Intel or AMD?

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: Intel or ADM?

Postby Corpse » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Matt-Chicago wrote: Whatever you do, don't call it ADM.

4give me sir im sory :(

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm not building it myself so I guess it'll just be determined by price nearer the time.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby haasd0gg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:46 pm

adam.jpg
adam.jpg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

remember this AD(a)M?
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby Jedi Power » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:37 am

Wow tape drive! Time to break out the Commador Vic20.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Origin ID: SWGO_Jedi_Power

Postby haasd0gg » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:31 am

lol yeah... adam sucked horribly, but colecovision is still a win to this day :ninja:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby Jedi Power » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:18 am

We should be playing Pong, not Battlefront II. :lol:
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Jango_Fred » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:01 pm

I think both chips are decent quality. I Have used AMD processors in all of my custom built systems with no problems and I have purchased all of my notebook PCs with Intel processors with no issues. SO, I guess I have no input of real quality.

I think I still have a copy of the Ghostbusters game for Commodorer64 on cassette tape.

When you have a bunch of pullers...sort of like playing Pong, no?
Its not class or ideology, color, creed or roots, the only thing that unites us is Dr Marten's BOOTS!
Jango_Fred
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Jedi Power » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:27 pm

lol.... very true!
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Yanoda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Both Chips have their strengths.
Intel chips have usually a better performance, but price to performance ratio is the advantage of the AMD chips.

As well, I would recommend you wait a little longer if possible before purchasing the parts. Both companies are planning to release this year the new Socket versions (Intel socket 1155 H2 & AMD socket Am 3+) it would help your new system be 'future proof' a little longer. Also in consideration, some sites say that the performance ratios between using triple channel vs dual channel is minimal if RAM is a major factor for your choice too.

If you plan to get another new system within a year or two then it wouldn't matter with the new socket versions. If you're not into top performance for gaming or other programs that require high amounts of processing power, then getting the current powerful/expensive chips would not be recommended either.

Most importantly! Before purchasing the parts, double check their specs and make sure that they are compatible with each other.

I would also (if you haven't already) recommend having a case with built in filters that reduce the dust build up and it eases the cleaning substantially, it makes one enjoy the computer even more.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:32 am

Also corpse.

I told you before on Xfire.

A CPU core isnt that important to gaming.

Meaning that the RAM and the grafical card are the most important factors (GPU is the most important of these 2)

Im still running a 775 Quad-core Q8200 at 2.33GHZ.

I can play crysis at full grafics whith it.

Like i told you there whith the Nvidea grafics you plan to take(the 460GTX) you whouldnt need a Core that fast.

Hence why i have Intel for me its more reliable......anyhow i have this thing for over 2 years now i changed everything in my computer more than once but not my CPU.

Edit: if anyone doesent know what crysis is like than look at this video.
It still holds the title of most realistic game ever.
And crysis2 is releasing soon :punk: :punk:

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby BurzaP » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:14 pm

(SWGO)MinasThirith wrote:My advice: intel

Speed is nice but.

Intel gives more suport.
Is more stable.
Is more reliable.
And its a higher qualety.

AMD in this case is faster yet i prefer qualety over speed.

Bullsh*t man,
Corpse, depends on what you need. Generally, if it goes about 2 core processors or 3 choose AMD, cheaper and speed better in this segment than if you choose Intel + you don't need to spend a fortune for a new mobo. Those processors are the best choice for gaming. Only a really small numbers of new games (2, maybe 3) use more than 2 cores. Howerver, if you need more than 4 cores(well, for gaming it's useless, just a waste of money, trust me. It has the same sense what buying a tank as a car. You won't use it fully and for sure not on roads. 4 cores are good for programms like Archicad or any other graphics programms).
Plus there is a matter of graphic card, tell me what quality of gaming you expect and money you can spend on it and I will advice you the best one.
My comp is 2 years old, it has GTX 260, 4GB RAM, Intel E7200 really good for OC and it has faced all challenges so far. And buy 4 GB RAM well known companies, not less-will slow down the comp and there is no point to buy more, nothing will use it.
500 GB harddrive is a minimum, sounds maybe a little bit crazy but e.g. SWTFU needs 25GB plus some vids you may want to have on a comp.
And casing(??? idk how to call it in english, the thing which securies your comp from dust and where you put everything)-not looking good but with many holes(ee, I mean, that the air can go through it without any prolems). And here you go...
To sump up, gimme a call on xfire I will tell you what is the best choice in certain costs. If you want to, of course.

and last thing, Don't buy comps in markets!!!! NO quality, only marketing, it what is sold in markets is for idiots who will spend money just to "save some time on thinking". Your comp won't work properly and you will spend much more money on services plus its components are chosen not for quality but to be best looking in adverts. 'Graphics card 1 gigaaaaa wowwwwwww.' really? it gives nothing if it's contruction isn't good.
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." -Roger Federer
C'mon Roger!
BurzaP
SWBF2 Admin

Location: Stawiguda (not this galaxy if you want to find me...)
Xfire: burzap
Steam ID: vorrtz

PreviousNext

Return to Tech support