much the same as [m'kay], my main being a gunslinger. And Nok Drayan or whatever ONLY GIVES YOU 100K??? That's it???!!! I already had half that when I was in my 20s... (partial thanks to Swine :whistling: ) Though I never made it to 50, I thought it was pretty fun if there were people around you. And I got pretty good at Hutt-ball, lol. But my interest has kind of faded from tor, I feel like the story isn't going to get much more exciting, and the feeling of doing a ton of quests when you're by yourself can be kind of depressing...
Hobo
Community Member

Steam ID: a_hobo_

Postby Bailey » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 am

I played when it first came out and then quit because I felt like the game was deserted and I never played with anybody. Nowadays though I am playing again, and due to the consolidated servers and improved group finder options it looks and feels much much more populated. No more empty planets and nobody to do group quests with.
Bailey
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: Bailey1020

Postby SWINE FLU » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 am

[m'kay] wrote:To be honest, I can't see TOR doing incredibly well after this - the influx of a bunch of ten year olds jumping onto it with their parent's credit cards will provide a pretty decent revenue boost, but i'm not sure if they're ever going to make enough of a profit to justify the exorbitant cost of production. It was pretty fun while it lasted though. I played a Smuggler, and fighting around trying to get my ship back was really fun... But then I got it, and there was just some "ooooh hidden pirate bounty" and from the moment I saw that I knew it was just going to be like 100,000 credits that I couldn't use for anything. If they'd just given me some crap ship to use and kept the focus on trying to get my real ship back, I honestly would've been in it for the long haul.

Yeah, I can also see many of the current subscribers unsubbing because of said 10 year olds. The Smuggler and Imperial Agent were my favourite classes story-wise. I just loved kicking people in the nuts on my Smuggler! :lol:

NiteRunner81 wrote:Swine - we need to talk buddy!!! Have you been testing this F2P [poo]? I have... and it is

BANANAS!!!!

I was going to try the F2P on the PTS, but then I saw it was another 11GBs, so I never got round to it. Hopefully I can catch you in the mornings... I have a week off. :mrgreen:

All,
I really recommend playing Guild Wars 2 for a new and enjoyable MMO. It's just a one time purchase with no monthly fee.

[09:24] -SR-Mandalore: we should just marry each other

X-Fire: swineflu13
Origin ID: The_Spaniard

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: swineflu13

Postby CommanderOtto » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:34 am

Bailey wrote:I played when it first came out and then quit because I felt like the game was deserted and I never played with anybody. Nowadays though I am playing again, and due to the consolidated servers and improved group finder options it looks and feels much much more populated. No more empty planets and nobody to do group quests with.

lol my brother felt the same for a long time. He would have to wait for hours to get enough people for certain group missions in practically empty planets. Then, you should have seen his face filled with joy when he was trasnfered. The chat in the new server was like:

player 1. omg look at all these new people!!
player 2. rofl yeah!!
player 3. guys, this is incredible there are so many people!! In my old server, if I went to hoth there were only 2 people!!
player 2. lmao wow that was depressing
player1: omfg really? we usually have like 50 peeps in normal hours at hoth... at hoth!
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

PreviousNext

Return to SWTOR (The Old Republic)