New gaming rig

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

New gaming rig

Postby Zero_0079 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Hey, haven't posted in a while (back when it was just WGO). How's it going?

Anyway, I've been away from the PC gaming community for a while with work, and life hitting me hard, and keeping me busy, but now i finally found some time for myself and I'm trying to get back into gaming. At least for a bit. However, the issue I'm having is that my PC is really outdated. Plays Wolfenstein: ET, Jedi Academy, and Unreal Tournament 2004 just fine, but now that everyone I've played with in those games have moved on to newer pastures, i think it's about time i did the same, so now I'm looking for something that won't be outdated for a while, so the budget won't be as tight. Just need someone to point me in the right direction. Any ideas?
Zero_0079
Community Member

Steam ID: Fook

Re: New gaming rig

Postby haasd0gg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:22 am

Let me think about it a bit longer. I'll let you know when I have a suggestion :th_a017:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby WD-40 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:35 pm

by Zero_0079 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:08 pm

by haasd0gg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Another 4 years ought to do it. :gunsmilie:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby -)G(-Sawyer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:29 pm

:lol:
"If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"
General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett
-)G(-Sawyer
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: Sawyer73
Steam ID: Sawyer1701

Postby (SWGO)DesertEagle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:59 pm

That bump.....................................................................was.....................................EPIC!
(SWGO)DesertEagle
Community Member

Postby Zero_0079 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:04 am

Oh wow. I got an email that someone replied to this thread. Completely forgot about this thread. Not about the forum though. But I will at least post an update.

These are the specs that I chose for my new PC, which I got earlier in the year:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x7vqn6yc3tfy ... 0List.docx

I know the price is a bit steep, but I couldn't resist the deal, and I had the money to spare. Also, for those who are less than willing to look at the link, I'll post the specs:

1) Nvidia Geforce GTX 660TI
    2)Rosewill HIVE-650W Power Supply
    3)Intel Core i5-3570K 1155 Quad Core CPU
    4)ASUS P8B75-V ATX Motherboard
    5) Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Liquid cooling system
    6) Samsung SATA DVD burner
    7)Kingston HyperX 3K SSD drive
    8)Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
    9)NZXT Phantom 630 computer case (CA-PH630-W1)
    10) Samsung 500 gig hard drive

I also have it running on a 50'' Samsung HDTV at full 1680 x 1050 resolution, with a Rosewill gaming headset. This goes alongside my PS3 and Wii, and the now defunct 360 (RROD several months ago). I originally got mint linux installed, so I can use my Dreamspark account to get a free copy of Windows 8, and even with Windows 8, it works flawlessly. I also have 3 500 gig hard drives that I somehow got a hold of, which will serve as a backup when the current one fills up.

The only real issue I have is that the Case is really big. Bigger than my desk, and it looks completely out of place. But it's really quiet, so that balances out. I am waiting for this desk to show some age, and wear, so I can kick it to the curb, and get me something really fancy.

Another thing I have added recently is a Bluetooth receiver for my Samsung Vibrant, which allows it to act like a remote control for videos, when I am at a distance. However, my Vibrant is showing some age, and I am considering replacing it, but only after I get my degree, which should be in about 3 months.

I have to say, the system runs extremely quiet. Plays all my games from Steam with no frame rate issues. I've kept up maintenance on it, and it's served me well so far, which hopefully will continue to do so for the next 8 years.
Zero_0079
Community Member

Steam ID: Fook

Postby WD-40 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Zero_0079 wrote:Oh wow. I got an email that someone replied to this thread. Completely forgot about this thread. Not about the forum though.

4 years and you only have the ONE additional post just now??!? I'd say you forgot about the 'Forum' too. :lol:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby [m'kay] » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Zero_0079 wrote:Oh wow. I got an email that someone replied to this thread. Completely forgot about this thread. Not about the forum though. But I will at least post an update.

These are the specs that I chose for my new PC, which I got earlier in the year:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x7vqn6yc3tfy ... 0List.docx

I know the price is a bit steep, but I couldn't resist the deal, and I had the money to spare. Also, for those who are less than willing to look at the link, I'll post the specs:

1) Nvidia Geforce GTX 660TI
    2)Rosewill HIVE-650W Power Supply
    3)Intel Core i5-3570K 1155 Quad Core CPU
    4)ASUS P8B75-V ATX Motherboard
    5) Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Liquid cooling system
    6) Samsung SATA DVD burner
    7)Kingston HyperX 3K SSD drive
    8)Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
    9)NZXT Phantom 630 computer case (CA-PH630-W1)
    10) Samsung 500 gig hard drive

I also have it running on a 50'' Samsung HDTV at full 1680 x 1050 resolution, with a Rosewill gaming headset. This goes alongside my PS3 and Wii, and the now defunct 360 (RROD several months ago). I originally got mint linux installed, so I can use my Dreamspark account to get a free copy of Windows 8, and even with Windows 8, it works flawlessly. I also have 3 500 gig hard drives that I somehow got a hold of, which will serve as a backup when the current one fills up.

The only real issue I have is that the Case is really big. Bigger than my desk, and it looks completely out of place. But it's really quiet, so that balances out. I am waiting for this desk to show some age, and wear, so I can kick it to the curb, and get me something really fancy.

Another thing I have added recently is a Bluetooth receiver for my Samsung Vibrant, which allows it to act like a remote control for videos, when I am at a distance. However, my Vibrant is showing some age, and I am considering replacing it, but only after I get my degree, which should be in about 3 months.

I have to say, the system runs extremely quiet. Plays all my games from Steam with no frame rate issues. I've kept up maintenance on it, and it's served me well so far, which hopefully will continue to do so for the next 8 years.

Oh man, it feels so good when someone actually buys a legitimately good PC. Good on you!
[m'kay]
MVP

Return to Tech support