GameMaster replacement for GameSpy

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: GameMaster replacement for GameSpy

Postby stelio » Thu May 29, 2014 11:27 am

WD-40 wrote:
Darth Crater wrote:
Darth Crater wrote:Relevant XKCD!

So, some players were talking about the upcoming shutdown in the NYC server earlier. The above comic has never been more applicable. (And that's not even counting the guy who thought that the German program meant that the servers would literally be hosted in Germany.)

Just ensure that all of your banking account information and associated passwords are available for access during program downloads. Thank you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
stelio
Community Member

Postby Papa Kane » Thu May 29, 2014 4:50 pm

I'd strongly discourage American players from using the GameMaster patch to continue playing. I don't doubt that it works well for European players, but I'm assuming that the master server is hosted in Germany. If that's the case, then the average American player who uses this patch can expect to have a ping around 1000ms because their data has to go from America over to Germany, then back to the Battlefront II server in America, then back to Germany, then back to the client in America.

That is not entirely correct. Yes, the GameMaster server is hosted in Germany and yes, there will be a delay caused by transmitting data from America to Germany and back.

But this won't be a real problem for the average American player:
Game- and masterserver only exchange data for the serverlist and connecting. So maybe it will take a few more seconds to refresh your serverlist or connect to a gameserver. But during the game there will be no communication between client and masterserver, all data will be exchanged between gameserver and client. So if the gameserver is hosted in America players won't have a high ping!
This is the same procedure as before, because GameMaster's function is based on the original GameSpy protocols...

You are the guy who recommends Tunngle in your video? That is an even worse idea because some of your people have a solution like the GameMaster hosted in America (which should not have the problems you described above too)...
Papa Kane
Community Member

Postby Papa Kane » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Good news!

Gameshare is now featuring an additional masterserver hosted in the US. This eliminates delay during connection and refresh. Even better: If one server has problems, all information will be received from the other server...

- Kane
Papa Kane
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:54 am

Draigun wrote:I've analyzed that piece of software - it pretty much does exactly what we are doing, the only difference is that ours is being built by well known, trusted developers.

We are getting ready to deploy our fix pretty soon, just a few more needed procedures, and it will be ready to go. We've already had talks with a well known group that will be giving us the needed resources to launch a full-scale fix, and for it to be widely distributed across all realms.

It is a bit humorous to know that already, I count 5 entities willing to support SWBF2 in the afterlife (including us), most of which have redundant, bloated implementations for the fix.

well drai, if you guys don't finish it soon, the whole swbf2 community will just separate as they all look for different options. If you publish the update soon, we can advertise it in the servers and hope most people download it.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby WD-40 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:42 am

Will this software code do things to our computers that we 'would not approve of'? Just saying. Breaking down barriers is what you guys love best. I guess I'd like to know what your 'motivation' is for doing this for old BF2, when BF3 seems so likely. It's not personal, but you two are black hats with white trim, and my vocation makes me naturally suspicious.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Papa Kane » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:38 am

I guess I'd like to know what your 'motivation' is for doing this for old BF2, when BF3 seems so likely.

Do you mean me/us? ^^

The answer is very simple: Most of us played SWBF 1 and 2 for a very long time. There are memories from our childhood/youth and hours of playing Battlefront. Even now it is nice to play the games because they are different from todays mainstream, so we want to keep the multiplayer alive! Furthermore it was not that difficult to replace a masterserver. So if it is possible, why not simply do it? That is our motivation...

Will this software code do things to our computers that we 'would not approve of'? Just saying. Breaking down barriers is what you guys love best.

What? Of course it will not... We are not the NSA. Just saying. Breaking down barriers is what these guys love best (and the war is over too, so tell me a reason why the modifications should do anything you "would not approve of"?^^). And if you do not trust the source, you are able to modify the files by yourself.

Please visit the official GameMaster forums for future questions: http://gameshare.co/forum/
A developer will help you with any question! If you do not want to, I will do it here...
Papa Kane
Community Member

Postby Darth Crater » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 pm

WD-40 wrote:Will this software code do things to our computers that we 'would not approve of'? Just saying. Breaking down barriers is what you guys love best. I guess I'd like to know what your 'motivation' is for doing this for old BF2, when BF3 seems so likely. It's not personal, but you two are black hats with white trim, and my vocation makes me naturally suspicious.

Eh, I trust Draigun about as far as I can throw him, but I don't think Eyes would do that sort of thing.

That said, I'm obviously going to be scanning the final product. And if I'm feeling really paranoid that day, I could always set up a dedicated VM.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby Brazosgrad » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:12 pm

I'll likely be giving it up and moving on to greener pastures (like BF3 when it comes out). It's been a good run, but I think my days with BF2 are coming to an end personally. And despite Steve's JOB as a skeptic, nobody is paying me anything to be one, and I'm just a little bit leery of private individuals writing something for public consumption that doesn't have a world of peer review and company reputation on the line. No offense meant, and I don't have any ill will against Eyes or anyone else, but I guess it's just the principle of the thing. Cheers.
Brazosgrad incognito
Brazosgrad
SWBF2 Admin

Postby NiteRunner81 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Darth Crater wrote:
WD-40 wrote:Will this software code do things to our computers that we 'would not approve of'? Just saying. Breaking down barriers is what you guys love best. I guess I'd like to know what your 'motivation' is for doing this for old BF2, when BF3 seems so likely. It's not personal, but you two are black hats with white trim, and my vocation makes me naturally suspicious.

Eh, I trust Draigun about as far as I can throw him, but I don't think Eyes would do that sort of thing.

That said, I'm obviously going to be scanning the final product. And if I'm feeling really paranoid that day, I could always set up a dedicated VM.

If Draigun does anything nefarious I live close enough to kick him..
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby Eyes Only » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:56 am

Eyes Only
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: masterqueue
Steam ID: feintmass

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II