AHHH!! can't play!!! getting withdrawl

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

AHHH!! can't play!!! getting withdrawl

Postby burzerker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:47 am

Well, my game has been crashing after a few minutes of play. I'm trying to figure out if it's a hardware issue or a software problem. I'm kind of leaning towards hardware right now. When the game crashes the game music keeps playing and I can usually alt-tab and get the windows task bar to shut it down. THe video on the screen is totally frozen and there's some Matrix like dots that cover the screen. I've reinstalled the game and tried it again with no help. I think tomorrow I'm going to try to instal on another partition and see if that might work.. if not video card crapped out?? Anyone know a good test program that's free for that? Any other ideas would be appreciated.
"The democracy will ceases to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
burzerker
SWBF2 Admin

Re: AHHH!! can't play!!! getting withdrawl

Postby Matt-Chicago » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:13 am

Since you can play for a minute or two before it quits out, there's a chance your video card is getting too hot.
What video card are you using?

First thing I'd do is open up the case, spray off any dust with compressed air and make sure all the fans are working.

Did you recently update any drivers or do some kind of system change or did this just start happening out of the blue?
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby burzerker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 pm

It started happening out of the blue, I'm pretty sure now it's the video card. I tried cleaning the dust off the board and that seems to have killed it ..lol... now it has pink squares all over the screen when i power up the computer and I can get to the windows loading screen but as soon as it switches the the user selection screen it craps out totally. Looks my northboard fan is toast too hopefully the chip didn't die
"The democracy will ceases to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
burzerker
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Matt-Chicago » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 pm

You could get a computer just for SWBF2...
$119 with XP http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 5&csid=_21
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby burzerker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 am

Ya that's a good processor and mb i guess.. the rest though.. needs graphics card to support dvi, have to replace hd (could use my own but would have to reformat).. have to add my sound card... think I'll just go with a new video card :) good excuse to upgrade anyway (found pny geforce 9400 for $40). Too bad my mb doesn't so the pci-e 2.0 , at least they're backwards compatible. Thanks for looking though.
burzerker
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Corpse » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Matt-Chicago wrote:You could get a computer just for SWBF2...
$119 with XP http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 5&csid=_21

Those are the PCs my school uses. I've seen refurbished versions of them on Amazon for £30.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby [m'kay] » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 pm

burzerker wrote:It started happening out of the blue, I'm pretty sure now it's the video card. I tried cleaning the dust off the board and that seems to have killed it ..lol... now it has pink squares all over the screen when i power up the computer and I can get to the windows loading screen but as soon as it switches the the user selection screen it craps out totally. Looks my northboard fan is toast too hopefully the chip didn't die

tell me you didn't use a paper towel oh lord
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby burzerker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:32 am

No i didn't user papertowel.. I'm an electronics tech and work with circuit boards all day. I did switch my northboard fan to a heatsink so I don't run into that problem again.. as for the video card, it's dead now.. the new one is awesome though, and i only get half the bandwidth with my pci-e. can't imagine how much better if i could use it's full potential. Hmmm maybe when I get that kegputer :th_a017:
burzerker
SWBF2 Admin

Return to Tech support