GameMaster replacement for GameSpy

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: GameMaster replacement for GameSpy

Postby PyroJockey » Tue May 27, 2014 3:47 am

Papa Kane wrote:I hope I could give you some reasons to not only try but use the GameMaster as gamespy alternative! My personal experiences are spectacular and you should definitively take a look!

Greetings Kane,

I was testing both the modified V1.1 client and dedicated server exe files provided. I have some questions and my German is poor, so I shall ask them here.

1. I noticed that when using the modified V1.1 client, it will list all V1.1 servers, both those on Gamemaster server and on GameSpy. Is this the intended behavior?

2. Using the modified V1.1 client I was able to join servers still listed on GameSpy. Is this the intended behavior?

3. Using the modified V1.1 client I was not able to join my dedicated server running the modified V1.1 dedicated server. The connection either times out or connection to host lost. Other testers using the modified V1.1 client were able to join my V1.1 dedicated server. Any suggestions?

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow sh*t up.

Blowing sh*t up since 1978
PyroJockey
Community Member

Xfire: PyroJockey
Steam ID: PyroJockey

Postby deadmeow » Tue May 27, 2014 1:14 pm

This all sounds very promising. As long as Steam continues to sell the game we can keep getting new players. The Steam SWBF2 forums are very active. We need something to do until SWBF3 comes out!
deadmeow
Community Member

Postby Papa Kane » Tue May 27, 2014 3:51 pm

@PyroJockey: Ahh, I see you have registered at swbf3.de! Of course it is not a problem that your german is "poor", my english should be not that good either but I hope everything is understandable... ^^

Although I am not the developer of the GameMaster, I will do my very best to answer your questions!

1. Yes, this is intended behaviour! For the moment most of the important servers are manually listed by Kalle, so you are able...

2. ... to join servers listed on GameSpy and on GameMaster! This will work until the shutdown... ^^

3. Hmmm... Did you open port 3658 UDP on your router or firewall? But if other testers were able to join your server, this "solution" is unlikely... I am not sure what problem this is, maybe you use a personal message to contact Kalle or K3ks3 at swbf3.de? As developers they should be able to help you!

@Eyes Only: I do not think so, but our primary goal was keep the multiplayer running. I did not even have a gamespy account and I am not alone , at least here in Germany... ^^
It is possible that the developers of the GameMaster will implement these features, but I recommend to contact them. I am afraid that two solutions will split up the community, so maybe we can come to an compromise?

I hope I was able to help you!
- Kane
Papa Kane
Community Member

Postby Papa Kane » Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 pm

I am sorry about these second post, but there is an direct answer from Kalle to PyroJockey and I will be responsible for communication with you guys! ^^

1. I noticed that when using the modified V1.1 client, it will list all V1.1 servers, both those on Gamemaster server and on GameSpy. Is this the intended behavior?

With GameMaster it is possible to add any gameserver - no matter if it is hosted with the modified server files or with standard files. Therefore it is possible to list every gameserver - even if someone do not want to modify his server.

2. Using the modified V1.1 client I was able to join servers still listed on GameSpy. Is this the intended behavior?

In order to answer #1 - yes, it is!

3. Using the modified V1.1 client I was not able to join my dedicated server running the modified V1.1 dedicated server. The connection either times out or connection to host lost. Other testers using the modified V1.1 client were able to join my V1.1 dedicated server. Any suggestions?

It would be good to know if you have modified your dedicated server or client in another way and if your connection is proper without the modification. Otherwise it sounds like a network problem. It could also be possible that this problem is caused by the still unimplemented cd-key authentification - but there is no other comparable case known...

At last an addition to all of you:

We would highly appreciate the option to combine both of our projects. Using both of them independently won't be a proper solution in the long term. If you do not want to: Please register (once these option is implemented in the next days) your hosted server IPs manually at GameShare.co, so users of the GameMaster will be able to join your servers too! I will post a new reply when these option is available...

Sincerely,
Kalle & Kane
Papa Kane
Community Member

Postby Sketchup » Tue May 27, 2014 11:14 pm

the only difference is that ours is being built by well known, trusted developers.

I, for one, welcome our German Reich overlords.
Sketchup
Community Member

Postby PyroJockey » Wed May 28, 2014 3:15 am

@Kane: Your English is fine. Meine Eltern waren beide aus Deutschland. Ich habe nicht wieder seit den frühen 1960er Jahren und bin nicht mehr fließend. Ich Google zu übersetzen.

Papa Kane wrote:3. Hmmm... Did you open port 3658 UDP on your router or firewall? But if other testers were able to join your server, this "solution" is unlikely... I am not sure what problem this is, maybe you use a personal message to contact Kalle or K3ks3 at swbf3.de? As developers they should be able to help you!

Depending on how GameMaster works, there may be a port conflict. For over 4 years I have continually hosted multiple SWBFII dedicated servers, mostly for the PS2 version but also some for the two PC versions.

In order to do this I use 8 ports 3658 through 3665. Each port is forwarded accordingly for UDP and TCP. Currently the default port 3658 is in use by a SWBFII PS2 server. The PC server I was testing was on port 3663.

Is either the GameMaster dedicated server or client restricted to using the default game port 3658?

Papa Kane wrote:It would be good to know if you have modified your dedicated server or client in another way and if your connection is proper without the modification. Otherwise it sounds like a network problem.

I do have some modified lvl files on the dedicated server. These are sever only mods and do not require a download for the client. The client is unmodified.

I can try another test with a clean installation of the dedicated server once I know if there is a port conflict. If it is a port issue, that should resolve itself once GameSpy goes down and frees up port 3658 currently used by the PS2 server. Of course I would still like the option to run more than one server concurrently.
Last edited by PyroJockey on Wed May 28, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow sh*t up.

Blowing sh*t up since 1978
PyroJockey
Community Member

Xfire: PyroJockey
Steam ID: PyroJockey

Postby Doveriee » Wed May 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Sketchup wrote:
the only difference is that ours is being built by well known, trusted developers.

I, for one, welcome our German Reich overlords.

Yes, yes. They will take care of us now.
Doveriee
Community Member

Postby kfm946 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:59 am

I'd strongly discourage American players from using the GameMaster patch to continue playing. I don't doubt that it works well for European players, but I'm assuming that the master server is hosted in Germany. If that's the case, then the average American player who uses this patch can expect to have a ping around 1000ms because their data has to go from America over to Germany, then back to the Battlefront II server in America, then back to Germany, then back to the client in America.
kfm946
Community Member

Postby Darth Crater » Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 am

Darth Crater wrote:Relevant XKCD!

So, some players were talking about the upcoming shutdown in the NYC server earlier. The above comic has never been more applicable. (And that's not even counting the guy who thought that the German program meant that the servers would literally be hosted in Germany.)
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby WD-40 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:01 am

Darth Crater wrote:
Darth Crater wrote:Relevant XKCD!

So, some players were talking about the upcoming shutdown in the NYC server earlier. The above comic has never been more applicable. (And that's not even counting the guy who thought that the German program meant that the servers would literally be hosted in Germany.)

Just ensure that all of your banking account information and associated passwords are available for access during program downloads. Thank you.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II