The Battlefront Community, a tournament site, has Relaunched

All information and activities related to SWBF2

The Battlefront Community, a tournament site, has Relaunched

Postby SG-17 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 am

Hello, for those of you who do not know I am SG-17 and I am the Community Manager/Public Relations Staff for The Star Wars: Battlefront Community (Battlefront Community, or BFC for short). We have just relaunched our website to a professionally designed hosted site made by some of our more talented members.

We were founded in the Fall of 2007 for the PlayStation 2 version of Star Wars: Battlefront II and we have been hosting clans and tournaments since then. In fact, we are hosting one final tournament for SWBF2 on the PlayStation 2 this summer (with a cash prize!) as a farewell to the game with the new title around the corner.

We are also open to hosting a PC tournament this summer if we get enough interest. We've tried in the past, but the playstyles were too different to accommodate (we on the PS2 have strict rules for matches that the PC doesn't use). But we are more than willing to put in the effort to make a PC tournament work.

When the new game launches we will begin tournaments for the PlayStation 4 version first, and hopefully the PC and Xbox One versions soon after. Most of the clans who have stuck with us over the years transitioned to the PlayStation 4. We do however have a sizable user base with Xbox Ones and Gaming PCs to help form a base for tournaments on those systems.

We at the BFC love Star Wars: Battlefront and can't wait for the reveal today and the game's launch. We hope that if any of you are interested in competitive play you will join us. I will make posts for each important event we host.

Visit us at http://theswbfc.com.
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSWBFC.
Thank you everyone.
SG-17
Community Member

Re: The Battlefront Community, a tournament site, has Relaun

Postby Mandalore » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:12 am

Not sure if you guys have similar rule sets to what I played under with JoG a few years ago or from what I've seen of infantry on PS2 but in all honesty there are quite a few rules that don't make sense from a competitive stand point because they're entirely grey areas (such as what constitutes roof camping) or things that don't make sense on PC. Such as the few infantry matches I saw (from I think your site) where it was 4v4 but class restricted to one player per class? That might work on PS2 where the gameplay is a lot slower and less precise than PC but trooper/vanguard are at a heavy disadvantage comparatively. Although I personally think that would be a fun and interesting twist.

Then to add onto that, there really doesn't seem to be a PC community left. I'm quite familiar with most of the guys who were near/at the top on both the EU and American side when I played and I can't think of a single one that really plays more than once or twice a year now. You'd have to throw a good size prize tournament or have something novel/cool to make it worth people's trouble. Just my opinions of course, though.
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby SG-17 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:16 pm

We tried to run a PC ladder before and the PC first guys and the PS2 first guys (played PS2 first, moved to PC) couldn't agree on rules and the ladder never made it to finals. We are willing to allow input from everyone for ladder rules for the PC. One of the problems we had though was that without class restrictions most of the PC ladder matches ended up being all Darkies vs all Wookiees.
SG-17
Community Member

Postby Mandalore » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:13 pm

How is that a problem exactly? You switch map sides to make sure each team has the option to play the opposing faction and call it a day. GWL's rule set for infantry was pretty good. You'd usually end up with a few specials but never 100% of them because even darkies and wookiees can really suffer without support.

COMMANDER OTTO:
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby SG-17 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Mandalore wrote:How is that a problem exactly? You switch map sides to make sure each team has the option to play the opposing faction and call it a day. GWL's rule set for infantry was pretty good. You'd usually end up with a few specials but never 100% of them because even darkies and wookiees can really suffer without support.

What was GWL's ruleset?
SG-17
Community Member

Postby Mandalore » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:42 pm

It was pretty bare bones. No vehicles, no infinites/wall glitching/etc "blatants", no class restrictions, no awards, class switching allowed. I want to say that on Polis CIS wasn't allowed outside the hangar but I'm pretty sure now that was only discussed, never implemented. Play one round as one side, then switch. Generally speaking matches were one map. This way there's no faction bias in the outcome.

Heroes was a little more complicated.

Force: 1 puller for 3v3/2v2, 2 for 5v5. No infinites/slow run, wall glitching, etc "blatants" Guns allowed but no class switching.

No Force: No right click force (I.E. saber throw, lightning, etc), no infinites/slow run, wall glitching, etc. No class switching in 1v1s, no Fetts (I think. It might have been just no guns)

For both force and no force, score is counted on the score board screen so that TKs are accounted for. Which they are not in PS2 force from what I recall.

Camping is allowed in all formats.

COMMANDER OTTO:
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby SG-17 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Our ruleset was pretty similar, except we allowed Awards and classes were restricted to each player (4v4 would be one grunt, rocket, engy, and sniper, 5v5 would double on grunt, 6v6, sniper, 7v7 engy, 8v8 rocket). Occasionally we'd allow mortar classes (wookiee and officer) but you needed to use a grunt or sniper to unlock.
SG-17
Community Member

Postby Mandalore » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:02 am

Which is cool, but doesn't make much sense on a platform that is quicker paced and has a more precise means of aiming. Not that I think a tournament on PC is really necessary or going to do much for you guys in all honesty.

COMMANDER OTTO:
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby Inspector Gadget » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Mandalore wrote: You'd usually end up with a few specials but never 100% of them because even darkies and wookiees can really suffer without support.

I lol'd.
Inspector Gadget
Community Member

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II