GameSpy Sever Shut Down.

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: GameSpy Sever Shut Down.

Postby ProfessorDreadNaught » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Draigun wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:Since Eyes is the one working on this patch I assume it will remove the Darky glitch?

The darky glitch is part of a bug located in the server executable, not the client; the client is probably the only file that will be deployed to end users when it's ready. It really is a bug, but at the same time, there are many who would prefer that it be left unpatched. Therefore, within the various mechanisms from the replicated master server that we are building from the ground up, we could possibly make it so only servers with strict patched standards are displayed, but this is still undecided.

My opinion on the matter is that there should be some servers with DTG removed, but some with it still in gameplay. The last thing we want to do is further strip the population base; at least this is my perspective.

I agree with what you say, but can't you put the glitch back into a server using userscripts? Starting with 1.3 userscripts on servers is supposed to be the preferred method of modding is it not?

I guess what i'm saying is remove the glitch in the patched executable and allow server operators the option of applying the feature back in.

To that end Gamerz will be releasing server side userscripts for modded effects to the SWBFII community including FFA, no-gunner, indestructible health droids, time-limited Hero Assault, etc. These scripts will be stackable to allow server customization on an unprecedented scale. We appreciate the efforts of all the modding community for all the work done in the past and the present to make this game so long-lived and special.
“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.”
“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.”
"Freedom (n.): To ask nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing."
ProfessorDreadNaught
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Assuming this is successful (I have faith in Eyes Only), will we advertise the patch on all SWGO Servers? That would get the word out.
Love and Pepsi are the two most important things in life.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Xfire: sirpepsi

Postby Eyes Only » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 am

ProfessorDreadNaught wrote:
Draigun wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:Since Eyes is the one working on this patch I assume it will remove the Darky glitch?

The darky glitch is part of a bug located in the server executable, not the client; the client is probably the only file that will be deployed to end users when it's ready. It really is a bug, but at the same time, there are many who would prefer that it be left unpatched. Therefore, within the various mechanisms from the replicated master server that we are building from the ground up, we could possibly make it so only servers with strict patched standards are displayed, but this is still undecided.

My opinion on the matter is that there should be some servers with DTG removed, but some with it still in gameplay. The last thing we want to do is further strip the population base; at least this is my perspective.

I agree with what you say, but can't you put the glitch back into a server using userscripts? Starting with 1.3 userscripts on servers is supposed to be the preferred method of modding is it not?

I guess what i'm saying is remove the glitch in the patched executable and allow server operators the option of applying the feature back in.

To that end Gamerz will be releasing server side userscripts for modded effects to the SWBFII community including FFA, no-gunner, indestructible health droids, time-limited Hero Assault, etc. These scripts will be stackable to allow server customization on an unprecedented scale. We appreciate the efforts of all the modding community for all the work done in the past and the present to make this game so long-lived and special.

The bug happens at a lower level (in the engine, before scripting) than LUA. LUA can't touch it.

You can control in-game things like flight cieling, movement speed, etc. with user scripts, but you cant affect low level stuff like the amount of gravity applied to angled surfaces.
Eyes Only
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: masterqueue
Steam ID: feintmass

Postby SG-17 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 pm

What exactly is the 'Darkie Glitch'? I've only played competitively on the PlayStation 2 version and I never heard of it.
SG-17
Community Member

Postby {JOG}Mastaisac » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:48 am

How goes the work on all of this?
HADUKEN!!!

{JOG}Mastaisac
Community Member

Postby Mandalore » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:05 am

SG-17 wrote:What exactly is the 'Darkie Glitch'? I've only played competitively on the PlayStation 2 version and I never heard of it.

You ain't competin' if ya don't know ye olde darky glitch. What it is, though, is an abuse of a glitch in the code of the game. You shoot, jump, jump (jet), shoot, jump, jump (jet) shoot and can get off 3 shots within three seconds, killing even a wookiee without them being able to shoot back. On maps like Tantive you get 4, if I recall correctly. Darkie glitching helps to balance the meta game with how ridiculous the wookiee is as a unit. Some casuals who are exposed to it cry lots about it. On a competitive level though, it helps balance out the factions drastically. Wookiees are still more powerful in general though. One bow caster shot down a hallway is enough to do most of a darkie's HP long before they come into range. It's like an over-powered shotgun.
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 pm

{JOG}Mastaisac wrote:How goes the work on all of this?

I'm trying to keep up with Eyes' progress, but I hear he has been incredibly busy as of late and has been unable to dedicate too much time to the project. We wish you well Eyes!
Love and Pepsi are the two most important things in life.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Xfire: sirpepsi

Postby SG-17 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Mandalore wrote:
SG-17 wrote:What exactly is the 'Darkie Glitch'? I've only played competitively on the PlayStation 2 version and I never heard of it.

You ain't competin' if ya don't know ye olde darky glitch. What it is, though, is an abuse of a glitch in the code of the game. You shoot, jump, jump (jet), shoot, jump, jump (jet) shoot and can get off 3 shots within three seconds, killing even a wookiee without them being able to shoot back. On maps like Tantive you get 4, if I recall correctly. Darkie glitching helps to balance the meta game with how ridiculous the wookiee is as a unit. Some casuals who are exposed to it cry lots about it. On a competitive level though, it helps balance out the factions drastically. Wookiees are still more powerful in general though. One bow caster shot down a hallway is enough to do most of a darkie's HP long before they come into range. It's like an over-powered shotgun.

Ah, well that explains why I never heard of it. For most of its competitive life the special classes have been banned from competitive play on the PlayStation 2 and servers were modes to require 40+ points to unlock them for regular use.
SG-17
Community Member

Postby Draigun » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:26 am

Around early May is when the project will start to gain considerable momentum. We will have another developer joining the team at said time, which is going to help us tremendously.
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 am

Draigun wrote:Around early May is when the project will start to gain considerable momentum. We will have another developer joining the team at said time, which is going to help us tremendously.

Any way I could help out? What language are you using?
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II