question about server costs

Information about donations received and how to donate.

Re: question about server costs

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 pm

11_Panama_ wrote:NH, don't bother with Sam, his opinion matters not. Besides, he's not in the server support group. Now about your idea... it won't work out. Pc's can't handle the amount of players we are accustomed to, and the person hosting those Pc's would have to have extraordinary internet to handle the different pings. We're talking something like 100+ dollars a month for fast internet speeds that could handle the high amount of players we deal with.

"Sam's opinion doesn't matter."
"I'm going to disagree with Shadow like he did."
...انا أتكلم اللغة العربية. هل هي سيئة؟ لا
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Postby Duel of Fates » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:46 am

(=DK=)Samonuh wrote:
11_Panama_ wrote:NH, don't bother with Sam, his opinion matters not. Besides, he's not in the server support group. Now about your idea... it won't work out. Pc's can't handle the amount of players we are accustomed to, and the person hosting those Pc's would have to have extraordinary internet to handle the different pings. We're talking something like 100+ dollars a month for fast internet speeds that could handle the high amount of players we deal with.

"Sam's opinion doesn't matter."
"I'm going to disagree with Shadow like he did."

Don't you have somewhere else to be rude and stupid?
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby [NH]Shadow » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:01 pm

well, i guess the moral of the story is, these servers are great for clans of any size, especially if you do not have lots of traffic on your servers. these are great servers to have passcoded, and if anybody wants one, i can send the link, provided they are not "rude and stupid", as DOF said.
'You've taken your first step into a larger world'
http://galactic-voyage.com
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby NiteRunner81 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 am

NH,

On top of all the constructive feedback you've already been given so far I'll add:

There are a couple of other things that are taken into consideration regards to server hosting. (Please don't take this as rude or an accusation against your integrity...) With a proper server host If something were to happen to our servers, and MC's private information and the admins logins there are means for recourse. With a "volunteer freebie" there is no recourse. If you chose to go rogue and use our admin logins and run a muck there is nothing we can do. If an official paid host did something like that then I would just (with MC's blessing only) start a smear campaign against the provider and watch the show.

Also -- I'm gonna quiz you a bit -- what is the first layer of security for servers?

And there is the small detail about fault protection. Do you have battery backups? Generators?

My hubby is a sys admin for Intel and has done stints at Microsoft as well. We easily could get a hold of a server, but we have no way of providing that first layer of security that is recommended for running a server environment.

Since it seems you're offering this service to other groups if there are anything you want advice about in regards to providing these types of services please feel free to ask. WcoCaboose is my hubby and we'd love to answer them.
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Postby [NH]Shadow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:37 pm

NiteRunner81 wrote:NH,

On top of all the constructive feedback you've already been given so far I'll add:

There are a couple of other things that are taken into consideration regards to server hosting. (Please don't take this as rude or an accusation against your integrity...) With a proper server host If something were to happen to our servers, and MC's private information and the admins logins there are means for recourse. With a "volunteer freebie" there is no recourse. If you chose to go rogue and use our admin logins and run a muck there is nothing we can do. If an official paid host did something like that then I would just (with MC's blessing only) start a smear campaign against the provider and watch the show.

Also -- I'm gonna quiz you a bit -- what is the first layer of security for servers?

And there is the small detail about fault protection. Do you have battery backups? Generators?

My hubby is a sys admin for Intel and has done stints at Microsoft as well. We easily could get a hold of a server, but we have no way of providing that first layer of security that is recommended for running a server environment.

Since it seems you're offering this service to other groups if there are anything you want advice about in regards to providing these types of services please feel free to ask. WcoCaboose is my hubby and we'd love to answer them.

Something I would like to get straight. I am NOT offering to host an swgo server. I AM asking if you guys would like the link to the free download patch. I can't even host an NH server on my computer, due to the fact that my computer is a piece of poo.
Well, thank you for the replies and constructive feedback.
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby DeltaEnforce1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Shadow didn't you say that your clan can't join others?

( I know this isn't related to this topic. )
DeltaEnforce1
Community Member

Postby Duel of Fates » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 pm

DeltaEnforce1 wrote:Shadow didn't you say that your clan can't join others?

If there was only some way to send a private message, or a PM, to someone, and avoid necroing a thread not related to your question? Hmmmmmm. :roll:
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby [NH]Shadow » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:57 pm

:dots:
Duel of Fates wrote:
DeltaEnforce1 wrote:Shadow didn't you say that your clan can't join others?

If there was only some way to send a private message, or a PM, to someone, and avoid necroing a thread not related to your question? Hmmmmmm. :roll:

yes, what duel said. well, to answer your question tho, NH is not allowed to multiclan (or you could ask me this on the NH forum :roll: xD)...but SWGO is not a clan, it is a community.
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Previous

Return to Donations