question about server costs

Information about donations received and how to donate.

question about server costs

Postby [NH]Shadow » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:32 pm

so, i have an idea: i was looking at some figures, and they shocked me: y'all are paying about 1200$ a year for 3 servers. well, i have an idea: in [NH] we have two servers, each of them can hold up to 64 players (but that is super laggy), we run one of them with 18, and we will run the other with about 22-26 slots. the thing is, both of those servers are run off of a computer, and they are totally free to run. neither of our server admins has a dedicated gaming computer, which is why we only run them wiht between 18-26 slots. however, if, instead of donating money to pay to run servers that are a bit laggy, SWGO members could donate, buy 3 dedicated gaming computers (i have a friend who builds them for between 400$-500$), and run 3 servers for free, after the initial investment of buying the computers. the type of gaming computers that my friend builds could easily hold a 30-42 player server. or, you could get an even higher model gaming computer for between 600-1200$, and hold possibly up to 50 players. i have already sent the link to the patch to haas, even though he has been ignoring me, thats why im posting this topic lmao. but, what im saying is, yall could run a bunch of servers for free. and, back to the topic of gaming computers, i know some of the members of the server support already have dedicated gaming computers. if you established a server in Chicago, maybe one in Texas (thats where the main [NH] Server is), and one in NYC or something, you would have a pretty good coverage of the country, and still get good connection for EU players....anyhoo, just a thought, you dont need to use it if you dont want. and if any members of the server support want me to PM them the patch download link, i can do that.
'You've taken your first step into a larger world'
http://galactic-voyage.com
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Re: question about server costs

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 pm

No.
...انا أتكلم اللغة العربية. هل هي سيئة؟ لا
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Postby [NH]Shadow » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:55 pm

(=DK=)Samonuh wrote:No.

and why exactly is that?
i am giving you guys [NH]'s secret for how we can maintain 2 (soon 3) servers without having to pay any money. at least show some gratitude that im trying to save SWGO from paying 1400 big ones a year.
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby 11_Panama_ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:11 pm

NH, don't bother with Sam, his opinion matters not. Besides, he's not in the server support group. Now about your idea... it won't work out. Pc's can't handle the amount of players we are accustomed to, and the person hosting those Pc's would have to have extraordinary internet to handle the different pings. We're talking something like 100+ dollars a month for fast internet speeds that could handle the high amount of players we deal with.
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby Mandalore » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Consumer end computers don't have the power to be considered a true host for any games. Even games as low maintenance as SWBF2.
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby [NH]Shadow » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:24 pm

did yall read what i said though? use a gaming computer. like what NH does. none of our ppl have especially good internet and we can hold 18-26 on our servers. and its not as if it would make the SWGO servers any less laggy :whistling:
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby Mandalore » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm

You are clearly very young without a clear grasp of what's being said. Your servers are just shadows of the real thing. Your server is more than likely only running at 15-25% of what a true server would run at. The game might very well appear to play well enough, but in all honesty you more than likely don't know enough about game mechanics to objectively make that call. Don't worry though, everyone was once in your boat. :)
[04:25] -SR-Mandalore: who pitches and who catches
[04:29] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: We'll do it in turns.
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: That sounds super fair
[04:30] -SR-Mandalore: Do you think other gay couples do that?
[04:30] (SWGO)SWINE*FLU: I reckon so.

COMMANDER OTTO:
and you come with the name Mandalore... really CREATIVE.
BY COMMANDER OTTO
Mandalore
Community Member

Postby [NH]Shadow » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Mandalore wrote:You are clearly very young without a clear grasp of what's being said. Your servers are just shadows of the real thing. Your server is more than likely only running at 15-25% of what a true server would run at. The game might very well appear to play well enough, but in all honesty you more than likely don't know enough about game mechanics to objectively make that call. Don't worry though, everyone was once in your boat. :)

w/e
[NH]Shadow
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Shadow what's being said is quite true and the offer you made is very kind, so thanks for the gesture.

Gaming servers are hosted, monitored, cooled, maintained etc in data center and are much different from game rigs in a house on the end of a broadband connection. There are a lot of other factors to consider also which I'll not go into.

You are not being stupid with the offer, you are just less experienced of how things work but you'll learn as you go on.

Regards,

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby WD-40 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 pm

(SWGO)Kren wrote:Shadow what's being said is quite true and the offer you made is very kind, so thanks for the gesture.

Gaming servers are hosted, monitored, cooled, maintained etc in data center and are much different from game rigs in a house on the end of a broadband connection. There are a lot of other factors to consider also which I'll not go into.

You are not being stupid with the offer, you are just less experienced of how things work but you'll learn as you go on.

Regards,

Kren
:action-smiley-043:

Only problem is, is that the 'Server Keepers' keep spilling their beer on the electronics and frying the server connections.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Next

Return to Donations