GameSpy Sever Shut Down.

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: GameSpy Sever Shut Down.

Postby deadmeow » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Tunngle has a unified, single SWBF2 lobby. You install, register a user name, login, and then you only have 1 SWBF2 lobby. Period. This is not hamachi or a random vpn. Tunngle is specifically for gaming. Openspy (gamespy replacement) is full of bugs, requires someone constantly run a master server, requires that someone is possibly able to create a patch for the swbf2.exe, and requires every person to install that patch. If the master server goes down, it is useless. If the master server changes hands, then you need to install another patch, and good luck chasing everyone down for that.

Tunngle requires no modification or patch to your existing game. Install, run, login, join the single SWBF2 network. Load/run SWBF2, go to LAN, and it will list ALL the dedicated servers and non-dedicated servers, just as we currently have under the netplay option. It does not splinter anything, and it keeps everyone on the same page.

Over the past year or so, when I join the SWBF1 lobby on Tunngle, I notice that the SWBF2 lobby usually has a few people in there. I would suggest people try it out now. SWBF1 has already been through this, and openspy only fragmented the remaining community into 2, and never worked properly for most people, glitchy, full of bugs, and was completely abandoned. Now everyone who plays uses tunngle, period. If you can find a better and easier option, then please let me know, as most of us want a simple way for online play.

This is what is most likely to happen. Because it has already happened to swbf1.
deadmeow
Community Member

Postby NiteRunner81 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks Col. Hster!!!

deadmeow, I understand your concerns and I plan on sending screenshots of this ENTIRE thread to M@tt before I speak to him on this matter (it may be tomorrow it may be Thursday (I have 3 birthdays this week in my family) so he will see ALL the options on the table. I have no bias or preference to any option on the table.

Regardless, we all need to realize that there is a HUGE chance that ALL SWBF2 server providers are being given notice for shut down orders. Most likely our servers will have to be housed privately which means more middle-manning and M@tt probably doesn't want to get involved. He is a very busy family man (his son was born ill and there is a chance *I don't know for sure* that his son may have lingering chronic Illness), and is a huge activist. He has a lot on his plate right now.

I am in no shape to take over if M@tt decides to shut down SWGO operations and I ain't second in line (that would be Overlord haasd0gg). If haasd0gg doesn't want to take over then I will consider it if I have a strong support system (reliable people here that can get crap done when it needs to be). If some of you don't know I'm 4 1/2 months pregnant and my son starts Kindergarten the week I'm due (who may be homeschooled) so I'm gonna be quite busy myself.

I've spoken to Eyes Only about Open Spy and I will find someone to speak to about Tunngle and I will also be copying and pasting ALL of those conversations (or SSing) and giving those to M@TT before I speak to him. M@TT is an educated man and won't make any rash decisions without researching all options available.

I don't know what the weather is like for you guys but finally in the Silicon Forest (what we call my region in Oregon) it is sunny and bright and warm so I'm gonna enjoy some time outside today. :clap:

Cheers :th_a017:
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby WD-40 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Mandalore wrote:
WD-40 wrote:
Mandalore wrote:In short, y'all about to get [m'kay]. :)

I just read a good book, and I feel better. :punk:

Something, somewhere will come along. Especially after they finish the next movie. New life will be breathed into this calamity. You all will just be a little older.

You should read the A Song of Ice and Fire series. So god damn good. Read (listened actually, at work) twice in the past year alone. Starting A Way of Kings by Sanderson soon after finishing a re-read of the Silmarillion.

And I'm not being pessimistic, just being real. The vast majority of the players that still play on your servers aren't really connected outside of the game itself and solely use the server browser. Sure you'll get some, but I'd be extremely surprised to see 20 people active after the server shut down.

HAH!! That is exactly what I'm reading! The 'Game of Thrones'/Song of Ice and Fire books. Haven't done the 'Prequel book for the HBO series ( Song of Ice and Fire), but will. I'm on book 3 'A Storm of Swords' and have watched Seasons 1 and 2 on Megashare.info so far. 25% into book 3. Will then watch Season 3, then read book 4 (A Feast for Crows), watch what I'm taping for season 4 (in progress), then maybe hold off reading book 5 (A Dance with Dragons). This book series and HBO series is Awesome! The Dwarf has the funniest damn lines.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby WD-40 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:13 pm

[NH]Veritas wrote:There goes my life I could kill myself now

You need to get laid.

Now if you watch 'Honey Boo Boo', then THAT'S worth killing yourself. :lol:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Mandalore » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:52 pm

What prequel book are you referring to? As far as I know there is only the main series, a few side stories like dunk and egg then there is anther book called the work of ice and fire in the works
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:05 am

Mandalore wrote:What prequel book are you referring to? As far as I know there is only the main series, a few side stories like dunk and egg then there is anther book called the work of ice and fire in the works

You're correct. Got the titles mixed up. See below. It's quicker.
image.jpg
image.jpg (185.36 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (168.88 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Mandalore » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:44 am

I recommend reading the books before the show. The show is a steaming pile of [poo] in comparison.

COMMANDER OTTO:
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:24 am

Perhaps, but based on the first 2 seasons, I think they did a great job. I'm sure you'll agree that in order to do the 'books' justice, they would have needed twice as many episodes (minimum). That being said, they took liberty with the plot. Keep in mind the Author wrote the HBO Battle scene himself. It was different from his own book. I understand that because $$$ determines what goes into 30 minutes of airtime vs 2 hrs of reading. I haven't seen beyond 2nd season yet and I'm sure I'll see some disappointing liberties taken to cram the jist of the story in, but I keep an open mind. It's the way it goes in HBO/ Hollywood land. I suppose you could enjoy the HBO series more without reading the books. However, you sacrifice understanding and appreciating each character without reading the books. It's a tough compromise, but I've come to accept the liberties they must take. Personally, I think Theon Greyjoy had the 'best' part in the TV series. You know what I mean.

Wow! We are off subject! Anyway, keep SWGO going on the Forums best we can in the meantime. I'm glad to be Facebook buds with 4 other Admins and would be with favored others and favored non admins. (but I'm picky). JP?...and a few others...

Eventually, a BF3 type game will appear. Start a newer version of SWGO in the BF3 world. Carry on. Idk if Matt could care less. His Son is far more important and I pray all will be well. I thought Haas with a side of Bryant/Nite/Eyes would revitalize SWGO when the time was right if Matt couldn't be involved. Matt will always be SWGO in my opinion. Hopefully, we'll be able to reorganize into a new community that will last another 5 to 10 years. If not, well, remember the good times! I know I'll never forget.

So, read/watch 'Game of Thrones' in the meantime as the BF2 world flushes down the crapper.
Go to Megashare.info website. Type in the Game of Thrones in search (or any movie/TV series/shows they may have and enjoy.). See you all on Battlefront 3 someday... In case I forget to say it.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Mandalore » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:27 am

Oh my sweet summer child, you know nothing yet of winter.

COMMANDER OTTO:
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby haasd0gg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:43 pm

If you guys didn't see the south park "thrones" episodes, you're missing out big time.
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II