Weird Keyboard Issue

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Weird Keyboard Issue

Postby theavengers85 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:07 am

I've been having a minor issue with my keyboard that I am at a loss to explain.

Whenever I chat (or use the lua console, or type my name in the gamespy username box), I cannot type a " " ", "+" or "`".

Also, when I type a "[" nothing happens. If I type "]" i get "[" and if I type "\", I get a "]". If I type shift-], i get "{", and shift-/ gives me "}".

I have the steam version. I even uninstalled it completely and reinstalled it (for another reason, borked a mod install), and it still does it, even with no mods (steam automatically installs 1.1 patch).

I use a laptop, so I thought it might be the keyboard. I tried connecting a regular keyboard, and it had the same issue.

Here's the bizzare thing: I can map these keys to control game functions just fine.

Anybody else have this issue?
theavengers85
Community Member

Re: Weird Keyboard Issue

Postby FaiL.? » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 am

I had an issue when I could type an "i" because the computer typed a 5. Also, My "m" became a "0". This was because My Scroll lock was jammed electronically from Bf2, So I simply restarted my laptop and the Problem cleared. Does that help? (Also, check If your "Scroll lock" light is on, and check if it's stuck.)
:)
FaiL.?
Community Member

Origin ID: Egrigious

Postby theavengers85 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:13 pm

I don't have a scroll lock key or a numlock, since I don't have a numpad.

I tried the onscreen keyboard, and noticed that numlock was enabled when i started the game (but not before).

Toggling it off (and toggling scrolllock on) didn't help.

Also, this has persisted through several restarts, and is a long standing issue.

I found that I can type "<', but not ",", which is even weirder, since I can type "."

The part with the brackets almost looks like it is shifted over from where it is supposed to be, but the part with the < > signs works just fine.

Edit: Forgot to add: my keyboard response is very slow in game. I frequently mistype because it takes a lot of pressure to register in game. Don't have this issue in any other program or game.
theavengers85
Community Member

Postby FaiL.? » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:08 pm

For the last part, It's probably because it's a really old, bugged game. Did you restart the computer?
FaiL.?
Community Member

Origin ID: Egrigious

Postby theavengers85 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 pm

~Hadrian wrote:For the last part, It's probably because it's a really old, bugged game. Did you restart the computer?

Yeah, it has persisted through several restarts, so that's not it.
theavengers85
Community Member

Postby Talon Karrde » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:36 pm

I don't know if your laptop has a full fledged keyboard, but if there's a true numpad, does the same thing happen if you hit the + key on the numpad?

Otherwise, it sounds like your keyboard layout got modified. Go to Control Panel --> Regional Settings and check to see if you didn't accidentally switch yourself to Dvorak or some other language's keyboard.
"Bigotry wrapped in prayer is still bigotry."
Talon Karrde
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: lolnewb
Steam ID: Keirnoth

Re: Weird Keyboard Issue (FIXED!)

Postby theavengers85 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:00 pm

FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ok, after experimenting with autohotkey, I could not for the life of me get the quote key to send to the game.

Decided to check dxdiag, went to the input tab, saw several microsoft ehome keyboards (hmmm....)

Remembered that the mapping seemed to be weird.

Went to device drivers, and found this: microsoft ehome mcir 109 (wireless keyboard for my infrared port, must be installed in case I buy an infrared keyboard)

Googled it, found that someone said it made their tilde key not work.

Uninstalled it, and TADA, no more keyboard problems!

Even the keyboard lag issues are gone.
theavengers85
Community Member

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II