What solution are most people using

All information and activities related to SWBF2

What solution are most people using

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:10 pm

I booted up SWBF2 the other day and used GameRanger. It works pretty well, the ads are very annoying though.

I did see a few people I remembered from long ago on the Vanity server (Otto was one).

What solution is the popular one atm? FreeGST? GameMaster? GameRanger?
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Re: What solution are most people using

Postby Ain't of Judgement » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:17 pm

atm I'm only using gameranger (vanity's server)

This is my view about gamemaster and gameranger if you're interested. (I haven't tried out freeGST)
Gamemaster is where you play team deathmatch vs really good players. You'll see most of the clans here. I think if you wanna go competitive, definitely install the patch.
Gameranger is pretty much like the old swgo days (like the jedi battle arena server) except that there is now a 1 second spawn (which was for me very difficult to adapt to). There are noobs but there are also really good players like (laandbeaver) aka -RB- or ~DLR or commander otto. Vanity also added some stuff like jawa's will now try to kill you, added speeders on hoth hunt and the rocket noob class is now much worse to play with since you can only lay 1 mine and it will give an explosion.

Hope to see you in-game desert eagle, my name on gameranger is "Judgement" and my ID is 5953378 if you anyone would like to add me.
Ain't of Judgement
Community Member

Xfire: Aιη'Τ φf JuΔgΣϻεπΓ

Postby 11_Panama_ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:06 am

I use gamemaster. Pootus and WD-40 imaim, and a few others, and of course, some new faces. Lot's of locked servers, and lot's of CTF's. There are finally a few conquest servers, one that Pootus administrates. Most evenings you can find a few players, but its really dead any other time. Lot's of Germans playing early in the day, but their servers have high ping... or is it more like ...I have high ping there. Come check it, if you don't like it, try gameranger.
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby CommanderOtto » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:09 am

as I have mentioned in other posts, I have heard Gamemaster is pretty much dead, with the exception being a few Pro players. I believe the main issue with gamemaster not being very popular is that people don't trust the program in the first place.

On the other hand, in Gameranger there is a lot of noobery, but I have seen a few more old players show up... like IGF SueKrueger, landbeaver, $$$Night, Judge and others. There are tons of people... sometimes on friday nights there can be around 40 players in the Vanity server. I believe this has become the most popular since it is easy to install program, and can be used for a ton of other old games.

Sadly it seems FreeGST is not being used.

by the way... PAN... I know you like gamemaster, but please join gameranger from time to time for some action :fight2:
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Trigger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 am

I play on Gamemaster as well, even convinced recently to get (IGF) Delta to play it again, but before Gamemaster I played Gameranger, and that was when absolutely no one I knew played on there. Now it seems there are more people I know playing on Gameranger than Gamemaster.

So now I'm thinking about going back to Gameranger
"Welcome to the Cantina, how may I help you?"

Aimer: "I'll Aim, you pull the Trigger"
Trigger: "Sounds good to me"
Trigger
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:15 am

Now im not even sure. Vanity just eliminated heroes from his server tonight.... and it seems it's one of those permanent features like the "one-Mine Heavy Trooper" type of thing. I like his server, but without heroes, I have nothing to look forward to when capturing Cp's.

I guess i'll have to wait for the new battlefront.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Trigger » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:30 pm

CommanderOtto wrote:Now im not even sure. Vanity just eliminated heroes from his server tonight.... and it seems it's one of those permanent features like the "one-Mine Heavy Trooper" type of thing. I like his server, but without heroes, I have nothing to look forward to when capturing Cp's.

I guess i'll have to wait for the new battlefront.

I don't blame you, heroes make thins interesting. Then again, most servers on Gamemaster don't have heroes. But that's because most players on GM are skilled enough not to use them
"Welcome to the Cantina, how may I help you?"

Aimer: "I'll Aim, you pull the Trigger"
Trigger: "Sounds good to me"
Trigger
Community Member

Postby Ain't of Judgement » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:19 pm

no, it's because heroes are OP
Ain't of Judgement
Community Member

Xfire: Aιη'Τ φf JuΔgΣϻεπΓ

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:10 pm

That's too bad about heroes, but I can see the idea. Yesterday, on Death Star CTF, I kept getting Obi-wan, going all the way across the map and just carving up the enemy from behind. However, on this map that is almost mandatory because it's such a deadlock otherwise. Obi-wan is one of the best heroes versus regular players. I between clever mine throwing with the heavy trooper and sabering with Obi-wan I had like 70 kills and 5 deaths.

I was a bit dubious about the 1 mine restriction, but I do like the friendly mine blast effect (you get blown back if a friendly mine goes off nearby). The latter is a neat idea that makes the game more interesting.

Also, the snipers are immune to mines apparently, not sure about that one.

However, nothing is done to the engies, which are pretty OP at close range if you know how to throw a det. They should add the friendly blast effect to det packs IMO. I would not add it to grenades though, way too much potential for griefing.

On a side note, I'm seeing some guys be really accurate with sniper rifles, I can't even come close to matching that. At long range, I see the LOD version of the characters and the shots are not at all accurate. At close range, characters move so fast and unpredictably (and lag doesn't help). How are people this accurate? Is there a trick?
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:01 am

I'm not particularly fond of heroes, as they can be imbalanced for each team, (i.e. Emperor vs Luke, where Luke is far better). Plus, when they spawn camp, it becomes pointless to continue the map, if all you're seeing is a thrown lightsaber cutting the team down with no hope to escape it. Good, equally numbered teams with no heroes is best in my book.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Next

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II