Server Issues

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Server Issues

Postby Matt-Chicago » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:49 pm

As you may know, we've had some trouble running all of the old WGO servers on our new box.
We're not quite sure if it's the box or the connection, but it's not looking like we can run 8 servers.
Over the past few days, I've been experimenting with how many slots we can run without causing any lag.
I know for sure we can run at least three servers, with 52, 32, and 32 slots.
Last night I tried running four servers, and everything seemed fine, although only two were really full.

So, today I'm trying five servers, but with different player limits. I'll be watching pings and complaints of lag most of the day, if you have comments please post them here. The current setup is:
JBA - 54 slots
Order 66 - 28 slots
HA - 32 slots
HA No Pull - 24 slots
HA FFA - 24 slots

We'll see how it goes, but I'd be reasonably happy with our box if we could run 5 servers, and maybe switch them out from time to time. Still have to figure out how we'd handle GWL competition server though.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Re: Server Issues

Postby Flyswamper » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Hey Matt,

Only being a curious sort here.... but wondering what solution/provider/setup you are running with for hosting the servers....

Sounds like you have an entire "box" so you must not be going on a per-slot basis. Are you using a hosting company? Paying for super-duper connection and hosting yourself?

Feel free to answer here, via PM, delete/keep my post asking...whatever.... I'm just one of those cats that curiousity kills me from time to time. :)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics stink!
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Re: Server Issues

Postby Matt-Chicago » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey flyswamper!

Based on price, box specs, advertised bandwidth, and IP addresses, I went with http://gameadminpanel.com/ which is a division of http://www.vetwebhosting.com

So this is what we got:
AMD X 2 4850e 2.5 Ghz Dual Core
4 GB DDR2 RAM
1500 GB Bandwidth
250 GB HDD SATA 3 Gb/s
100 mbit uplink
Windows Server 2003
8 IP Addresses
$134.95/month +$15/month for TCAdmin

I've tested (remote desktop access is nice) and the download speed is 100Mbits/s with upload of 10Mbits/s
I think it's a little misleading for them to say it's a 100Mbit uplink. I have NOT been satisfied with their rude and condescending support staff who have lied to me repeatedly because they didn't think I have the technical knowledge to know they were full of it.

Anyhow, JBA is getting full with some people on HA and pings are looking good. The real test will be tonight. If we can run 166 slots for $150/month that's not a terribly bad deal, I think.

I'd hate to change providers because I'd have to set it up all over again and everyone would lose their stats again, but that is an option because we're month to month and I've only paid through October 1st.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II