how it all started 0____0

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: how it all started 0____0

Postby Flyswamper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:26 am

(Rogue).ltc.dan wrote:to matt yes i have fast computer (laptop) i just recently got it around January so it should be fast :punk:

Dan,

I recommend that you download the Server Manager (SM) and Remote Manager software that Matt gave you links for. Then you can tinker with it and setup your own homemade server on your home computer.

Assuming your computer is behind a router at your home/school/whereever-you-live, you will need to understand port forwarding to make sure incoming traffic to your game server is routed to the correct computer in your house. This isn't that hard to do, but it does require an understanding of how port forwarding works and basic IP/router stuff.

It's good that you have a fast computer, but in all honesty I don't believe that SWBFII server actually has that high of a CPU or computer requirements from the dedicated server side of things. What will be important is your internet connection. And in this case, it likely won't be good enough just to have good download speeds that most ISP's advertise. If you want a 32+ man populated server, your ISP will need to handle (without lagging everybody) both the inbound and outbound IP traffic that is required to make the game run smoothly for everybody playing in the server.

It will depend on your ISP, perhaps the time of day, and definitely how many players are connected to your server as to how much lag will be involved. If you are lucky (have an excellent broadband connection in BOTH directions and your ISP doesn't throttle traffic on you), you might be able to host a decent server that a fair number of people can login and play on.

When/IF you want to step up to true 24/7 dedicated server that has a very high uptime rating and has a very fast connection (up and down) to the internet, then you will find yourself renting a server from a data center. This is what SWGO (and many other gaming clans) does. You can go look at places like Wolfservers.com, PrimaryTarget.com, Myinternetservices.com, etc..... as these guys are in business to host games for you. They essentially do what you would have done by downloading SM/RM and configuring it. They just run it on a much better connection to the internet than you are likely to have. And they have a lots of experience to help you out when problems arise.

So.... suggest you give your own server a try....if for no other reason than the learning process. Once you "play with it" for a little while I expect you'll figure out that it makes a lot more sense to join forces with others of similar/like mind and pool your resources to run a truly great server (or two). Which is essentially what you have with the SWGO guys...
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics stink!
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Matt-Chicago » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:59 am

To Flyswamper you listen.

Here's the speed of our old box for comparison:

Oh, and your name reminded me of this:
lt_dan.jpg
lt_dan.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby WD-40 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 am

Matt-Chicago wrote:To Flyswamper you listen.

Yeah man, don't listen to me...I'm just the 'Devil's Advocate'..but good luck anyway. I'm sure you'll have fun and learn good stuff with the experience. :punk:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby (Rogue).ltc.dan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:56 pm

well good idea wd-40 we will talk later if i can get my stupid game to work right now it won't let me log in to game spy or play online i can only create dang servers 0-o and a question to matt-chicago i downloaded all the stuff no i am having a little problem....how to i use the mr/ms file thing the manager thing for servers?? im in a real predicament here gahhh!! if my neighbor was my dad i wouldn't have to be afraid to ask him all of this stuff but sadly he goes to work :angry: eh guess not all of us can be 11 and be really good at getting rid of viruses or creating crap :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/rogueltc/[/url]
(Rogue).ltc.dan
Community Member

Xfire: rogue2345
Steam ID: ltc.dan

Postby Flyswamper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Dan,

Your request for help is rather vague. I seriously doubt that Matt, or many others, have time to try and explain the workings of all of it to you. If you have a specific question, you can probably get help. But..... if you simply need help getting started, I suggest you start with the documentation/manuals that come with Server Manager and Remote Manager. Yes, they are rather long. However, that fact just points out that there is lots of good information in there for individuals willing to invest the time/energy to help themselves.

I.e. read, read, read some more. Test some things with the software and when you get stuck read some more.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics stink!
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Duel of Fates » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:12 am

Me no like to read, me like to play. :grrr:
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Previous

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II