I'm sick of Gameranger...

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: I'm sick of Gameranger...

Postby V4n1ty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:15 pm

I stated already that Gamemaster is just inactive. SWBFII on Steam and GOG are the main ways to obtain the game, and when people get the game, the first thing they find out about is Gameranger, making Gameranger more active.

This past weekend I looked at the list of Battlefront II sessions on Gameranger and there was my server, with 50+, 2 or 3 more servers with over 20-30 players and about 50+ various 4 man sessions.

At that same moment I looked at the Gamemaster server list and there was one clan server with a few people and couple of locked 4 man games.

Gameshare may be better and simpler to use but in reality no body wants to play alone, or alone with bots.
V4n1ty
Community Member

Postby SG-17 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Well if the popular servers move to GameMaster the players will follow.
SG-17
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:50 pm

SG-17 wrote:Well if the popular servers move to GameMaster the players will follow.

that's very unlikely.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby SG-17 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:12 am

How did GameRanger get so popular in the first place?
SG-17
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:40 am

GAYRANGER BABY!!!! YEAH!!!
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby CommanderOtto » Fri May 01, 2015 4:04 pm

SG-17 wrote:How did GameRanger get so popular in the first place?

I suppose because gameranger is already well known for hosting other dead games... while gamemaster is new and only known by veteran swbf2 players. Besides, gameranger is easy to install... you don't have to move around files. The "install client" they created for gamemaster is only a recent addition. Plus, when people search for answers in google (in order to play multiplayer) the first thing they find is the number of articles mentioning that Gameranger is going to keep the game alive after the gamespy shutdown.

btw, does anyone know if Draigun and Eyes are around? I sent both of them messages but they seem to have completely disappeared. I was wondering if they could help Vanity with a few things.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Ain't of Judgement » Fri May 01, 2015 5:41 pm

CommanderOtto wrote:btw, does anyone know if Draigun and Eyes are around? I sent both of them messages but they seem to have completely disappeared. I was wondering if they could help Vanity with a few things.

Otto check my friend list on steam, I've got eyes added. Maybe you can contact him there.
Ain't of Judgement
Community Member

Xfire: Aιη'Τ φf JuΔgΣϻεπΓ

Postby V4n1ty » Fri May 01, 2015 6:36 pm

I don't know them and they probably have a life to tend to. Fixing the admin bugs it not the most important thing but it would be nice to have eventually to grant more admins.
V4n1ty
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm

V4n1ty, your server is awesome. I personally love the variety and some of the experiments you are trying.

Gameranger is annoying yes, I already blocked some of the ads (some still sneak through). And if the owners want to complain about that, I'll just report them to Google for abusing Youtube ads (I am willing to bet it's against the TOS).

I didn't know it was that annoying on the backend.

Seriously, their fix for the fake player issue is to block remote connections to the manager? Really? Wasn't that patched some time ago?

Might be able to hex edit gameranger to ignore changes to the EXE. Not me of course, but somebody...
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby Gynophobia » Sun May 03, 2015 11:26 pm

Hey V4n1ty,

I host a server on GameRanger myself. I wish I found your post before though, as I can confirm all those issues you mentioned in hosting a dedicated server. I rent one in LA, and installed the buggy dedicated server on there, as well as GameRanger.

The "Players" tab is definitely the worst thing ever. It refreshes despite having it unticked, and doesn't always show every player's name. Also all remote apps, such as the Remote Server Manager and Chat Reader, don't work just like you said. It's a pity that they made that intentional.

Does the Server Manager have just as many issues WITHOUT the use of GameRanger, or does it work better? Seems like GR causes some issues itself.
Gynophobia
Community Member

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II