A Statistical Experiment

All information and activities related to SWBF2

A Statistical Experiment

Postby kjeopardy » Mon May 19, 2014 3:26 am

I'm curious as to the win percentage of each of the 4 sides: rebels, imps, droids, and clones. I'm assuming the Battlefront Server Software does not log such information.

Would anyone be interested in helping keep a record -- for like a week maybe -- of the wins/losses of each game? I'm not sure how the details of logging would work (maybe a google doc), but there's no need to get into that without my seeing if anyone would even be interested in helping.

We don't have to record every single game -- but we should try to get enough so that our results at least mean something. I don't really know statistics, and am not sure how many games would make our conclusions "significant" in the precise mathematical sense, but I'd just like to get a rough idea.

My hypothesis is that the CIS and Rebs win more than their enemies -- but by how much is the question I guess.

So, if there's any interest I'd try to put that together. We only need maybe 7-8 people who play regularly to be willing to help, but it would be more productive if some of the people were in different time zones, play in the morning, etc.

GameSpy has given me a deadline for this little project :mrgreen:, so let me know!
"Mathematics is the queen of sciences and number theory is the queen of mathematics. She often condescends to render service to astronomy and other natural sciences, but in all relations she is entitled to the first rank."~Karl Friedrich Gauss
kjeopardy
Community Member

Xfire: kjeopardy

Re: A Statistical Experiment

Postby Duel of Fates » Mon May 19, 2014 3:54 am

I have been playing for too long. From my experience, it is pretty evenly split as far as winning sides ratios. It usually comes down to experienced players working together that will turn the tide. Good tactics, experienced players, and teamwork on both sides usually means a good close game.

Interesting theory, but a little late to prove one way or the other. Since gamespy will be shutting down soon.
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby kjeopardy » Mon May 19, 2014 3:56 am

I've always felt a bit of a CIS/rebs bent --

But yes, I guess it has to do more with the luck of where the better players get sent.

And I guess there really isn't time to do it -- something like this may really take a month or two to really give anything solid. Ah well, maybe if the game survives...
"Mathematics is the queen of sciences and number theory is the queen of mathematics. She often condescends to render service to astronomy and other natural sciences, but in all relations she is entitled to the first rank."~Karl Friedrich Gauss
kjeopardy
Community Member

Postby Duel of Fates » Mon May 19, 2014 5:36 am

crossing fingers :whistling:
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby WD-40 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:47 am

Even if you do this over 2 years, I believe as Duel said. Having good players is also only so good as team work, but especially good tactics (ie capturing CPs). Having just one sniper sneaking off unseen at high speed for instance to capture a badly needed CP on the other side of a map, while the enemy is overly focused on crushing the only remaining CP can be a game changer. But unique advantages of players such as those that fly to enable quick shortcuts to high ground and CPs is not available to opponents despite level of skills. Some flyers would rather shoot at the enemy instead of flying to get a CP. Then there's those notorious Engineers who don't repair the badly needed health/ammo droids that would either save the day or at least the CP, or have the opportunity to blow up an enemy's droids, knowing they are about to die anyway. Unless you a had ALL good consistent players, ALL the time, it would be tough to analyze this.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Mandalore » Mon May 19, 2014 4:57 pm

If you're talking pub [poo], it's pretty random.

In terms of tier list style conversation, when it's the best vs the best played to the utmost extent then rebels tend to be stronger as does CIS.
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby Darth Crater » Mon May 19, 2014 10:01 pm

I suspect that, at least for some maps, the map layout will overshadow any difference between the factions themselves. And that's not even counting things like the double reinforcement loss that happens in... was it GCW Death Star?
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby kjeopardy » Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 pm

What do you mean double-reinforcement loss?
kjeopardy
Community Member

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II