Intel or AMD?

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Intel or AMD?

Postby Corpse » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 pm

I'll be moving house soon, and I hope to buy a new desktop at sometime in the Summer. My budget is gonna be around £700, though I may be able to go a little over that.

Basically, at the moment, I have to choose between an Intel or AMD CPU. The Intel build will cost me an extra £49.

The AMD CPU is a PHENOM II X4 965 (3.40GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3).
The Intel one is an i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost.

Halp... :eek:
Last edited by NiteRunner81 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Its AMD, buddy!!!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Re: Intel or ADM?

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:05 pm

My advice: intel

Speed is nice but.

Intel gives more suport.
Is more stable.
Is more reliable.
And its a higher qualety.

AMD in this case is faster yet i prefer qualety over speed.
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Corpse » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:09 pm

At most, the turbo boot on the intel CPU goes to 3.33GHz, but it's still £49 more expensive. Quality and speed aren't the only factors, I have a budget to keep to...
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby Admiral_Aeka » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:28 pm

as a rule, I like to go with intel cause I've heard too many tales of AMD's being cheap, and on failing the tech support not being there, warranty loopholes...

There's also a debate as to whether in fact they are faster, because a pal of mine (who I believe knows something about this stuff) says that AMD sometimes is too powerful to make a speed differenece due to the connection methods so it doesn't really come out as fast as it's supposed to.

That said, all of this is hearsay and as a rule you'll be better going on google and looking this stuff up rather than asking for *opinions* here.
Kryomancer: 53-7, Bait-Stelio-12 Stelio: 33-22, Bait-Kryo, 6
Next round:
Kryomancer: the fact remains, I pwn you :)
Stelio-Kontos: lets duel moron
==After 1 hour of duels, Kryomancer wins 42-8===
Stelio-Kontos: ok u are better
Admiral_Aeka
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: admiralaeka

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Admiral_Aeka wrote:as a rule, I like to go with intel cause I've heard too many tales of AMD's being cheap, and on failing the tech support not being there, warranty loopholes...

There's also a debate as to whether in fact they are faster, because a pal of mine (who I believe knows something about this stuff) says that AMD sometimes is too powerful to make a speed differenece due to the connection methods so it doesn't really come out as fast as it's supposed to.

Yes aeka ive worked whith AMD before....i know keeping up whith a buget is important.
AMD doesent come out as fast as it should be while intel comes faster.

Back about 6 years ago i had an AMD sempron +3200 it was supossed to run at 1.2GHZ instead it was running at 1GHZ.
Thats 20% diffrence.

Now im running an intel Q8200 Quad-core running at a technical 2.33GHZ yet whith no overclocking its working at 2.4GHZ thats 0.07GHZ faster per core than they say it does.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby toad » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm

I run both Intel and AMD for my business clients. By far I am a bigger fan of AMD on the desktop than Intel. I get a bigger bang for my money which makes my end users happier. As for quality I have installed hundreds of machines with AMD chips and haven't had a problem with them. If you are going the custom build route I would recommend a AMD chip, ASUS motherboard, Kingston RAM, and Win 7 64-bit. I have had the best luck with my whitebox solutions using that combo.
|=======================================================|
toad
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 pm

So what you're trying to say is, which chip keeps your BF2 Avitar from 'freezing up', when an azz-load of explosions are going off all around you causing your computer screen to light up the entire room, all while momentarily blinding you...Sounds like a job for BAT-MATT! :ninja:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby KOko » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 pm

(SWGO)MinasThirith wrote:Intel gives more suport.
Is more stable.
Is more reliable.
And its a higher qualety.

AMD in this case is faster yet i prefer qualety over speed.

Intel gives no support becouse you will never need support for CPU.
Intel is not more stable.
Intel is not more reliable.
Intel is not higher quality.

AMD is not faster.

(SWGO)MinasThirith wrote:Back about 6 years ago i had an AMD sempron +3200 it was supossed to run at 1.2GHZ instead it was running at 1GHZ.
Thats 20% diffrence.

So you got a smart CPU with power control and you didnt like it ?
Btw, Sempron 3200+ used to run at stock speed of 1.8 GHz - http://products.amd.com/(S(tvv5u2a3lutn1t3dy4qye345))/pages/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=147&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
(SWGO)MinasThirith wrote:Now im running an intel Q8200 Quad-core running at a technical 2.33GHZ yet whith no overclocking its working at 2.4GHZ thats 0.07GHZ faster per core than they say it does.

Now you got CPU that has not power control and you like it ?

toad wrote:I run both Intel and AMD for my business clients. By far I am a bigger fan of AMD on the desktop than Intel.

I use AMD for my home desktop and I don't think I will change to Intel any time soon.

But,... Phenom X4 is a joke. I say wait till the time to buy comes and decide then. I think the X6 Phenoms will be in your price tag by then.
Retired member of SWGO 2006~2011.
KOko
Community Member

Postby haasd0gg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:54 am

AMD scarred me for life with their stupid k6 2.
They can suck it. jerks.
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby Matt-Chicago » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 am

LOL Haas, I had a K6-2 in the first computer I bought after college, a Compaq I think.

Anyways, I've been building my own systems since that one (1997/8), always used AMD and have had no issues at all.
I think AMD is a much better value if you're building the system yourself, but I wouldn't shy away from a pre-configured Intel.
To me, either will work, it's all about the specs. Whatever you do, don't call it ADM.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Next

Return to Tech support