Modding the Exe.

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Modding the Exe.

Postby Outrider » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:58 am

Eyes Only wrote:isntant spawn:
The story behind this is kind of funny. A while ago, GMRZ asked me to make an instant spawn mod: I agreed, but I never said I'd give it to them. Another impossible feat (according to gametoasts limitless knowledge about the game /sarcasm) brought to you by VA.

Wrong. It has been well known for several years now that this can be done by hex editing the BattlefrontII.exe file, which is illegal, by the way, under the the SWBF2 software license.
Outrider
Community Member

Re: 2 New SWGO Servers

Postby Eyes Only » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 am

Outrider wrote:
Eyes Only wrote:isntant spawn:
The story behind this is kind of funny. A while ago, GMRZ asked me to make an instant spawn mod: I agreed, but I never said I'd give it to them. Another impossible feat (according to gametoasts limitless knowledge about the game /sarcasm) brought to you by VA.

Wrong. It has been well known for several years now that this can be done by hex editing the BattlefrontII.exe file, which is illegal, by the way, under the the SWBF2 software license.

Oh, cool, you found some posts having to do with my old clan :D <3 RAPTOR

Game is legacy software, abotu to hit EOL, and the company that made it no longer exists. I say edit the games executable as much as you like, only good could come of it.

Wait, weren't you the guy that came in here impersonating nathan mates trying to back up your false information? Making it onto the wall of shame does wonders for your credibility.
Last edited by Eyes Only on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes Only
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: masterqueue
Steam ID: feintmass

Postby Outrider » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 am

Eyes Only wrote:Wait, weren't you the guy that came in here impersonating nathan mates trying to back up your false information? Making it onto the wall of shame does wonders for your credibility.

Nope, I just used a username that happened to be someone else's real name. Aside from that, everything else is all me.
Eyes Only wrote:Game is legacy software, and the company that made it no longer exists. I say edit the games executable as much as you like, only good could come of it.

Good? Yes, I agree, but there is also the bad. And no, Pandemic developed the game under LucasArts, which still exists.
Outrider
Community Member

Postby Eyes Only » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:16 am

Outrider wrote:
Eyes Only wrote:Wait, weren't you the guy that came in here impersonating nathan mates trying to back up your false information? Making it onto the wall of shame does wonders for your credibility.

Nope, I just used a username that happened to be someone else's real name. Aside from that, everything else is all me.
Eyes Only wrote:Game is legacy software, and the company that made it no longer exists. I say edit the games executable as much as you like, only good could come of it.

Good? Yes, I agree, but there is also the bad. And no, Pandemic developed the game under LucasArts, which still exists.

Pandemic and lucasarts are two completely separate companies. Lucasarts had no hand in the development of the game other than headaches, some art, and pushed-up due dates. Everything was pandemic.
Eyes Only
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: masterqueue
Steam ID: feintmass

Postby Draigun » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 am

Outrider wrote:And no, Pandemic developed the game under LucasArts, which still exists.

LucasArts is the publisher, so they had no copyrights over Pandemic studios.
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Postby Outrider » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:34 am

Eyes Only wrote:Pandemic and lucasarts are two completely separate companies. Lucasarts had no hand in the development of the game other than headaches, some art, and pushed-up due dates. Everything was pandemic.

Yes, I know that. Pandemic (the developer) was under contract to make the game for LucasArts (the publisher), but in the end, the overall SWBF2 intellectual property belongs to LucasArts, a company that still exists. So if you want to modify important files, or pirate the game even, you would have to answer legally to LucasArts, not Pandemic.

EDIT:
Draigun wrote:
Outrider wrote:And no, Pandemic developed the game under LucasArts, which still exists.

That is not the case. Try reading the fine print, and see for yourself. Heck, it's even on the splash screen after you load SWBF2 up.
Outrider
Community Member

Postby [m'kay] » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:52 am

Outrider wrote:
Eyes Only wrote:Pandemic and lucasarts are two completely separate companies. Lucasarts had no hand in the development of the game other than headaches, some art, and pushed-up due dates. Everything was pandemic.

Yes, I know that. Pandemic (the developer) was under contract to make the game for LucasArts (the publisher), but in the end, the overall SWBF2 intellectual property belongs to LucasArts, a company that still exists. So if you want to modify important files, or pirate the game even, you would have to answer legally to LucasArts, not Pandemic.

EDIT:
Draigun wrote:

That is not the case. Try reading the fine print, and see for yourself. Heck, it's even on the splash screen after you load SWBF2 up.

there is nobody in the world that gives the slightest [poo]
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby THEWULFMAN » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:21 am

Actually quite a few people do care, Narg. Like AQT and I.

Eyes Only and co. Just a bunch of kids think they are the [poo] and don't care if they break the law.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Re: Modding the Exe.

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:24 am

I've separated the threads, any discussions about the exe should be done here, note though, i won't tolerate any more personal attacks here, those posts will be edited or deleted and punishments may be ditched out.

As far as legality goes, i tend to follow laws as much as i can, however silly ones like not loaning movies....meh.

Now my question to this: has the exe been modded for security reasons in the past or present? Does 1.4 have a modded exe? Wasn't the CTD hack fixed with a modded exe?

If so, i call this fixing what the designers never did?

Mt
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Re: Modding the Exe.

Postby Col. Hstar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 am

Wow, we're really debating about the license and copyright infringements being committed against Lucasarts on an 8 year old game that sells on steam for $5 bucks? :wacko: In most states the statute of limitations on software piracy is 5 years for criminal action and 3 years for civil action. So why is this even an issue??

I'm sure if Lucasarts was really interested in policing ever game it ever put out they would be doing that. This is the company doing everything possible to squeeze pennies from the KOTOR series so if they had an action to take they would.

Yes I know it's more about encoding and software, but come on.... If we can take the spawn time out then do it.
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Next

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II